0 comments

General

It was an early Tuesday morning when i got something in the mail. it was a letter.

The letter stated "Ms Wilbur you are now the proud winner of the for the 12th national poetry contest. your prize is a $200 cash prize in which you'll be able to pick how and where you would like to spend it. Congratulations on your win we will be sending you your author's choice book shortly”

I actually won! 

To be honest I didn't think I would really win the competition at all. there was so many people submitting work to poetry nation.

I ran into my bedroom, grabbed my coat off the hook and grabbed my shoes out of my closet, I walked over to my couch sat down and to put my shoes on. I walked over to my purse and put my money in it. I slid my arms through the sleeve of my coat, zipped it up and slid my purse over my shoulder. Then I ran all the way to the bookstore. Passed the Mississippi river and passed the cherry blossom trees. Right down the street to the bookstore. When I walked in the store, I looked around. That's when I decided I would go to the ‘help yourself section’ instead of waiting for somebody to show me books.

“Lets see what we have here”

There was so many books! I couldn't choose between the science fiction or the anime section.

Seeing how i had the complete series for my hero academia, black butler, kishima kiss, kiss him not me, inuyasha, Tokyo ghoul and the complete fairy tale series. I didn't think I needed anymore at all.

So I decided on the science fiction section. 

They had all types of books differing from goosebumps to the Vladimir Tod series. They also had the harry potter series. Well, I already had all the goosebumps books and all the Vladimir Tod series and the Harry Potter series so I had to decide on something else. I honestly could not chose there was so many books that I wanted. But there was only one that I truly wanted was ‘crispin the cross of lead’ even thought it was included as a children's novel, I didn't care I had to let my inner child out. I had the rest of the series so I wanted that book so bad. I looked in the author section A through D. Just as I got to the section where the book was there was already a man they're reaching for the book at the same time that I was.

“Sorry ms did you want this book?” says the nice young man

‘Um yes sir i have the rest of the series thow i can't really read until i have this book.”

“Oh really you have the series. I heard it was a good book. Is it?” he sounded so surprised. It was like he had never seen a person that likes to read so much. Much yet a woman wanting a children's novel.

“Yes a lot of my friends said that it was a very good book”

“well i guess that you really do love to read then” 

“Absolutely do I actually have looked for this book for a while so I could complete my collection and actually read the series so I'm not left out of some conversations with my friends”

“What is it about?” he look a little confused but laughed 

“I don't really know let's try reading the back then”

13-year-old boy, known only as Asta's Son, lives as a peasant in the village of Stromford. His village is part of the territory of the feudal Lord Furnival, which, in Furnival's absence, is under the control of the steward, John Aycliffe. When his mother dies, Asta's Son is left alone, as he has no other known relatives. Shortly afterwards, John Aycliffe falsely accuses him of theft, and declares him a Wolf's Head meaning he was not human so anyone could kill him.”

“ wow that sounds so tragic and sounds like such a good book”

“ well i guess the author wanted to write about how life was like back then and what some people went threw”

“Well i think that description of the book does justice”

That's when I relived that we both really did like that book. So I had to ask i just didn't know how to.

“Um … sir … did you want the book?”

“No i think you should have it” 

“Are you sure?”

“ you did say that you were looking for this book for a while. So you should have it”

“Thank you so much sir” 

The nice man just smiled, handed me the book and walked away.

To be honest that was the nicest thing that anybody has ever done for me.

I walked up to the checkout line. Placed my book down to pay for it.

“That will be a total of $12.99 ms.”

I reached into my purse and grabbed out a ten and three ones, and placed them on the counter.

“ thank you have a wonderful day” says the nice woman at the desk

As I walked out the door I see the nice young man who gave up on the book and just gave it to me. 

To be honest I felt so bad.

But if i were to give it to him would he feel threatened or triggered?

So I just took my time on my way home to take in all of my surroundings.

From the beautiful Mississippi river to the beautiful cherry blossom trees.

When I got home I put my purse on the stand by the door and took my coat off and tossed it on the back of the couch.

I slid my shoes off and left them by the door. 

I walked over to my chair sat down. I Reached over to the lamp by the chair.

Smiled at the thought of the nice young man letting my get the book. 

Smiled and said “thank you”

I started to read “THE DAY AFTER MY MOTHER died, the priest and I wrapped her body in a shroud and carried her to the village church. Our burden was not great In life she had been a small woman with little strength Death made her even less.



January 22, 2020 15:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.