1 comment

Fantasy Science Fiction Romance

They say if you walk through the tunnel, you will find your one true love. Gennar walked through the entrance, past the two tall wisterias that leant over the entrance, purple flowers gleaming like iolites. He made his way into the tunnel, wondering if he would find her this year. He had told Cwuife that he would give it one more try. 

He walked through the wisteria tunnel, without much hope.

Gennar gasped. A tall fae with deep amethyst wings and only one eye stood in the grove, walking towards him. He felt his soul sing. He had found her.

She was beautiful. It didn’t matter that she only had one eye. The other one twinkled as he approached, as purple as the trees around her. It was the same colour as those gigantic wings that erupted from her back. A series of wicked scars carved their way down the left side of her face, past the eye socket and down to her chin. But it didn’t matter. It made her seem braver, bolder, someone who had lived and lost. The all-seeing eye was pinned to her breast, on the jacket she wore. He smiled. It suited her. A long sword sat in a sheath at her side. A warrior then. Good. She would have to be, if she was his.

He walked closer, a little anxious. He had never done this before. He took a few deep breaths, steadying his nerves. What if she didn’t like him after all? This soulmate lark didn’t always work out. His mother and father were proof of that. Relax, Gennar, he thought. It’s just a date. But who would date a god of war and death?

          Brienna stumbled, surprised. There he was, walking through the tunnel towards her. He was a tall man, with slate blue eyes like the sea in winter back home. Short auburn hair cropped his head, like the leaves in autumn. He was very handsome. A longsword sat in a sheath by his side, as black as the tunic he wore where strong muscles rippled under the fabric. A warrior. Good. She preferred warriors. Perhaps this could work out after all. But who would date a fae like her? She knew what she looked like. She saw it every day. She hoped he wouldn’t take one look at her and run, at the sight of the scars. Perhaps he would be different. Perhaps he would see her instead, and forget about the scars. She could only hope. She edged forward a little, the qizkin boots sinking into the mud, a little nervous.

“Hello” he said, a soft tenor voice bubbling from his lips.

“Hello” she replied, a little hesitant.

 “I was hoping to find you here. “he continued, feeling a little braver.

“Sorry I’m late. “She said.

“Its no problem.” Gennar said. He meant it. She was worth waiting for. “I think I was a little early.” He added. She smiled, the grin blossoming across her face. The skin stretched, the scars rippling as she did. In that moment, she felt it. Her soul sung, from deep inside her. She had found him, her soulmate.

“I’m Gennar.” He said, extending a hand. She took it, feeling the rough calluses and scars of his hand under her skin.

“Brienna.” She answered. He took her hand, kissing it softly. As he did, she felt their souls connect. A flash of magic whispered between their fingers, one strand a bright violet, the other a deep vermillion.

“It is a pleasure to meet you, my Lady.” Brienna blushed a little. She had never been called that before. She wasn’t a lady. Not really. But he seemed to think she was. Her heart swelled in hope at his sweet words. As he did, her stomach rumbled, loud and insistent. He laughed, a deep guffaw that sounded like clock chimes.

“Sorry. I’m starving.” She admitted.

“I know just the place.” He said with a smile. “Shall we?” she nodded, He took her arm, leading her out of the tunnel. Grass as blue as the sea greeted her, fresh and soft underneath as the forest opened up in front of her. It was beautiful. Tall aquamarine trees towered above, their branches stretching up to the clouds. An emerald river trickled nearby, its voice chattering as it wound its way through the sapphire straskias and azure astroas. It snaked ahead, hurrying to the deep scarlet mountains in the distance, where she could see the palace of Lorista standing tall and proud, home of the gods. Bright yellow mushrooms studded the forest floor, as bright as the sun, amongst the cerulean grass. Intricate wild flowers clustered here and there, gleaming like the stars.

Brienna walked beside him, admiring the colourful flowers in the silence. They glimmered like jewels, fresh and fragrant. She even saw some thistka berries on the bushes over there, plump and ripe in the sun. She shouldn’t. There was plenty in her cabin on the ThunderStar. She chewed her lip as they strolled through the tall yirkia trees and the deep yellow mushrooms, wondering if she should say something.

The path they were following soon widened, grass melting into stone, leading the way uphill. Little houses and cottages greeted them with a smile, thatched roofs waving a welcome. The cobbled streets clicked and clacked under their boots. Gennar followed the trail. He wondered where to take her as the citadel approached. He hadn’t decided. She didn’t seem like the restaurant type. He had planned a lavish dinner, in his head. Perhaps a feast in the tavern was better. He thought for a moment, wondering which one. Loirsta had many taverns, each better than the last. An idea struck him. The Valkyrie was the best, of course. His brother in law, Kvasir, owned the place, and Gennar always swore the man poured his magic in the mead. He knew she would like it

