The Alien Syndrome

Submitted into Contest #210 in response to: Make a mysterious message an important part of your story.... view prompt

2 comments

Science Fiction Mystery

"The Alien Syndrome"

Urgent Communication: It is imperative that all missions return immediately to planet Earth. Sector B-4441 yields positive results. (High Command of Interstellar Search for Extraterrestrial Life)

“Excuse me, could you perhaps be a bit less direct when telling others the truth about extraterrestrial life? Look at how you left this one, he can't even blink anymore, poor thing. We even had to close his eyes ourselves; he looks half-dead... and that's just not fair”.

“I'll try” I was telling the head nurse at the military hospital, “I'll try not to be so harsh”. 

“No, no, no” The woman muttered while shaking her head.

Poor Minister of Technology, just a week ago we could see him laughing at the most elementary things in life, and now he couldn't even blink by himself. The doctors had honored him with being the most extreme case of what they now called the Alien Syndrome. The most common symptoms of this condition were nervous twitches all over the body, severe depression, difficulty moving limbs upon waking up, nerve contractions, diarrhea, but never had such an extreme shock been seen. Well, I had warned him that the truth wasn't easy.

“Why don't you give them a sedative before telling them?” The nurse said, interrupted by muffled groans coming from the minister's throat... he was even starting to drool! “Well, do you need anything else?” I'm quite busy, as you can see. 

“Well... this afternoon I'm going to talk to Polaris... I hope, I mean, if you could come with me…” 

“Heavens, I think I'll take her some neuroanesthetics. Two doses should be enough.”

The machine monitoring the minister's vital signs started beeping with an alert. Another nervous attack was overtaking the minister. It was time for his sedative dose, given every three hours since yesterday when he learned, through my own words, the truth. I chose to leave that hospital; in fact, I had to prepare for the global conference I would give in the afternoon. What a terrible future awaited humanity... well, I suppose it was better than the immediate present we had to face. At the moment, around 500 government officials and scientific personnel had already recovered from the so-called Alien Syndrome, but there were also around 1,500 more hospitalized. This was how humanity was awakening to the truth.

For eons, humanity had questioned the existence of life on other planets, but what had never been questioned was what would happen when the answers were found. Now that humans could access, thanks to technology, the deepest answers... we simply weren't prepared.

All missions of Interstellar Search for Extraterrestrial Life had returned to planet Earth, with thousands stationed on the moon, awaiting the optical conference I would give in a few moments. Many, many years had passed, and humans had persisted in doing only one thing, the only thing that gave meaning to their existence: finding life somewhere in the universe.

Today, we had the answer, all thanks to the incredible technologies we had developed; today, we could bend spacetime around us and travel to unimaginable places. The universe, while vast, wasn't infinite as our ancestors believed. Now, through machines, great technologists could scan any planet, sun, or moon in search of cells of any form and primal characteristic. Thanks to this, we had the answer now. For some, it had meant an existential torment that had led to suicide or the Alien Syndrome. For others, it was the certainty of the unique value of the human being. But, as I said, only around 500 people had recovered from the shock enough to discuss the future of humanity. Now, I had to address billions of people and take responsibility for the consequences:

“Yes, we have found intelligent life in sector B-4441 of the universe. It is an encounter we have awaited for millennia and that will bring about a radical transformation in human consciousness. Hundreds of millions of human beings have been part of this effort, culminating now in the joy of an unprecedented achievement. My pride in being a part of the human race is unquestionable; I love humanity for what it has achieved... but –tears were starting to fall– I must warn you that the race we have encountered is profoundly different from us. Therefore, I want to announce a convoy that will depart next week to sector B-4441 to establish more direct contact; all those with updated citizenship and who have completed their studies will be eligible to go…”

I continued to give instructions on how to act in the face of this new discovery. Likely, history will mark me as a cowardly and reactionary liar, but the current circumstances don't allow for more. I can feel my knees starting to weaken. Reality was drilling into my neurons, and I was so sure that life, life as we know it, has a purpose; a substance or attainable destiny; something I can grasp onto to not be left in the vast darkness. I don't want to be a child of nothingness; I don't want to face darkness after death. And all, all my hopes, my answers, I had based on the possibility of extraterrestrial life. Something I thought would explain Earth's existence, or at least, through scientific comparison, provide us with a more understandable definition of life. Because, for me, a living being isn't just something that is born, grows, reproduces, and dies... yes, what I was looking for was a form of eternal life that would say: there's nothing to fear.

