4 comments

Fiction

“Sorry I’m late. Traffic was a nightmare.”

“Good to see you made it in one piece. Come on, sweetheart, take a seat. Have you thought about where we should go on vacation? How about Paris? We've always said we'd get there someday.”

“I just got here, Frank. Let me at least take off my coat and unwind, for heaven’s sake! ”

“Fine, I’ll get the waiter’s attention.”

“It’s nice to see you again, Mr. and Mrs. Lucas. What can I bring you today?”

 “Good afternoon, Simon. I’ll have a glass of ice water with a lemon slice.”

 “I’ll have the same. I’d also like to see a menu.”

 “Two ice waters coming up. I’ll be back in a moment with menus.”

“Do you think he heard you ask for lemons? He always forgets the lemons!”

 “Why all of a sudden do you need to see a menu, Leona?”

 “What’s wrong with perusing the menu?”

 “We’ve been having lunch here for an eternity. You always order the same thing, but now you want to see a menu?”

 “It’s been a while. The menu may have changed. Some things do change, you know.”

“One water with a twist for each of you. Here are the menus you requested. I’ll be back momentarily to take your order.”

“Shall we toast us?”

"I’d rather not…”

“To my darling Leona. Thirty blissful years married to my best friend. Who could ask for more?”

“Can you get the waiter’s attention? I’m ready to order.”

 “What can I get you?”

 “What are your lunch specials?”

 “Specials for today include steak and cheese served on your choice of bread or roll, the ever-popular tuna melt served on marble rye bread, and the special of the day is beef stroganoff.” 

 “I’ll have the steak and cheese sandwich on a bulky roll. How about you, Frank?”

 “I’m not hungry. Bring me an order of fries and a side salad.”

 “He’ll have the tuna melt with that side salad. Blue cheese dressing.”

 “Very good.”

“Leona, when I say I’m not hungry, it means I’m not hungry, so why do you insist on ordering for me? I’m not a child.”

“Well, don’t go getting your panties in a bunch, Frank. It’s just a habit. It’s my job to make you comfortable in every way.”

“Is that a hint of sarcasm I hear in your voice?”

“This isn’t what we ordered.”

“Oh, I am sorry, wrong table! I’ll be right back with your food.”

“You would think the wait staff could get an order correct just once.”

“Leona, he wasn’t the one who took our order. It’s a simple mix-up. Now look who’s getting their panties in a bunch.”

“Ok, here we go. One steak and cheese for the lady and one tuna melt with a side salad for the gentleman. I do apologize for the mix-up. Anything else you need?”

“No we are good.”

 “Enjoy your meal.”

“Leona, you aren’t eating. Are you ok?”

“Frank... I can’t do this anymore.”

“Can’t do what anymore? What are you talking about?”

“I’m leaving…”

“But you just got here.”

“No, Frank, I’m leaving for good. I’m leaving you. It’s time for me to move on.”

“What? Are you joking?”

“No, I’m not joking. I’m filing for a divorce.”

“Wait… are you serious? But why? How, how can you walk away from everything we are to each other? Everything we’ve been through together?”

“What do you mean, why? It’s obvious, Frank. If you were home more, you might take notice. Your work has become more important than your wife. Ever since we lost the twins, you’ve been obsessed with your work. We’re thirty-plus years into this relationship, yet here we are meeting at the same hole-in-the-wall restaurant once a week for lunch when you aren’t traveling, ordering the same food.”

“It’s not just-a-hole-in -the-wall. That’s the name of the place. An upscale diner owned by people we’ve known all our lives. The diner has an excellent reputation.” 

“And when I try to mix it up by asking for a menu, you think there’s something wrong with me. Nothing ever changes.”

“Losing the twins was fifteen years ago, Leona.”

“It will be sixteen years next month. I'm not surprised you don't remember.”

“I remember. But I’ve learned to keep going.”

“No, you moved on. You run a thriving business with well-to-do clients. You act like it never happened. Where does that leave me?”

“Hard work and determination built that thriving business. The financial security we’ve enjoyed because of it doesn’t seem to bother you. You have your art studio. You spend most of your time out there. I thought you were happy with it. And some of my clients are our dearest friends.”

“Your dearest friends, not mine. You don’t even come into the studio to see my work.”

 “Can I refill you drink, sir?”

 “Do you have beer on tap?”

 “Frank, since when do you drink?”

 “I don’t, but this is certainly the perfect time to start! Never mind the beer, what brand of whiskey do you have?

 “We serve Jack Daniel’s, Jim Beam and Wild Turkey, Sir.” 

 “Give me Jim Beam.”

 “Yes, sir, coming right up.”

 “And keep ‘em coming!”

 “You haven’t answered my question, Frank. When did you start drinking?”

“At the risk of repeating myself, my dear Leona, I don’t drink, but the news you just sprang on me out of the blue calls for more than lemon water.”

 “I’ve made up my mind, Frank. I’m meeting with a lawyer this afternoon.”

 “Leona, I don’t even know why we’re discussing this over lunch. Can’t this wait until I get home tonight?”

 “No, our problems aren’t something that can be fixed over lunch - or dinner.”

 “It’s just...it, it seems so impulsive of you to give up after all these years. I’m not willing to give up on us. Don’t you remember all the dreams we had walking the beach in Key Largo and Montego Bay? What about Paris?”

 “Lower your voice, Frank. You’re yelling.”

 “I’m not yelling, and I’m not going to argue with you, Leona.”

 “Paris? That is so cliché, Frank. We’ll always have Paris but it’s time you accept that our marriage is over.”

“How was your meal? Ready for dessert?”

“Can’t you see we’re in the middle of a discussion?”

“I apologize, m’am.”

“No, dessert, thanks. Could you bring me a refill… Leona, calm down. You didn’t have to snap at the waiter. That was rude.”

“I’m sorry. I need time away.”

“Why now, Leona? We’ve been through everything together. Good stuff, bad stuff and everything in between. We even managed to grieve the twins together.”

“You are yelling again, Frank. We never truly grieved for the twins. Not together, anyway. You were in your own little world. A world you shut me out of. We’ve grown in different directions; grown apart.”

“So, this is it, then?

 "If you don't lower your voice, I'm walking out."

“Hold on, give me a minute to get the check. Waiter!”

“That’s it. I’m done. We’re finished.”

“Leona, come back here! We’re not finished! What about Paris? This isn’t the end!”

“Is there a problem with your food, sir?”

“Just bring me the check, and hurry!”

February 25, 2023 01:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Julie Eremeeva
14:43 Mar 02, 2023

I really like the tension you were able to create at the very beginning without describing the emotions: “I just got here, Frank. Let me at least take off my coat and unwind, for heaven’s sake! ” "Why all of a sudden do you need to see a menu?" "Some things do change, you know." "It’s my job to make you comfortable in every way.” The tone of the conversation came out natural. And I agree - it was pretty easy to tell who was speaking.

Reply

19:16 Mar 02, 2023

I appreciate your comments! It was my first attempt at dialogue only!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathy Trevelyan
08:55 Mar 01, 2023

That worked really well Gabrielle. It was always clear who was speaking, and the build up to her saying she was leaving him was really good.

Reply

21:35 Mar 01, 2023

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.