0 comments

Adventure Fiction Science Fiction

I leaned back against the filthy wall. Once again, I had leapt before I looked. Now, I was stuck here, in this filthy internment cell. I fingered my hair, now in tangles from the events of the past couple nights. Normally I could worm my way out of situations like this. But this time, I couldn’t see a way out. I closed my eyes and thought about what I had done to get me stuck in here.

My family owned a zoo full of exotic and rare creatures from different planets. I loved walking around in the mornings and checking in on all of them. This particular morning, I saw someone hanging outside of the cage of our chicken. The chicken was probably our most valued animal. It came from a planet millions of light years away. I frowned. He seemed unassuming, and he turned and smiled at me. Instead of calling my dad, I decided that I should go and talk to him.

“Hello sir! The zoo doesn’t open for another two hours.”

He took the cigar out of his mouth.

“Hello miss. I don’t suppose you’ve seen Mr. Lightburrow around here, have you?”

I narrowed my eyes. My dad didn’t go by that name anymore. We were on the run, and had been for many years.

“I’ve never heard of Lightburrow. My dad is Jeremy Scott, and I’m Camilla.”

He seemed taken aback, but said,

“Oh. I guess I can talk with your dad. I notice you have a chicken. I happen to be in possession of a rooster. I would be willing to make a deal with you.”

I almost jumped at the mention of a rooster. I had only ever seen our chicken. Not only was earth millions of light years away, but they were a hostile planet. Any attempt at communication, and they got all up in arms.  I had been trying to use this to justify what I did next.

“A rooster? I’m sure my father would be interested. Do you think… that maybe, I could see it really quick?”

He laughed.

“Yes, I actually have it in my car. Come with me if you like.”

Without a second thought, I nodded and followed him towards the car. Looking back, I realized that this was a stupid idea, but in my defense, the Azgors were a peaceful race. As we walked through the familiar paths of the zoo, the Azgor remained silent. It was then I realized that he had never given me his name. It was a long walk to the exit, so I decided to strike up conversation.

“How long have you had the rooster?”

“About a year.”

We trailed off into silence again. Finally, he spoke, but his topic was a little strange.

“Have you heard of the mutant projects they did on some Aszgors some twenty years back?”

My dad had warned me to always say no to these questions, but this guy seemed harmless enough, and I had never told anyone else. He didn’t even know my real name. I nodded yes.

“I’ve heard a little about it. Mostly rumors.”

He smiled.

“Yes, rumors can be vicious. I’ve studied them most of my life, trying to see where rumor meets reality. Tell me, have you ever seen any of these mutants?”

His question sent alarms ringing in my head, but I silenced them quickly. Apparently, my mother was one of the experiments, and her powers had been transferred to me when she died. My father discouraged use of them, and would never answer any questions. As risky as it was, this stranger seemed to have the information I so desperately needed.

“Actually, I am one.”

I admitted impulsively.

He turned quickly.

“You are what?”

“I got the powers from my mother”

When he said nothing, I willed flames to dance across my fingertips. A look of recognition flickered across his face.

“Amazing”

He breathed. I smiled. Finally, someone who was interested in what I could do. I closed my eyes and imagined the flames rising higher and taking shape. He let out an amazed chuckle, and I opened my eyes to see a phoenix swooping around my hand. I closed my hand into a fist and the flames went out. The stranger was looking at me in awe. We continued walking in silence until we reached the car.

He unlocked it, and I walked up to the door. When I opened it, there was indeed a rooster inside. I could hardly believe my eyes. I leaned in breathlessly when I was shoved from behind. The door slammed and I frantically tried to open it. The stranger got into the car.

“Who are you?”

“I am the man who created your mother. I gave her everything that made her special. It is unfortunate that she is dead, but I suppose you will do.”

I started to panic, and tried to force the flames to my fingers again. However, everything looked blurred, and the fire I usually felt in my veins felt sluggish. He laughed,

“Your mother could never perform under pressure either. She always panicked.”

I spent the rest of the car trip trying to burn him alive. I was unsuccessful. Once we arrived, he pushed me into a room filled with scientists. The one who abducted me said,

“Nala, please demonstrate the abilities you gained from subject #3.”

I stood still for a moment, my brain barley processing the fact that he already seemed to know my real name. Then, I lifted my hand, and tried to summon the flames. As before, I felt woozy, and nothing happened. An elderly scientist approached me with a needle. I eyed him suspiciously.

“Don’t come anywhere near me with that.”

I snarled. He simply grabbed my arm and injected it quickly. I gasped.

“What is that?”

“Nothing to worry about. It will simply reduce the stress of the situation. Please, try again.”

I crossed my arms.

“No.”

The scientists rolled their eyes.

“Try again.”  

Said my abductor. He stepped up to me and I flinched.

“Do it”

I willed the flames to appear, and they did. After that, I was put into a little cell, that used to be white, but was filled with dirt and grime. After the scientists left, I started trying to escape. If my mother did, so could I. I searched every inch of the cell. I even resorted to throwing tiny fire balls at the walls and bars. However, lack of practice proved to be my undoing.

Now, I sit in my cell, and look at the singe marks of the walls. I know that there is a way out, and that I will find it. I just have to be patient. 

May 27, 2021 04:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.