Back in my office, in the Citizen Building, the nurse was already waiting for me. She brought a portable medical system, surely equipped with all the injections that promised to alleviate the Alien Syndrome a little. I could only sincerely thank her for her help, to which she responded dryly: "just don't blurt it out like that." And certainly, this time I would be careful with Polaris, our most eminent biologist of all times. Yes, I would tell her with care.

The guard at the entrance received me with the usual reverence; I asked if Polaris had arrived, "yes, yes, First Citizen," he said, while raising his arm to kill an ant that had crawled onto his chest. With his right thumb, he pressed the tiny insect and then crumpled it into a ball before throwing it with vehement superiority. I exchanged a look with the nurse, to which she could only sigh. If the guard knew how valuable every living being was in these times, if he knew that this little creature, as annoying and insignificant as it might be, was the expression of abnormality in a sterile and cold universe... if he knew that we were alone…

On my way to my office, the nurse seemed to read my mind.

“Maybe it's not so bad; life has never been as valuable as it is now.”

A revealing statement to which I replied with a smile. Then I dared to ask:

“And for you... what is life?” 

“Life... life is everything that holds emotions inside.” 

“Do cells have emotions?” 

“They do, yes, they have the emotion of satisfying their instincts.”

We fell silent. Immediately, I focused on the words I would use with the eminent Biologist. Would she be capable of enduring the harsh blow that awaited her, or would she enter a vegetative shock like the Minister of Technology? Who knows,

it might even be that she had an appropriate response, or at least some words that could alleviate the discomfort coursing through my body and that of many others. At this point, I had come to accept that all of this was to quell my own mental storm, and that political responsibility toward my fellow beings would come after my own emotional healing. Things were taking the direction of my selfish tranquility. I was seeking my own answers.

Polaris was already waiting for me in the boardroom; the nurse decided to stay outside, not without saying that I should call her if necessary. I entered the boardroom, finding Polaris seated in a comfortable chair. She stood up immediately.

“But what great news, First Citizen, we finally found life, it's something... but, what's wrong... you don't look very happy.” 

“Well, that's why I summoned you, to discuss what I said in the conference.” 

“Yes, it's a dream come true.” 

“Please, have a seat.”

I ordered the computer in my office, through my integrated Brain Command Unit, to bring in a post-digital chair. Instantly, a door opened, placing the rather stylish chair in front of the armchair.

“Would you like a drink?” I asked my guest. 

“To celebrate... an ionosphere liquor!”

 “Ah! You have good taste” I ordered the computer again, and two glasses of the liquor descended onto the table.

We took a sip, and I said cheers! Trying to mask the situation. Although deep down, it was also a small ironic wink at our shifting existential state.

“Ah, very delicious... very good liquor... well... now, you can tell me why you summoned me.” 

“Yes... well, you know very well that our technological advancements have no precedent, and that both our missions and our interplanetary scanners don't fail. You know we've conducted experiments on Mars with samples of just two grams of cells, and the interplanetary scanner has always succeeded.” 

“Yes, First Citizen, our technological capability is undeniable.” 

“Then you'll know our results are unquestionable... but before anything else, I would like to ask you: what is the reason humanity has become obsessed with finding life on other planets? 

“Well, what other reason could there be besides comparison? Being able to compare ourselves to others who are also alive could give us so many answers... because we always take so many things for granted, surely we've missed the truths we most long for. I'd like to know all the possibilities in which life can develop... I don't know... maybe, with this discovery, we can find the most intrinsic truths about our own species. 

“I thought the same thing, but tell me yourself, what is your personal desire? What do you truly aspire to in seeking life on other worlds?” 

“The same thing, as I said; I'm searching for the mystery of life... you must know that we've never been able to create life in the laboratory... well, then, I want to know how life can form in the universe or rather, how something inanimate becomes conscious?... how, in the end, does matter become aware of itself?... 

“Sounds reasonable; everyone has a good reason.” 

“What's yours?” 

“Ammm!... it has changed recently, I'm not sure what to think anymore. Look, I'm going to tell you the truth about our findings, but it's complicated, many have struggled, several have had reactions similar to post-traumatic shock... Are you willing, at your own risk, to hear the truth?” 

“Absolutely, I'm a scientist.” 