The path wound its way uphill, stone steps carved into the mountain. Their boots thudded over the stone as they made their way into the citadel, through the tall gates of pure gold and ignoring the gargoyle statues that stared. They continued, ambling past little shops full of colourful tunics and sweet-smelling fruit. The trees continued, planted every here and there, their sweet fragrances trying to drown out the scent of the burnt rina hotdog stands and the acrid odour of jiskinia next to it. People bustled this way and that, heading to taverns that were filled with noise and laughter. They rounded a corner, past a singing curtain of the future, where crystal balls glimmered within. He grimaced at the scent of leather that cut through the street, the tanners work of jackets and satchels hanging from racks as they jingled like birds against one another. The tall cauldrons of fire bubbled on every corner, lighting the streets with iridescent colour. Small lights hung from the shops and buildings, trailing up to the citadel as the hill climbed up further, past the fresh scent of bread and cheese, through a flurry of colourful tunics and scarves that led the way. He smiled as she stopped and admired a series of Celtic jewellery, necklace with Yggdrasill catching her eye on the stall. Coins jingled in her pocket as she bought one. He didn’t mind. They were in no hurry. Gently, he took the cord and placed it around her neck. The little tree gleamed, the dark thread bright against her tunic.

The Valkyrie stood waiting for them, next to the tall clock tower that chimed the hour. She winced a little, her sharp ears twitching. One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven. They left its smiling face behind, skirting around the tall standing stones where clusters of Elders practiced magic under the moonlight. Across the street, the green tavern greeted them with a grin, the runes flickering across the wood and glass. Gennar swung the door of the tavern open, holding it ajar for her. Brienna smiled. The sound of laughter and clinking tankards greeted her ears. He had good taste, at least.

“Swords please,” the guards at the door said gruffly. Gennar took his off, handing it to the man.

“It was a gift from a friend. It has taken care of me. I hope you will take care of it.” She said, a threatening edge sounding in her words as she handed hers over to the short dwarf. He nodded. Gennar swallowed a little. Somehow, he felt like he wouldn’t want to get on her bad side.

 Brienna followed Gennar through the tavern, winding her way through wooden tables and comfortable chairs. A long bar lined the other side of the room, in front of rows of bottles and pitchers and strange drinks from far away realms she had never heard of. People stared, marvelling at her wings and grimacing at her eye. She shrugged. They could think what they liked. It didn’t bother her so much anymore. Gennar coughed. A tall man with striking spiked green hair greeted them.

“What can I get you?” the man asked, with a wink to Gennar, the Loristan accent whispering in his words.  

“Pint of Gods Star please.” She answered. “And whatever Gennar will have. “she added, leaning across the bar with a wink and a smile. Gennar stared, surprised.

 “The same. “He uttered, with a chuckle. The barman hurried away.

“What? “She asked, frowning at his bemused look as she reached for a menu.  

“I do not know many women who drink the stuff. It’s my favourite.” He admitted, as they waited. “Most women prefer the Unjikra wines of the south” he added.

“I know.” She said, exasperated. “I know I’m meant to like the Unjikra wine. But I can’t stand the stuff. It’s always so sour. “

“Definitely. And always smells horrible” he added with a laugh. Their drinks arrived, tankards full to the brim of the nectar of the gods, the scent of ambrosia hissing on the air that was sweeter than petrichor. They grabbed their drinks and headed to a table by the window. From here, you could see the castle high above, its spires gleaming as the minarets tried to claim the stars. They clinked their glasses, toasting to “the stars and good fortune” as she said.  

          “Kochirak always says the Unjikra wine is brewed by the draugr on Drisginar.”

          “Well that would explain why its so awful”. He smiled. She nodded. Their food arrived, the Dexxonian setting them on the table. The man’s multiple arms waved as she ordered the food, like the tentacles of some far-flung octopus. They said nothing for a while, enjoying the drinks. Gennar couldn’t stop looking at the eye. He knew he shouldn’t. But his curiosity frothed like the foam on the top of his glass.

          “How did you lose the eye?” he blurted out. “If you don’t mind me asking” he added, already feeling his ears turn red in embarrassment.

          “I lost in a battle with a monster” she admitted. “In the Orishan War.” Gennar blinked in surprise. He hadn’t expected her to say that. She gazed at him, daring him to say something incredulous as the food arrived on plates as big as the sun. Gennar looked at her in admiration. He couldn’t believe it. She had fought in that war? It had been one of the bloodiest and longest. Those monsters had devoured souls and stars alike across the galaxy, searching for the Mother Tree. Not that they ever found it. Not that anyone knew where it was. It had been hidden long ago, in the deepest parts of space, kept safe by Hirsdvali, the watcher goddess.

          “I remember that war.” He said finally, remembering all the souls that he had to collect, with a deep sadness. “But I do not remember seeing such a radiant beauty as yourself on the battlefield,” he continued, reaching for the cutlery. She blushed again, as she dipped an orikon ring into the ghitka sauce,

          “Perhaps you weren’t looking” she said. Brienna swallowed. She hadn’t meant to be rude. But he had startled her. She knew she wasn’t beautiful.

