0 comments

Horror Fantasy

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Constantine sauntered down the middle of the cobblestone streets, his hands in his pants pockets and his eyes casting off an eerie green glow to combat the gentle yellow of the street lamps. While using a portal would be quicker, he enjoyed the walks home far more than the efficiency of a spell. Spells meant there were never any surprises; he could think about going home and he would be there. On the other hand, if he walked, there was a slim chance that there would be some excitement. Unfortunately, this wasn’t the case on most nights. 

This night, however, seemed to be different. The wind whistled through nearby trees and the clouds covered a sliver of the grey moon, rendering the sky into a black void. Constantines steps echoed hollowly off the cobble, occasionally pausing to crunch through a few leaves before echoing once again. It wasn’t much longer before the second pair of footsteps began sounding from behind him. Whoever it was moved cautiously, but not without purpose. The sorcerer turned on his heel, giving the figure behind him a grin, taking note of the hand at their waist; where a sheath was clearly located. 

“Well, hello, sweetheart! I hope you aren’t fixing to rob me.” The words themselves were warning, but the way they were said made it clear he was itching for a fight. “I’m ‘fraid that wouldn’t be taken too kindly. You can sure try though, lil’ lady.”

The small figure seemed taken aback for a moment before straightening their posture and drawing their sword. Another pair of footsteps tiptoed up from behind Constantine. As easily as it would be to dispose of these nuisances; he intended to let them have their fun. Whatever would make them feel bigger before he eventually destroyed all that they were with little hesitation. 

“Oh, I’m not robbing you, Mr.Fitzgerald. He’s robbing you. I’m killing you.” The woman responded, brandishing her blade. “Konnor. You don’t remember me, do you? That’s alright, you will.”

The dwarfs' companion grabbed Constantine, but while tight, he was clearly not a trained fighter. Constantine would even go so far as to bet money that he was some sort of urchin that only had experience with fending off attackers; rather than being one. He stood still, his expression shifting from a smile to something calculating. This Konnor woman was no caster, and her friend was clearly only there to keep him restrained.

"Let's go for a walk, shall we?" The dwarven woman says, signalling her friend to lead Constantine down the street.

They walked down those cobblestone streets for quite a few minutes before they went into some old house. The porch creaked beneath them and the windows had been broken open. The door refused to stay closed behind them and the lights would not come to life, leaving Konnor to light a candle and stand in front of Constantine with a sneer.

"Listen, doll, I've got a cat back home that dearly needs my company, if we could make this killing me business quick."

"Oh, not a chance, Mr.Fitzgerald. I'm planning to make it real slow. Just like you did for my mother." She growls, "I'd call the sitter, if I were you."

The sorcerer laughed in her face, voice dripping with poisoned honey, "God, isn't that just the cutest thing. Your momma's not comin' back, whether or not I'm dead. So why don't you do yourself a favor and let me walk? Hmm?"

Not only were these two inexperienced, but they were overzealous as well. He thought about letting them go on their way without harm, but then the woman stabbed him in the left shoulder. 

Constantine only gave the woman a shiteating grin. “That all you got, sweetheart? I’m afraid that arm is already out of commission. Good effort, though, I’m sure your mother would be proud of you! Oh..that’s right.” 

The laughter that followed was cut short by a blade in his stomach, the woman drove it in and twisted it upward to where he hacked out a bit of blood. It took a few moments, but he could feel the electricity building in his metal fingertips. The current ran through his arm and lit up artificial veins with the same green that lit up his face. He bit back a sneer and grabbed onto the face of the man holding him back. The electricity was slow at first, crackling over the metal helm before the stench of burning flesh pierced the air and the man's head combusted in a show of bright green light caused by the bolts coursing through Constantine's arm and through his captors helm. The man’s headless and smoking body fell to the hardwood floors and Constantine grinned through the darkness, slightly tilting his head to get his neck to crack. 

Rather than back down like any smart person would, Konnor opted to pull her greatsword from its sheath and slightly backed up, readjusting her stance before charging at the man, who only stepped out of her way with ease.

“Easy now, darlin, be sure that big ol’ sword of yours doesn't topple you clean over.” He chuckles, ejecting the serrated blade built into his metal wrist. It was strange in shape, twisting and jagged; but the dried blood on it made it clear it had taken many lives before. Constantine raised his right hand and motioned for the dwarf to continue her attack, almost in a mocking manner. 

They went on for a few minutes like this, the woman charging for a kill shot and Constantine stepping out of her way and making a cocky remark about her stance. She managed to get a good gash on his side, but it wasn’t enough to slow him once he began fighting back. His right hand clutched his slashed side and the other stayed in position, slitting the woman's throat as he darted past her. Her limp body fell to the ground and twitched for a few moments before finally laying still. Constantine licked the blood from his dagger with a hum, spitting blood into the dirt and dragging himself home, content with the day's findings and occurrences. Finally, something interesting.

January 17, 2023 19:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.