29 comments

Drama Romance


I sit, curled up in the middle of my queen sized bed, pressing the cold ultrasound picture against my feverish stomach. It won’t cool me down, or fill the fictitious oversized hole, but for a moment I imagine it does. I imagine that I’m still 14. I imagine that I never met Tristan. I imagine that my shoes and clothes still fit. I imagine that my mom doesn’t hate me. I imagine that I’m normal. I imagine that I’m not 15 with a child. 


Slight movement on the other side of the room makes me sit up. Gianna stirs in her sleep, attempting to flip onto her tummy. Red flags go up in my mind. I scurry to the hand-me-down bassinet and gently tilt her onto her back.


A tear appears as I caress her soft cheek, landing on her minuscule hand. I touch her palm gingerly and the tears begin to flow. Another living, human being is on this earth because of me. She needs me. And I feel like I’ve failed already, by making me her mother. I’m not experienced. I don’t know anything. Gigi deserves more. She doesn’t need me. She needs someone who will give her the best. Anyone will be better than me. 


But when I brought up adoption to my mom, she shut down the idea immediately. “She’s your responsibility. And needs a mother- her real mother.” She needs anyone but me.


I tip-toe out of my room, steering clear of all the creaky floorboards, not ready to see my mom’s disappointed eyes again. When I reach the kitchen I automatically go to the sugar-free side, but soon remember that I’m not carrying a child anymore. What I eat doesn’t mirror another human’s health right now. But going near the junk food or anything that I haven’t eaten in the past few months seems wrong. This whole situation is wrong. 


My wrists begin to itch. I ball my hands into fists, willing myself not to give into the temptation. Willing myself not to open more wounds. Even though visible cuts could never hurt as much as the internal ones do. 


A crying sound comes from the baby monitor on my hip, snapping me out of the dark thought spiral I was about to fall into. 


My mom is already reaching over the cradle when I get to the room. My stomach does a flip, kicking my heart. We've been avoiding each other for the past few days and I’m not ready to see the permanent disappointed look on her face yet. 


I cast my eyes down and wring my hands, feeling her gaze burn into me. I’m sorry. Please forgive me. I love you. It wasn’t my fault. All the words I want to say but never will be able to. She’ll say okay when I tell her I’m sorry, she’ll say I always forgive you, I’ll always love you, it’s not your fault. But it will all mean nothing. Because in the end, I know that no apology, no words, can ever mend the bond between us. 


But I can’t help but wish that when I sneak a glance at her, that the hurt and hatred would be gone. That she'd accept me as her daughter again, no matter how messed up I was. Gianna needs a mother. I needed a mother. I hate myself. I hate myself. I hate myself. She needs someone better. Someone who knows how to love her. Someone who knows how to love themselves. 


 ''Jas,'' My mom's voice scares the negative thoughts away. ''I want to talk to you.''


My stomach drops this time. The last time we ''talked,'' I told her I was having a baby. I follow her out of the bedroom down the hallway and into the living room. She gestures for me to sit next to her on the couch. 


“Giana needs a strong woman to take care of her and I know I haven't always been the best role model but that is the type of person Gianna needs.She wipes a tear and takes my hands in hers. “A woman who can defend her, a woman who will pick her up when she falls. A woman who any child would be proud to call their mother and most importantly, a woman who will love her like she is the only thing in the world that truly matters. You will be that woman. Age is just a number, Jas, don’t you see? Just because you are young doesn’t mean you cannot be an inspiring mother. You are already ready to be the mother Gianna needs, I’ve seen it, now all you need to do is see it yourself. You can be that woman who will inspire Gianna to reach for the stars. And Jas, I want you to know, that no matter what happens, I will always, always, love you. Never ever forget that. I don’t care about that stupid boy, I don’t care that you sometimes wish I was different, I don’t care that you have a child. You are all that I care about and I love you.”


Tears stream down her face as I go to hug her. We cry, and laugh, and hold each other. And in that moment, I realized three important things.


Adulthood doesn’t begin when you turn 18. Taking your responsibilities seriously doesn’t start when your parents finally kick you out. And true love isn’t always with the person you plant to marry someday. You become an adult when you are experienced in life. Making decisions that have an end result of good or bad. And believe me I know a few things about making bad decisions. Serious responsibilities start when you establish self love and a caring heart for the people around you. And true love? Well. ‘Love is a fickle thing,’ a girl once told me. And I don’t have it all figured out. No one does. But what I do know, is that when I hold Gianna close to my chest or when her deep brown eyes meet mine, holding my gaze as if I’m her favorite person in the world. Those fireworks? Those are as close to perfect as anything will ever get. 







August 25, 2020 01:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

29 comments

Lilliane Wei
18:44 Aug 25, 2020

I love your story! Its amazingly written, especially the last paragraph, it was truly inspiring . This is really a beautiful story and I could really feel all of the emotions you were trying to convey. Great job and best of luck on the competition!

