0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Science Fiction

She opened her eyes and saw only darkness. She was comfortable and warm within a strange bed but she could not allow herself to become complacent. She was in the unknown and must not betray her waking to potential prying eyes watching from the shadows.

Cool air filled her lungs as she steadied her breathing and concentrated on remaining still until her eyes adjusted. Gradually her sight returned and the darkness retracted. She was in a room, but the room was unlike any she had ever known.

Both the walls and ceiling appeared to be of a solid substance and as white as snow. Along the ceiling was light and it was a far different light than that from the sun, it was unexplainable. She scanned the room straining to identify what she could without moving and saw many objects fastened to the wall, all of which were foreign to her. Along one of the walls was a table but it was not made of wood, instead its appeared to be constructed from something in color similar to the silverfish she used to catch with her father.

Beside her was a pole standing straight up with similar construct to that of the table. A queer, clear bag hung from this pole and it was halfway filled with water. Cascading down from this bag was a single rope, but it too was transparent.

She risked moving her head but could see nothing else of note, at least she was alone, at least she was not yet discovered by whomever had placed her here. The only thing which was certain was her need to escape, she must find a way out of here and back to her family. After all, tonight was the naming ceremony. On this night she was to be named High Priestess.

Carefully she tried to push herself up into a sitting position but her muscles were not cooperative. She tried to move her legs but it was as if they were not even there regardless of her being able to see them beneath her covers. She ran her teeth across her lower lip and began to flex the muscles within her arms and hands. Over time her hands began to move, she slowly opened and closed her hands until she was able to squeeze each one into a fist. A tingling sensation began to run throughout her arms but she ignored the feeling and continued working her muscles until the sensation faded and she finally regained control of both arms. Taking one final check to ensure she would not be interrupted she rose her right arm and her eyes widened in horror.

The clear rope from the hanging bag had been inserted into her hand. Disregarding all else she quickly moved with her left arm to remove the obstruction but something made a loud clinking noise and she could move her arm no further. Her breathing was becoming more erratic when she saw a bracelet secured around her left wrist. The bracelet had been fastened to the side of her bed with a material apparently as strong as bronze. A small cry escaped her lip as she fought to free her arm, thoughts of escape fled from her mind. Now she cared only for removing the rope from her hand.

“Ms. Carter. Please calm yourself.” Said a woman’s voice.

She paused in her struggle and looked vehemently around the room, her black hair whipping as she desperately searched for the voices origin but could see nothing. The disembodied voice was not speaking sumerian so how was it she understood the words?

“Who are you? Are you the Deity Ninḫursaĝ?” She could not believe the Mother Goddess of the Mountains would entrap her here in this strange place. Perhaps this was a test. One in which she must pass in order to gain High Priestess.

“No I am not a Deity. I am what you would call a doctor. Can you tell me your name?”

“I am called Bau.”

“Bau,” the voice sounded disappointed.

Bau hoped she did not somehow fail the test of her faith. She must remain pure in all forms in order to perform tonight's sacred ritual.

“Do you remember what had transpired the last time you woke. Nearly a year ago?” The woman’s voice resumed.

Bau’s eyes flickered and she licked her lips as she thought. This must be a test. Her mother had warned her the Deity Ninḫursaĝ sometimes injected herself into the naming ritual to ensure only the worthy would rise to High Priestess. A single tear escaped leaving a wet trail down her cheek. The last memory she had before waking in this strange world was placing the Rasuraq Idol upon the alter. She would fail her Goddess’ test. She would become an outcast.

“You became violent. You broke Dr. McKinney’s arm.”

Bau’s jaw slacked. She would never participate in unprovoked violence. To do so would result in banishment if she were so fortunate.

“But I...I would never...” She felt a fool.

“It is quite alright,” the voice continued. “We are here to help you. We only wish to restore your memories. A series of pictures will now flash across the screen in front of you. Tell us if you remember anything at all.”

Bau had no idea what the voice was telling her. What was a screen? Just then the black box fixated on the wall in front of her turned white. Her legs worked strenuously to push herself further up the bed and away from the accursed box. But she could not escape.

The whiteness of the box suddenly vanished and in its stead was an image of a woman and a small girl. Both wore particular garbs and were smiling, a vast lake stretched out behind the pair. Bau could not even fathom how the image appeared let alone determine what the image was supposed to mean to her.

The image was replaced by one containing the same woman but this time she was dressed all in white, a man had his arm around her and both of them were running as several other people tossed what looked to be rice over them. More tears of frustration flooded from Bau’s eyes. She did not want to disappoint Ninḫursaĝ but these images were nonsensical. She could only prey her Goddess would show her mercy.

The next image had yet the same woman but she had been laid out in a bed much like the one Bau now found herself in. The woman’s hair was matted to her scalp and her skin looked flush. In her arms was a small baby wrapped in a pink blanket. Bau’s breath caught in her throat, she felt blood rush to her cheeks. This test was proving impossible to pass.

“I don’t know what you want of me,” she screamed into the empty room. “None of this makes sense. How is any of this supposed to prove my devotion to you? What meaning does this hold to my representing you to my people?”

“Please Katrina...Bau. Calm yourself. I assure you we are not who you think we are. We are only trying to help you. We wish only to save you.”

Bau pushed herself onto her elbows. “Help me? Save me? Then release me. Am I to remain imprisoned here while the high moon passes over Itricara forever barring me from my rightful position among the honored?”

The voice was silent. Sweat ran cold down her face as she waited for a reply. Several minutes passed with only her fear riddled thoughts as company. Bau focused and steadied herself. Whatever this was she knew with certainty her faith was being tested. She also knew she was failing.

Thoughts of her mother looking down on her with disdain and the embarrassment of her only daughter offending the Deity Ninḫursaĝ as she walked the gauntlet to banishment flooded into her. Her arms weakened and she fell back into the bed overcome with the grief of her certain failure.

“I only wanted to serve you,” Bau’s voice was as faint as a snowflake falling from the heavens. “I instead dishonored you. My life, my very soul has proven unworthy.”

She slowly closed her eyes and welcomed the darkness, and the darkness responded to her calling.

___________________________________________

“Son of a bitch,” Doctor Megan Carter yelled as she ripped off her headset and threw it into the console.

“Dr. Carter,” Mark ran to her and placed his hand on her shoulder. “There are improvements. Katrina lasted much longer than she did last time.”

“Last time!” Megan abruptly stood shaking herself from his hand. “Last time was a year ago. Who can say when my sister will wake next. If she will wake at all.”

Mark shoved his hands into his pockets and stared wordlessly at the floor.

Megan ran both hands down her face and inhaled deeply. “I am sorry. I know this is not your fault and I should not take my anger out on you. It is just...”

“I know,” Mark sheepishly replied, “do you think we could conduct further study on the Rasuraq Idol? I am certain the key to returning Katrina to herself lies within the idol.”

“I have ran every test imaginable on that cursed object,” Megan lowered herself back into the chair. “It has beaten me. I cannot understand how something out of ancient Mesopotamia could turn my sister into whatever it is she has become.”

Mark stood tight-lipped. Megan could see he was desperately searching for words which may help comfort her, but she knew there was nothing he nor anyone else could say to alleviate her pain.

“Just leave me for now,” Megan said turning the chair from him, “I just wish to be alone.”

Out of everyone on the staff Mark knew her the best and was observant enough to recognize what she needed at any given moment so without a word he turned and left. Megan managed to hold herself together just long enough for the door to close as Mark exited the observatory. Then she cupped both hands over her face and cried for her lost baby sister. 

March 26, 2021 15:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.