0 comments

General

He promised himself that he would do it on the first day of spring, and today was that day. He knew what had to be done, but he didn’t know how he was going to do it. Adam looked down at the little black box on the counter, knowing what was inside. He’s been looking at it every day for the past three months, saying “Not today, maybe tomorrow”. Even Chloe’s parents have been growing impatient with his procrastination. 

Adam managed to escape his thoughts long enough to answer his phone. “It’s time, Adam.”, Mr. Jacobs said in an authoritative tone. Adam gulped and nodded, realizing after that Mr. Jacobs could not see him. “Of course, I promise I will get it done today.”, Adam said, holding the box in his free hand, opening it. “I hope so. Don’t make me regret what my wife and I did.”, Mr. Jacobs said threateningly before hanging up the phone. Adam sighed, closing the small box, and tucking it in his pocket. 

He spent hours cleaning himself up for dinner that night. The clock read 3:00 pm, and Adam knew he had to leave now unless he wanted to be late. Every year, on the first day of spring, Chloe’s parents throw a dinner party, and Adam decided it would be the perfect setting for what he needed to do tonight. 

The drive to the Jacobs’s house was short, about 20 minutes from Adam’s apartment. As tradition stands, each guest has to bring something to the dinner, from pie to paper plates and plastic spoons. Adam carried his bowl of homemade whipped cream, which was Chloe’s favorite on Mr. Jacobs’s apple pie. Plus, it’s the closest that Adam can get to actual cooking. Adam managed to find room on the crowded dessert table, and began greeting people. 

Mr. Jacobs eventually found Adam, leading him to a spare guest bedroom. “Adam, I want you to know why I gave you my blessing. I gave you permission to marry my daughter because I trust you to treat her well, and be there for her when I cannot. I am trusting you with one of the greatest joys in my life, and you better not hurt her.”, Mr. Jacobs said half formally, half threateningly. Adam nodded, and reached into his pocket. The small box was now in his hands, velvety and containing a priceless Jacobs family heirloom. 

“I promise to take care of your daughter and love her with all of my heart. I promise that I will never hurt her, or put her in harm’s way. I am honored that you trust me to care for one of your greatest joys, and I promise to cherish and appreciate every moment I will ever have with her.”, Adam said, holding the box where Mr. Jacobs could see it. 

“Why are you sitting around telling me all of this, and not the woman you want to marry?”, Mr. Jacobs asked, pointing out the window to Chloe. Adam smiled, and gave Mr. Jacobs a bro hug. “Thank you Francois.”, Adam said, before walking outside to get to Chloe. 

Chloe was wearing her favorite floral patterned blouse and a pair of jeans. Adam noticed how she was wearing the bracelet he made for her out of the leftover twine of an unsuccessful DIY attempt. He smiled and hugged Chloe from behind, making sure that the box was put back into his pocket. Chloe gasped at first, and turned around to hug Adam. “Hello, lovely. I’ve missed you.”, Adam said, planting a quick kiss on Chloe’s nose. “Hello, darling, you know I’ve missed you too.”, Chloe said softly, smiling across at the man she fell in love with eight months ago. For a few moments, while the lovebirds enjoyed each other’s presence, the photographer snapped a quick photo of them. Chloe chuckled and hooked her arm with Adam’s. 

Around 20 minutes of socializing later, Adam decided it was time. Chloe was distracted by Mrs. Jacobs while Adam got down on one knee. Then, like an idiot, Adam noticed that his shoe was untied. He shoved the little box back into his pocket and tied his shoelace quickly. 

The moment had passed. Chloe moved on to play freeze tag with the young children. Adam loudly sighed, and Mrs. Jacobs frowned. Adam’s head hung low, ashamed of his cowardliness. 

Before Adam another chance, Mr. Jacobs announced that it was time for dinner. The children ran excitedly to the dessert table, being shooed off by their parents until they ate dinner first. The remaining adults waited for their turns, including Chloe and Adam. As plates were filled and seats were taken, Mr. Jacobs quieted everyone by tapping his fork to his champagne glass. 

“I’d like to thank everybody for being here tonight to celebrate the beginning of our favorite season, spring! Everybody here is either a close friend, or family, or both! I am confident that this spring will top the others by far.”, Mr. Jacobs said, sending Adam a hopeful glance, and earning a soft nod in response. 

“Now, if anyone else would like to say anything, now would be the perfect time.”, Mr. Jacobs said. Chloe immediately stood up. “I’ll go next.”, She said excitedly, and Mr. Jacobs nodded, sitting down again for his daughter’s speech. 

“I want to say that I am hopeful that this is going to be the best spring ever. I recently decided to move in with my boyfriend, Adam, and I hope we can make many new memories living together.”, Chloe said, holding Adam’s hand, smiling at him. Then she turned towards the others again, and raised her glass of champagne. “To a hopeful future!”, Chloe said proudly, and others raised their glasses to the toast. Even the children at the other table raised their apple juice. 

Adam stood up as soon as Chloe sat down, ready for his speech. “In spirit of Chloe’s hopeful future, I know that I am hopeful for how these next few minutes will turn out. Of course I won’t know for sure until I ask, so I guess I better do it soon.”, Adam said, finally ready. No turning back now. 

Adam leaned down onto one knee, pulling out the small black box from his pocket, and opening it to display the ring inside. Chloe gasped, covering her mouth in the palm of her hand. “Chloe Jacobs, I love you, and there is no denying it. I want to spend the rest of my life with you, and I want a family with you. I am hopeful that my feelings are mutual, and that you also want to spend your life with me.”, Adam said, smiling. 

Chloe nodded, and engulfed Adam in a loving hug, separating only for Adam to put the ring on her finger. 

Adam woke up the next morning, looking over to see Chloe still asleep. Adam recalled the events of last night, and smiled to himself. It was perfect, like something out of a dream.


April 03, 2020 20:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.