4 comments

Fantasy Fiction Mystery

This story contains themes or mentions of suicide or self harm.

Marthet stood there over a man who had just taken his own life. He knelt beside the diseased body and shook his head after pulling back the hood on his cloak. A black bird landed near him and titled its head in different directions before flying away. Marthet stood up straight and waved his scythe over the body, allowing a blue orb to appear from the dead man.

“Who, who are you?” the blue orb spoke in fear.

Marthet rolled his eyes and leaned against his scythe, waving a hand. “I am a pale death. Why did you take your own life?”

The blue formed into a glowing, transparent man. “I just didn’t want to live anymore. There is nothing on this planet worth living for.”

Marthet put his hand on the man’s shoulder and just shook his head in pity. “You have something to live for, Jack. If you would have looked past your sorrow and self pity, you would’ve known that your ex-lover has had a child; your child.”

Jack’s eyes grew wide, and he looked down at his body. “Send me back! I have to see my child!”

“I cannot do that,” Marthet said, gripping his scythe with two hands. “I’m here to collect your soul and bring you to the realm of the Reaper. This is the way it is.”

The man teared up, kneeling beside his lifeless body. He buried his face in his hands and sobbed. “If I would’ve known I had a child… that is something worth living for. Now I’ll never know my child. Please, death… pass me by this one time. I beg you!”

Marthet was about to swing his scythe, but froze at this man’s words. No one has ever asked him to spare their life and bring them back. Did he have the power to do this? He was a reaper, a harvester of the dead. He couldn’t simply give someone their life back. Could he? The answer; yes. Marthet thought hard on this topic.

“If I was to grant you this wish,” Marthet said after deep thought. “You will be under oath to serve me when I call on you to pay back this debt. Do you understand what you’re asking?”

Jack nodded. “Yes, I understand… please. Spare me this one time.”

Marthet sighed and reached into his pocket, pulling out a small leather pouch. He poured something over Jack’s lifeless body and just waited. It wasn’t long after and Jack gasped for air and shot up. He looked around the empty room in hopes of thanking Marthet, but he was nowhere in sight.

“I don’t know if you’re still here, sir,” Jack whispered, tears rolling down his face as he grabbed his phone from his pocket. “Thank you for sparing me!”

Marthet shook his head. Humans were strange creatures, indeed. Although, he was quite curious if this man would truly answer to the bondage that he now had placed on him when he brought him back to life. Marthet knew humans were lying hypocrites. Trusting them was a poor mistake, especially for a being life himself.

Jack stood up, wiping tears away from his face as he tried dialing his ex’s phone number. A smile crossed his face when she finally answered. “Ivy, I just wanted to reach out to see how you’ve been. I’ve missed you.”

Liar. Marthet thought. He leaned against the counter in the man’s apartment and listened intently to all the lies that came out of his mouth. If humans could be more truthful, would the world be less painful and broken?

“We’ve had a baby?” Jack asked her, acting surprised. “I’m so happy! When can I see her? Perfect! Give me the address and I’ll be on my way.”

Jack hung up and gave the air a high-five. Marthet followed as he rushed out of the building after changing his shirt. He followed him through the building, out into the street and into the back seat of his car. He just sat quietly, watching. Watching as Jack slowly slumped low into his lies.

Marthet tried so hard to understand the ways of humans. He learned that lying seemed like a survival skill, a deception and bar formed to avoid certain truths. Marthet learned that even people who claim to love other lie about not lying. Humans have even lied about loving another human.

Jack didn’t care about his ex, Ivy. He did not love her, nor did he have any good intent to love her. Even the smile on his face when he saw her as she opened the door was fake.

“I’m so happy you’re here, Jack!” Ivy said, joy in her voice. She seemed genuine. Marthet thought as she gave Jack a hug.

She ushered him in, eager for him to meet their child. Marthet was familiar with seeing small children. Their innocent minds allowed them to see him. He couldn’t count how many small children he’s met in his life of duty, but only to lead them to where they belonged, at the pearly gates.

“She’s so precious,” Jack said, trying to put on a show. “I love you, Ivy!”

Liar. Marthet thought. He shook his head in annoyance as he continued to watch this lying man spew out more untruthful words.

“Ivy, there’s something I need to tell you,” Jack said, breaking the silence that had fallen. “I tried killing myself today. It was death that told me we had a child and he brought me back so I could meet her. I know it sounds crazy, but it’s true.”

Ivy gave him a strange look and picked up her small child, holding her close. “Why would you try killing yourself, Jack?”

“I had nothing to live for. We broke up, and I was alone,” Jack said, stepping forward. “I want to be a part of her life, Ivy. I want to be her father and your husband.”

Marthet looked from Ivy to Jack in shock. He didn’t expect him to tell her this. The look on her face was clear. She didn’t want Jack anywhere near the child.

“Jack… I don’t think I feel comfortable with you being around her,” Ivy said honestly. “You need help.”

“And I’ll get it,” Jack said. “If that means I can be a part of you and our child’s life… Please, Ivy. I’m willing to change.”

Marthet tilted his head to one side. That was the most honest thing he’s said so far. Perhaps him seeing Marthet and a glimpse of what awaited Jack was enough for him to want to change? Did he misunderstand humans? Was being close to death really enough to change a man’s heart and views of things?

September 10, 2022 21:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

J.M. De Jong
16:42 Sep 17, 2022

Hi Sabel! I appreciated the point you brought out in this about lies, and how dearly people rely on them... Using them as a "survival skill" is a very appropriate distinction. It's such a sad but truthful statement. Well done!

Reply

Sabal Cloonan
19:22 Sep 17, 2022

Wow, thank you so much for the compliment! It means a lot. I grew up in a home where my step father always lied. To this day he still does. Promises were broken and it was as if the truth never really matter.

Reply

J.M. De Jong
20:07 Sep 17, 2022

You're welcome! I'm so sorry you've had to experience that, but also am relieved that through that, you now see how destructive the sin of lying is and how it destroys families. Truth should never be squandered for such debasement...

Reply

Sabal Cloonan
16:01 Sep 19, 2022

Very very true!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.