0 comments

Fiction Teens & Young Adult Inspirational

“Welcome to Upstate North Hills Public Library,” the silver-haired woman, the picture of a stereotypical librarian, with her cat-eyed glasses and knee-length skirt, said as we walked through the doors of the library.

The UNH Library was a riches-to-rags scenario of sorts, as the building they used once was a grand old bank, with off-white columns and a large, intimidating dark wood door that looked as if it belonged to the creepy old house at the end of the street.

“It’s amazing,” I breathed, and I wasn’t lying an ounce. The high bookshelves and even higher ceilings made the library look like something out of a whimsical fairytale.

“Here’s the front desk,” the old woman- Miss McEntire, I believe she said her name was- waved a hand to the marble desk. “In case you need reminding, your job here is to help people find the books they’re looking for, and if they need help reaching them, you use those ladders over there, and you help them check out. Got it?”

I nod in response, but then realize I’m unsure of how well this woman can see, so I reply with a “Yes, ma’am.”

She waddles- yes, waddles- away, and I check out my small space from behind the desk. It was so amazing, finally being here. I know librarian seems kind of basic, and the type of job an old cat lady would want, but I found books fascinating, but I didn’t have any authorly talent, so I figured bookkeeper would be a great spot to be in.

I saw a little blonde girl in pigtails making her way across the carpeted floor to the desk, clutching around 5 books to her chest, chubby arms wrapped tightly around them. The tall, slender woman closely following her must have had been the girl’s mother, and she had the same shiny blonde hair to match.

“Hello!” I smiled sweetly as the girl placed her books on the counter. “Will that be all for you today?”

“Yes!” the girl smiled back at me, and a warmth flooded my heart.

“These are some great books,” I say, running each one underneath the scanner. They were my childhood classics- Charlotte’s Web, The Rainbow Fish, you get the gist.

“I’ve been trying to get Aubrey to read higher-level books. She’s a smart girl, especially for her age,” her mother sighed.

“Oh, really? How old is she?”

“I’m nine!” she exclaimed, holding up nine fingers in that little kid way.

“Wow, that’s cool!”

I finished checking them out, unsure of how to continue any conversation, and they walked out the big brown doors, disappearing onto main street.

The next person to approach me was a much older man, in his early 50s, I would guess, asking me very sweetly to help him get a book that was too high down for him.

I walked over to the shelf and he pointed to the row it was on. I moved the ladder over closer and began to climb, thinking how amazing this career was to finally have.

Later, at lunch time, I headed back to the break room and got to see McEntire again. What a joy.

“Hi!” I greeted, trying to be nice and polite.

She didn’t respond, just peered at me over her cat-eye glasses. In an attempt to start conversation and get to know my coworkers, I sat down across from her at the table and took out my lunch.

As I started eating my Subway sandwich, I swallowed and asked her how she was.

“Let me stop you right there,” she snapped. “This is my library. You’re new, and young, and stupid. This place is supposed to feel old-fashioned, but you youngin’s are in here ruining it. I suggest you realize you don’t belong here and get out.”

I was too stunned to respond. “I- um… but… then… why- why’d you hire me?”

“I’m not in charge of hiring decisions, you idiot!” she snarled.

“Excuse me!” I exclaim, standing up. “What did I ever do to you? I’ve been dreaming of this job forever, and a lot of people have helped me today, and I’ve literally done nothing to make this library lose it’s old-fashioned spirit, so I’m sorry I got hired, but you can either deal with it or leave!”

“Whatever!” I yell. Great comeback, Allie, I think to myself, clenching my fists.

Before either of us can say anything else, a curly-haired brunette girl came strutting in, glancing at us. “Um… what’s the commotion, Denise?” she blinked, I assume Denise was McEntire’s first name or something.

“Nothing. This new girl is harassing me.”

The girl eyed me up and down. “That true?”

“No!” I say, trying not to scream in frustration. Great first day at me dream job, huh? “Look, it’s clear she doesn’t want me here, so you guys don’t have to suffer through my help, alright? I’ll quit if you want me to.”

“I-” Denise started, but I cut her off.

“Not to point fingers and play the blame game, but Denise here kept harassing me about my age messing up the ‘old-fashioned’ vibe or whatever. So I’ll go if you dont wan’t me here.”

“Don’t listen to Denise,” curly-hair rolled her eyes. Denise glared at her. “I’m Skylar, the head librarian. Nice to meet you. Listen, we’ve had complaints about Denise from interns and new, young workers since she was hired. Yeah.”

I was amazed that she was saying this in front of the very person she was talking about’s face. “Um.”

“I know coworkers suck, but thank God for you Denise was just covering for Rachel. She’s out today, but you’ll love her. This should be the only day you have to deal with Denise.”

“But… why… if…”

“Why does Denise still work here? Cause despite her horrible personality-”

Denise gasped, and I did too at the harsh insult.

“She’s a great worker and is good with her non-coworkers.”

“Thanks?” Denise murmured, understandably unsure whether to treat Skylar’s last sentence as an insult or a compliment.

Skylar stepped up to me. “Just come in tomorrow as excited as you were when you first walked in, meet Rachel, and you’ll see how good it really is here.”

The next morning, I followed Skylar’s advice and pushed through the wooden doors of Upstate North Hills Public Library with a smile and gratitude of working in a place with such a fantastical, magical feeling.

Rachel was, in fact, amazing. She was young, sweet, and very enthusiastic about her work and the people involved. Skylar, Rachel, and I all became much closer friends as the months went on, and finally, I was proud to call UHC Library home.

September 02, 2021 23:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.