          “Perhaps” he admitted.  Another silence rippled between them, as vast as a lake. Gennar swallowed, trying to enjoy his pie. Had he said something wrong?

          “I was there. On the starship fleet” she reassured him. Gennar remembered seeing the sleek hulls soar overhead, as he and his army of the dead fought on the land below, against ice and fire giants. He remembered their cannons firing into the translucent bodies of the nix and the krakens high above, without much hope. He remembered how they had battled on, all the same, until victory was theirs.

          “A starship?” he asked, curious. “So, you’re a pirate?” she nodded with a grin. “That must be so exciting.” He said, dreaming of pirates and adventuring across the stars. He did travel. But never for pleasure. He wished he could, just take to the stars and forget about being a god. But war and death always followed, throughout the galaxy.

          “It is.” She answered with a smile.

          “And the stars must be as beautiful as you” he continued, feeling more confident.

          “You keep saying sweet things, Gennar” she said, devouring more of her nikora burger.

          “I cannot help it. You have cast a spell over me, and words of liquid gold keep falling out of my mouth.” She laughed.

          “I don’t have that kind of magic” she admitted.

          “You must have, to enchant me so.” She shook her head, devouring the chips on her plate.

“Well, I think it is you who have caught me in a spell” she answered.

          “But I have not that magic either.” He answered, his cutlery clashing to the plate as he pushed the empty dish aside. That was more Cwuife’s department, as goddess of love and marriage.  

          “Then it shall remain a mystery” she concluded, with a smile, as she finished her meal.

          “Perhaps.” The Dexxonian flitted about them, collecting the plates.

          “I am glad that war is over.” He admitted. “I have yearned for peace for such a long time. But there is always some monster to fight somewhere. And there always will be.” Brienna watched him as she drank the pint of Gods Star. His expression had changed, joy being absorbed into sadness. She didn’t like to see him unhappy. She felt the sorrow whisper in her own heart. She couldn’t let it fester.

          “Perhaps now you could take a break. Live. Laugh. Enjoy life. Travel, even” she said, with a smile that seemed as bright as the sun on a winters morning.

          “I shall drink to that” he said, grinning again. Their glasses clinked as the tankards hit each other. They talked some more, as the tavern slowly became busier, the evening closing in on them like a cloak. Dessert came and went, forks sinking into icing as they talked of gods and fae, of war and death. Gennar rested his elbows on the table, listening eagerly as she told tales of her adventures across the stars. He could listen to her voice all evening. He wished he had lived a life like that.

          Brienna loved hearing him laugh. She could tell he didn’t do it often. It kept bubbling out of him, as she told of Teiryx and his mishaps that had always got the crew into trouble. The night drew in around them, but it didn’t matter. Just to make him smile one more time would be enough. They chatted as if there was no tomorrow, as he told of kings and gods, and a mischievous brother who always wreaked havoc, no matter how big or small.

          The chimes rang out again. The barman yelled it was “closing time”. Brienna jumped. She couldn’t believe it was so late. Time had seemed to vanish while she was with Gennar, the whole world fading away around them, as if they were in their own secret universe. They collected their swords and left the tavern behind. They made their way back to the tunnel, still chatting as they walked. Gennar didn’t want her to go. She was wonderful. His soul ached at the thought of seeing her leave.  She must have felt it toom as when the forest began to end, she became quiet.

          “I enjoyed that.” She said, as the forest ended. “We should do this again sometime” She leant forward, kissing him goodbye. He watched as she made the portal, her purple magic glimmering as it grew. On the other side, The ThunderStar appeared, its sleek hull shining in the twilight. The constellation shone behind it, bright and beautiful.

          Gennar hesitated. Should he? He had to risk it.

          “It’s my father’s birthday next weekend.” He admitted, as she was about to step through the portal. “He’s having a grand party.” She turned round to face him. ” Will you come?” he asked, hopefully.

          “Course I will” Brienna beamed.

          “I’ll meet you here at dusk on Astradie then” he said, happier than he had ever felt before. The portal snapped behind her, like the crunching of bones. Gennar smiled. He had found her, his soulmate. He would have to thank Cwuife when he got home, for sending him an angel.

          On The ThunderStar, Brienna couldn’t stop thinking about him. She didn’t think she would find anyone. It was as if her soul had been missing something, all this time. She couldn’t wait to see him again.

August 28, 2020 16:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Aisha Olanrewaju
19:43 Sep 05, 2020

"Kaboom!" That's how your story made my mind go. I met you on my email courtesy to Ms Jenn, the Blog Editor at Reedsy. I read your story and it was AMAZing. Getting down to the point, have you considered fantasy fictional writings? Scratch that, have you considered science fiction and nonfiction? SubhanAllah! Have you ever thought of poetry? You should cause 'words of liquid gold kept dripping out of your ink.' Literally meaning, in my own words, 'My, my! you blew my mind away with your use of multiple descriptive words ...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.