The Shy Librarian

Submitted into Contest #123 in response to: Begin or end your story with “Well, that was dramatic.”... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Romance Suspense

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

The shy librarian works nine till five, five days a week. Her long brown hair is tied up in a bun, her glasses on the end of her nose as she concentrates on logging the new books onto the system. She feels invisible; her wild side needs to break free. A man walks up to the front desk; she blushes. Tall, dark, and handsome; she thinks as she looks him up and down. He hands her a business card, smiles, and walks away. She glances down at it, it reads; Neale's dream girls burlesque. Her interest rising, she feels her wild side taking over; she's going to call him. She pulls the hairpins out of her hair, it flows freely in the wind, her glasses come off and she's a completely different woman. She grabs her phone and starts to dial, "Hello? This is Debbie Mitchell, I want to join your team" Her excitement gets stronger, she's more determined than ever to break free of her dull librarian life. She goes home and gets straight into bed; dreaming of what could be. 

The next morning she once again gets up to go do her usual, boring librarian duties, but she knows it won't be for long, not long until she can break free; finally. She's typing on her old-fashioned computer, a man walks up to her and makes small talk, and before she knows it, she's laughing at his jokes and realizes; she's into him. He tells her how beautiful she is, with her tied-up hair and red, oval-shaped glasses. Her cheeks redden as he asks for her number; she gives it to him and watches him leave, feeling like a love-struck teenager.

5 o'clock and it's time to leave work for the day, it's Friday afternoon and she knows what that means, time to be a dream girl. She heads over to Neale's studio and sits in the make-up chair, she feels glamorous as she signs the contract. It's nearly time to go out on stage and show everyone what she's made of but nerves get the better of her and she runs outside for some air, she awkwardly bumps into a man walking along the street; it's Jeremy- the guy from the library! They get talking and he asks; "What are you wearing? Are you going to a fancy dress party?" Feeling a little insulted, she stands there a moment, thinking of what to say to this stranger. In the end, Debbie decided to just tell him, she even invites him in to watch her perform, he politely turns her down and says he's not into that type of thing. Debbie is conflicted, should she stay and go out with Jeremy? Or go back inside and live out her dream?  Debbie stood there not knowing which way to turn, she never had much luck with men, but finally, she'd met a decent man who seemed normal, unlike the men she'd previously dated, the mummy's boy type with superhero bed sheets. She then thinks about her dream and how long she's waited for this opportunity and how she might never get the chance again. Her head was all over the place. She thought long and hard and tried convincing Jeremy to go inside and watch her just this once, to give it a try but he refused and she’s left feeling heartbroken, and torn between the two of them. Jeremy gives Debbie a choice to make, either she doesn't become a dream girl and meets him later that night for a date, or she becomes a dream girl and they never see each other again. He kisses her on the cheek and says "I hope to see you soon" 

Time’s getting on; she only has a few more minutes to make her choice. Debbie can’t decide for herself and so she flips a coin, “let fate decide” Heads she will become a dream girl, tails she’ll go on the date and leave her wild side behind forever. She flips it and....... Heads. She’s happy but sad, as she texts Jeremy "I'm sorry" She puts a smile on her face and goes back inside. She’s stood behind the curtains, ready for her long-awaited performance. She’s in full costume, with tonight’s theme; cowgirls. The lights go down and the curtains open, she walks onto the stage, and looks out into the crowd, to her surprise, there’s Jeremy, sitting in the front row, cheering her on; he's changed his mind.

Just as the music begins to play, Debbie feels something tight around her wrists, which then spread to her legs and the rest of her body. “What’s going on?” she panics. She looks around to see the other girls experiencing the same thing; they have the same panic on their faces too. In unison, all of them stood up straight and placed their hands on their hips. Debbie is confused and scared but locks her eyes on Jeremy who can see the fear in her. He stands up, along with some of the other girl’s partners, they shout but are ignored. Jeremy makes a run for the stage, but just as he approaches Debbie, her arm lifts and BANG! A gunshot is fired, and Debbie is the one holding the gun. Jeremy keeps his eyes on Debbie’s as he slumps to the floor. Within seconds; blood surrounds him, he lets out a final groan. Tears flood Debbie’s face as a second guy braves the stage, but the same happens to him. “It must be Neale, he’s doing this somehow!” She screams in her head. Debbie soon realises what’s happening; she was right, Neale is the one behind it all, controlling the girls like puppets! 

Minutes go by and Debbie is still staring at her beloved Jeremy, lying on the cold floor. Out of nowhere another BANG! Debbie looks down; it isn’t her this time, it’s Chloe! Another BANG! And another, and another BANG! BANG! BANG! Until all members of the audience fall out of their seats and onto the floor, surrounded in blood and crying out for help. The girls put their guns in their holsters, “Is it over now?” Debbie asks herself, desperately hoping it is. Neale approaches from behind the curtain and stares out into the crowd, he smiles and licks his lips. He walks down the stairs and turns to Debbie; he smirks at her and walks over to Jeremy’s life-less body, Debbie just wants to scream as more tears flow down her cheeks. What Neale does next, shocks everyone, even more than what had just happened. Neale bends down next to Jessica’s girlfriend; he swipes his finger along the floor, and puts it in his mouth, he licks it clean and then....... Bites down on her neck. He continues to do the same with all of the innocent people he’s killed. All but two left to go now. Neale bends down once again, but he does something different with this one. He bites a chunk out of his wrist and feeds his blood to Holly’s boyfriend Jacob. At first, nothing happens, but then, Jacob regains consciousness. “Rise, my boy” Neale eerily demands. Jacob looks confused and Debbie and the girls are waiting, scared of what is to come next. Jacob stands tall and Neale points over to Hannah’s boyfriend Clark, “Eat, my boy” Jacob wastes no time in chowing down on poor Clark, ripping him apart like an animal.

Both Neale and Jacob are full up on the blood of the innocent and are now looking at all eight girls on the stage. Neale lifts his control of their voices, allowing them all to finally let out their pain. The room becomes loud with screams and cries until Neale puts a stop to it once again. He places his finger on his lip and shushes the girls; it’s his turn to speak now. He straightens his posture and with an arrogant look on his face; he says “Well that was dramatic” 

December 08, 2021 12:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.