Good Things Don't Come Easy

Submitted into Contest #14 in response to: Someone in the story has a lot of hard lessons to learn.... view prompt

0 comments

General

While hunting, Arthur and Merlin see a unicorn. Despite Merlin's protests, Arthur kills the beautiful creature to bring the crass Uther its horn as an ornament. The foolish father and son ignore Gaius's warning that it is bad luck to kill a unicorn, but soon the crops wither and the well water turns to sand. The mystic Anhora, the guardian of the unicorns, arrives in Camelot to tell Arthur that his stupidity has cursed the land and he alone can lift that curse. This involves his learning much-needed humility before riding to the Labyrinth of Gedref, where he will be tested. Merlin follows him but, by doing so, places both boys in danger. Unusually, it is Arthur who saves the day with a demonstration of selflessness, ultimately restoring the welfare of Camelot and the unicorn itself. Arthur would not let Merlin drink the poison, and deceived him into looking away, while he combined the liquids, and drank it. Merlin fell to his knees as he watched Arthur fall, and asked why. The keeper of Unicorns said, to see if he would give the greatest sacrifice for his kingdom. To see if he is one of a true heart. In the end, Arthur learned his lesson, buried the Unicorn. When one of a true heart regrets the deed, then the Unicorn would be brought back to life.

Unusually, it is Arthur who saves the day with a demonstration of selflessness, ultimately restoring the welfare of Camelot and the unicorn itself. “When he who kills a unicorn proves to be pure of heart, the unicorn will live again.” A Unicorn is a magical creature that inhabits the lands of Albion, including Camelot.

November 07, 2019 16:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.