Lady Elvira

Submitted into Contest #8 in response to: Write a story about an adventure in a small town.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure

Lady Elvira walked along the path on the Manor's western wing. April with the pinkish, white cherry blossoms was her favourite time of year.

Mama, Marquess Anne, had already departed the Manor for her weekly visit to the Dowager. Papa, Marquis Edward, had his usual Wednesday meeting at the bank.

Reaching the Manor's exit gate, Elvira turned left towards the local village of Cliffdale, that was situated close to the seashore. She felt a frisson of excitement.

Just a mere fifty souls inhabited Cliffdale. The blacksmith, Mr York, already had a  furnace burning brightly with red hot sparks. A white and brown Clysdale, whinnied and pawed the ground, as he waited.

 Lady Elvira stopped to take a peek. She had never been so close to a furnace in her twenty-one years. She adjusted her blue cotton bonnet so as not to be recognised by the villagers. Mama would not be pleased that she chose to walk, without a chaperon, in the local village. It was indiscreet and decidedly unladylike.   

The heat from the furnace was great and Lady Elvira stepped back. Just as she did so, a young man in a bowler hat, carrying a  riding crop, entered through the blacksmith's open door.

Tipping his hat, he addressed Lady Elvira, 'Good morning, Miss, what a pleasant surprise that our paths should cross on this beautiful Spring morning. I am Earl Grayson from Bently Manor.

May I have the pleasure of making your acquaintance?'

Lady Elvira blushed while attempting to compose herself, ' Earl Grayson, I am Lady Elvira from Avon Manor.'

'Lady Elvira, I am presently awaiting the arrival of my equerry, Johnson, to check on the health of our  Clysdale, here with Mr York. Johnson is getting on in years. It will take him some time to arrive. Meanwhile, I am attempting to pass the time.'

'It's a beautiful horse, sir,' Lady Elvira replied. 'Riding is my great joy in life. I take my favourite horse,' Pumpkin,' for a canter every morning across the estate. It is my moment of freedom.'

The slight upward movement of Grayson's left eyebrow indicated his level of surprise at the young lady's expression of a desire for freedom.

An awkward silence was broken by the arrival of the blacksmith.

 'Earl Grayson, the Clysdale needs 'nother few inches pared off her left hock, afore she will be ready to trot. Can say as will take a few hours, Sir.'

'Mr York, that suits my purpose perfectly,' Earl Grayson responded.

Turning to Lady Elvira, he enquired, 'Lady Elvira, may I have the pleasure of your company to stroll through the village while the Clysdale is having her pedicure?'

Lady Elvira flashed her long, dark eyelashes in a coquettish manner, before replying.  

Having adjusted her bonnet, a tad, to enable Grayson to have a more advantageous view of her face, she finally replied, ' Why Earl, I am happy to accept your invitation to stroll through the village. Although I live within the village environs, I am not all acquainted with its many charms.'

'Would you care to link your arm in mine,  Lady Elvira, thereby facilitating our stroll?'

 Lady Elvira did not delay in slipping her left hand through Earl Grayson's crooked arm and the pair set off.

The whitewashed cottages looked bright in the morning sunshine, some with their front doors resplendent in hues of yellow or green. A few seagulls hovered overhead, looking for tasty fish bits from the small fishing boats, that bobbed at the water's edge.

The butcher's boy, with his striped blue apron, cycled uphill, his large panier filled with sausages and black pudding. Black pigs roamed freely in the dunes close to the shore.

A tiny tot, in his red cap, trotted happily beside his mother in her black polka dot dress.

Soon the two young people were strolling in step.

'What pleasant company you are Lady Elvira,' Earl Grayson remarked.' Since you  are a devotee of horse riding, perhaps we can ride out together sometime?'

Lady Elvira giggled to herself. She never imagined a morning stroll, in her tiny local village, could afford so much adventure.

'Why Yes, Lord Grayson, I shall be delighted.'

Watching the swans on the water, they smiled.

'Lady Elvira,' Lord Grayson said, pointing towards an old stone bench by the water's edge,' this old bench is reputed to date back to Roman times, with its sturdy stonework.'

Releasing her arm from that of Lord Grayson, Lady Elvira hastened to sit down. 'Roman times, Earl Grayson. Let's see how sturdy it is and if it has withstood the test of time.'

The pair sat side by side.

Suddenly Lord Grayson turned to Lady Elvira. Taking her gloved hand in his, he asked, 'Dearest Lady Elvira, how sweet it is to be in your company, even for such a short time. I do hope you find some joy in my presence?'

Lady Elvira reddened a little, at such a declaration from a young man.

'Earl Grayson,' she said, ' I am happy to be here in your company. Circumstances have brought us together. We are not as yet formally acquainted.'

It was more than Earl Grayson could have hoped for.

Earl Grayson stood up from the stone seat and he assisted Lady Elvira as she adjusted the strings of her bonnet.

Raising her gloved hand closer to him, he kissed it gently, as he lifted his head and looked into her green eyes. Her young heart fluttered. She found herself looking lovingly into his dark nut-brown eyes. Even his rather elongated nose appeared handsome to her at that moment.

'May I place a  kiss on your left cheek, Lady Elvira?' he enquired.

Lady Elvira was beside herself and replied softly, ' You may place a token of affection on my left cheek, Earl Grayson.'

With that Earl Grayson's lips brushed gently against Lady Elvira's porcelain skin. His lips lingered.

'Darling Lady Elvira, you are a beautiful young woman. May I be so bold as to ask permission to pay you court, write love letters to you when I am abroad on my father's business?'

Lady Elvira, overcome with emotion, swooned just a little, falling back on to the stone seat. Earl Grayson took her gently in his arms and held her close to his manly breast.

Lady Elvira wanted to remain forever in Earl Grayson's embrace.

However it was well past noon and Papa would, by now, have settled his affairs at the bank. He would require her to play a sonata, in the drawing- room after lunch, as usual.

'Earl Grayson,' i must make haste and play a sonata for papa after lunch. I give permission for courtship rituals to commence.'

Holding her close Earl Grayson placed another gentle kiss on her cheek. This time she allowed her lips to touch his left cheek, before biding him farewell.

Earl Grayson's heart skipped a beat as he watched her slim, girlish figure disappear from view.

He muttered to himself,' sweet kisses and embraces in Cliffdale on an April morning,  Life's sweet nectar.

Before setting off for Mr York's forge, he danced a little minuet atop the seashells.

                     --------------------------------------------------------------

 

September 26, 2019 20:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.