Reply

🄼🄹 🅂
19:22 Aug 25, 2020

Thank you so much! I had a little bit of inspiration for the last paragraph, and a lot of help with the speech. I wish you the best of luck!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:46 Aug 25, 2020

Wowowowowow! It was amazing! 😍 I love how you convey the thoughts and feelings of the main character! It really made me feel as if I were there, watching her cry 😭 I wish you the best luck! 🍀👍🏼❤️

Reply

🄼🄹 🅂
02:11 Aug 25, 2020

Thanks Mo- I mean, Snowy. I appreciate it ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
D. Shikha
03:18 Sep 03, 2020

This was so beautiful!! I loved the things her mother said so much!! Very nicely done. Good job👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Thom With An H
17:41 Aug 26, 2020

You asked me to read this and I did but please don't thank me because it was my pleasure. This story was so raw and so real. You told us a story that took place over 15 minutes or so and somehow I could see her whole life and even a little of her mothers. You didn't sugarcoat the struggles she's had or the ones to come but you left us with hope. You left her with hope. I don't want to pry but this sounds almost like non-fiction, it's that real. You are talented in both idea and execution. First rate.

Reply

🄼🄹 🅂
18:24 Aug 26, 2020

Thank you so much that means a lot! It's inspired by some true stories that I've heard and I really tried to put myself in their shoes. When I started this I didn't know how it would go but I'm glad I stuck to it and that you like it. You're comment says exactly what I wanted the story to show. Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:50 Aug 26, 2020

Wow, this was beautiful!

Reply

🄼🄹 🅂
00:56 Aug 26, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

00:57 Aug 26, 2020

No problem! P. S. Would you mind checking out my story ‘The Choosings—Part 1’? Thanks!

Reply

🄼🄹 🅂
00:59 Aug 26, 2020

Of course, I'd love to!

Reply

01:38 Aug 26, 2020

Thanks! ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
04:55 Aug 25, 2020

Wow!!!! The emotions were conveyed wonderfully. Lovely story. Great story for the prompt. Waiting for your next.... Would you mind reading my story "Secrets don't remain buried?"

Reply

🄼🄹 🅂
17:11 Aug 25, 2020

Thank you so much! I'd love to read your story, I'll check it out.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
SR M
03:57 Aug 25, 2020

Omg this is soooo soo soo amazingggg I can't wait to read more of ur writing!!!

Reply

🄼🄹 🅂
04:22 Aug 25, 2020

Ahh thank youuu ❤️❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Whitney Jones
17:23 Feb 23, 2021

This is a lovely story. It was so rich and it was well written. With some real driving emotions. OMG, it was such a LOVELY STORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY!!!!!!!

Reply

🄼🄹 🅂
20:59 Feb 23, 2021

Thank you so much! I’m glad you liked it. You might like my most recent story “Death Is History Too” could you check it out if you get a chance? Thanks again for reading :) -Mj

Reply

Whitney Jones
22:54 Feb 23, 2021

I sure can, once I have the time. I'm finna get off the computer and eat and read. You are so very welcome. It was my pleasure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
05:18 Dec 06, 2020

My gosh, Mj, I cannot stop reading this. Its just so perfect, I can't tell you how amazing this story was. It just conveys so much tender feelings and is such a very good story.

Reply

🄼🄹 🅂
02:16 Dec 21, 2020

Aww thank you so much. I had an amazing co-writer as well. I've developed so much because of her. I hope you'll like the rest of my stories just as much!

Reply

Lilliane Wei
01:10 Dec 22, 2020

I do, your writing is just spectacular.

Reply

🄼🄹 🅂
18:28 Dec 22, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Genevieve Taylor
03:42 Sep 11, 2020

This was such a good story! You filled it with so much emotion, but your writing didn't seem stiff or forced. I especially loved the paragraph at the end. It was so beautifully written, and taught such a good lesson. It was also a great way to end this story. "Adulthood doesn't begin when you turn 18," is such a true sentiment, but I've never heard it expressed so perfectly like that before. Great work! Stay safe and keep writing, Vieve

Reply

🄼🄹 🅂
04:14 Sep 11, 2020

Thank you so much, that means a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Ulrich
15:13 Sep 04, 2020

♡ This was just awesome. Your writing flows so well and the emotion you put into this story made me want to cry along with the character.

Reply

🄼🄹 🅂
17:12 Sep 04, 2020

I'm so glad you liked it, just the affect I wanted :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sandra Claros
23:03 Sep 02, 2020

Love is such a subtle and difficult thing to understand. So, it is a lit more subtle and difficult to take it into action. I just loved the story.

Reply

🄼🄹 🅂
02:28 Sep 03, 2020

Thank you very much! If you get a chance could you check out my most recent story and tell me what you think? I'm actually in the process of writing a part 2 for this week.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.