I want to go to his house

Written in response to: Start your story with someone being forbidden from doing something.... view prompt

2 comments

Drama Kids Inspirational

“But mom. I promise I’m not doing anything dangerous at Jake’s house. I’m just hanging out like a normal teenage boy.” I moaned.

“Tyler, every day you come home from Jake's house beat up or with some crazy idea in your head that makes you do nothing more than break something of mine.” My mother scolded.

“But I can’t be forbidden from going to Jake’s house. What am I supposed to do during the day?” I asked.

“Well how about you stay home and watch your brother or go play with some other socialized kid.” My mother suggested.

“No.” I said. “You can’t stop me from going to Jake’s house.”

“Fine.” She said, “If you go to Jake’s house one more time before I get a chance to talk to someone who is responsible for him you don’t get to go to The SuperMerando Jango.” She threatened.

“What!!” I exclaimed. The SuperMerando Jango is a super famous wrestling team and I have been waiting to see them for like forever. When my mom finally decided I was old enough she bought tickets so we could go see them live! Now she was threatening to take that away.

“That’s right.” She said.

“Fineeeee. I won’t go to Jake’s house even though it’s going to be a big fat pain in the butt to have to sit here and do nothing all day.” I said.

“Ok then well as long as you don’t go to Jake’s then you’ll be happy as can be at The SuperMerano Jango.” She said. Then she kissed me on the top of the head and headed out for work.

After she left I went up to my room and picked up my phone to call Jake and tell him I couldn’t come over later but then I thought… my mom will have no idea. She isn’t here so as long as I’m back and I make sure not to get beat up or not show it anyways I can go. She has no way of tracking me. Little did I know how wrong I was.

I grabbed a bag and put my phone and a hat into it. Then I slung it over my shoulder and went down stairs. I grabbed a water bottle and snack and silently left the house. I checked my phone. I had exactly 2 hours and 40 minutes before my mom got home. If I was back in 2 hours and 30 minutes then I should be fine. I walked over to Jake’s house and climbed the fence into his yard.

“Hey man!” He said as he came over and patted me on the back.

“Hey buddy so my mom is all worried and stuff so I have to be home in 2 hours and 30 minutes because if I’m not she won't take me to The SuperMerando Jango.” I explained. 

“Wait man did she give you a time limit?” Jake asked.

“Not exactly but she doesn’t know I’m here. Your place is kind of forbidden right now so if anyone asked I was being a good big brother and watching my little brother.” I told him.

“Got it.” He said.

From there we had a great time. He had some of his other friends over so we all hung out for about 2 hours and then I heard a car door slam. I peaked over the fence. It was my mom! She was coming towards the house. I quickly ran back to Jake.

“Jake, my mom is here. I need to hide quickly.” I explained.

He nodded and opened his shed. I quickly grabbed my bag and ducked inside. I heard my mom ring the front door bell and when nobody answered she went over to the fence. 

“Hello?” She called.

“Oh hello Ms. Hudson.” Jake said, coming closer to her.

“Jake, my son is not supposed to be here but this tracking app says he is.” She said.

“Oh but…” Jake started.

“May I take a look around?” She asked.

“Oh sure.” He said, shooting an apologetic look at the shed where I was hiding.

My mother came through the gate built into the fence and began looking around. She was just about to leave when she saw something on the ground near the shed. With a silent curse I realized it was my phone. She walked over and picked it up and then looked at the shed. Slowly she opened the door and found me.

My mother didn’t say a word. She grabbed my shirt and hauled me out. She didn't even look at Jake. I did look though and I hoped my look passed as I hate you.

When we got home my mother sat me down at the kitchen table. She sat down to and then she spoke.

“Tyler, I told you not to go to Jake’s house...” She started.

“I know mom and I’m super super sorry. I just had nothing to do and I figured if we didn’t do anything dangerous...” I interrupted.

“Tyler it doesn’t matter if you're doing dangerous things I mean don’t but even if you hadn’t been doing something dangerous I would have still done what I did. I told you not to go. And because you still went I’m sorry but no SuperMerando Jango for you.” She finished.

“No mom please. Anything else.” I begged.

“I warned you and you didn’t listen. I’m super sorry but that’s what happens. Maybe in the future you’ll make better choices.” She told me.

I sighed. I knew there was no arguing with her. I was about to leave the kitchen when I said

“Hold on. How did you know what I was?”

“I got an app to track your phone because I suspected something like this might happen.” My mother explained.

“You were tracking me.” I asked.

“Yes.” She didn’t sound sorry. 

I dropped the subject and left the kitchen.

 Later that day I waved goodbye as my mom and brother went without me to The SuperMerando Jango. I didn’t get to go that night but I most certainly learned my lesson. Never do something you're not allowed to do even when you think you can do it in secret.

October 17, 2021 20:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

07:50 Dec 13, 2021

I loved your writing would like to make contribution to our team here is short introduction Sorry for inconvenience ignore it I am just bothering you We are Team Abhedya Racing; a group of passionate engineering undergraduates who participate in the BAJA competition organized by SAE at a National and International level. We have started this fundraiser to help fund our efforts in securing an All India Rank of 1 in the ongoing BAJA 2022 season. We have made it to an All India Rank of 6 in Phase 1 of the season where a panel of judges rated...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
12:49 Nov 15, 2021

Hello all! https://wp.me/pd3y1A-fD Please check out my latest post, THE VIRUS, YOU AND ME, a podcast. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did writing it! Dhwani Jain Dream DJ {https://djdhwanijain.wordpress.com/}

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.