“Look, the reality is that we don't have any extraterrestrial beings, nor have we made contact with any beings from other planets.” 

“Then?” 

“It's all a fabrication to conceal the truth and to be able to educate a new generation with reality.” 

“I find it deplorable…”

“Allow me to continue... the mission we're sending to that supposed world where there is life is only for the most enthusiastic to distance themselves from this planet and not go into shock when they learn the truth. It's a mission to nothingness, where they will find an empty world. They will discover the truth in due time and to the extent that their obsession doesn't cloud their consciousness.”

“First Citizen, everything you've told me so far is outrageous, and I assure you I won't remain silent about the injustices of your administration. I will be the one to come forward and say that the mission you're sending is a fraud!”

“Oh no, you wouldn't dare...2

“Of course, I would…”

“Not if I tell you the truth. There's no life in the universe! It's a heap of dust and gas, we're completely alone. Not even a tiny cell, nothing... nothing, and we've already confirmed it!”

I stayed watching the scientist, waiting to see how she would react. I looked into her eyes. Her pupils started dilating, her rigidity was becoming concerning. I think I had done everything but be kind to the biologist, but I was exasperated. The nurse was right, I was delivering the information too abruptly, not gradually. The situation was getting very bad, and when the eminent biologist's face turned pale, I tried to get her to react by calling her name, but nothing, she had fallen into a deep shock. I called the nurse, who came in immediately, very worried. Seeing the expression on the scientist's face, she took out an injection and was about to administer it when the woman reacted unexpectedly:

“No, no, no injections.” 

“But…” The nurse muttered. 

“I'm fine, I swear.” 

“But…” 

“I wasn't expecting this. But I'm fine, I assure you” 

“The scientist said, rubbing her eyes as if to wake up to the new reality.” 

“Wow” I said, “we've never seen someone recover so quickly.” 

“It's impressive what you've just told me, you're sure that there's no more life in the universe. 

“Absolutely, we've scanned everything. We've found that the universe folds in on itself like a sphere, and it's not actually as vast as we thought. If you travel in a straight line in a certain direction, you can come back to the Milky Way and our solar system. That's how we've been able to explore it completely. 

“Wow!... And parallel universes?” 

“Do you actually believe in the legends of the 21st century?... I'm sorry to shatter all your expectations.” 

“It's part of being a scientist... But I think I know what's going on.”

The nurse and I looked at her, as if imploring her to fill the existential void we were struggling with; the one we could no longer bear.

“Do you think you know what's going on?” I said, looking at her. 

“Yes.” 

“Really?” The nurse asked expectantly.

“...Allow me a moment” I said while finishing the rest of the liquor. I stood up, sighed, looked around the room, and thought about all the technology we had created; it was impossible for my Brain Command Unit to give me an answer like the one I was about to receive from the scientist. I sighed as I scratched my chin, then looked at the universe. “Please continue.” 

“Let's put it this way: for millennia, we've thought that if life happened in one place like this, it could surely happen somewhere else in the universe.” 

“Yes.” 

“So, we've presupposed that the universe has certain a priori qualities that produce what we call life.” 

“That could be said, yes.” 

“But if the universe is a place without widespread life, that would place us, rather, in a universe lacking that substance, principle, or quality with the power to generate it... so, it would be practically impossible for life to exist on this planet or any other.” 

“So?” 

“That life is a misinterpretation of our ignorance! In other words, we are in a chilling paradox because, since we have nothing to compare ourselves to, nothing tells us that we're very different from rocks, or that minerals can't be more alive than us. The supposed inhabitants of this planet wouldn't have to be anything special. Animals, insects, us – we are simple chemical elements equivalent to the maximum condition of the cosmos: sterility!... Throughout human existence, we've had a mistaken assumption, and from now on, we'll inhabit a contradictory and unsolvable becoming: life hasn't yet been created!”

August 11, 2023 14:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Harry Taverner
21:35 Aug 16, 2023

A very nice take on existential dread and the hubris of humankind, well done! The story ends very abruptly and openly, which I guess is the point - I found myself looking for an answer that wasn't there, much like the sufferers of your 'alien syndrome' we are left hanging on for a meaning...

Reply

Héctor Zalik
18:41 Aug 18, 2023

Thank you for your comments. Certainly, to think that there might be no more life in the universe, even though I find it unlikely, is a terrifying thought.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.