2 comments

Holiday Romance American

Waking up from cars honking, Tracey's hands found solace on her boyfriend Stanley. "Good morning beautiful" says Stanley before he prepare for lectures. On their way, passersby couldn't help but, notice as they held one another tightly. Their bond is unbreakable, everyone without any doubt says, they were destined to be together. But Stanley who displays a combative nature, was born with silver spoon in a platter of gold while his lover, seven years older than him, fights destiny by working as a waitress and doing odd jobs. 


In her first year, she barely paid her tuition fees but subsequently, it became his responsibility. These two love birds hatched their love on a lonely beach while on an annual town Holiday. He craves his solitary habits, preferring to be locked in his Disneyland. Tracey cruise through the sands, to let out some steam after being handed a slap from her mother for, rejecting to sell her body. 

While he surf's under the sun, she succumbed to go for a swim. As the water cooled her steam, the waters swallowed Stanley. She captures him to safety and she docked her lips with his for respiration. "What a beauty" he says as he slowly gazed at her. "Are you alright" asked Tracey. Thanks to you, I would have met my Waterloo. They introduced themselves and from that moment their lives were filled with desires of the heart.


His parents, objected to his love affair. They claimed she's a gold digger bent in ruining their family. He succeeded in trying to convince them but it was futile. They even threatened to halt his fundings, if he refuses. As stubborn as his father, he carried on secretly.


Stanley went to her mom's residence in a remote area. They were fast asleep with innocence after they had fun with their bodies. She woke up and with haste, she proceeded to get some groceries. Upon arrival, the building is on fire. Stanley was helpless as she called emergencies. She raced into the fire in hopes of saving him. They were rescued, but the fire made it's mark on their faces.


Surgery was done on both of them in separate hospital and their faces were changed. His parents were furious about the incident and forbid him from seeing her ever again. They threatened to accuse her of attempting to kill their only child. He begged his parents to show mercy. 


"We will drop the charges only if you desist from seeing that good for nothing girl."


Tracey never set her eyes on him again and dropped out of school in her final year. 


After about ten years, Tracey relocated with her daughter to another state, so to Start her life again after a bad marriage. She bakes cookies and bread to cater for home. Due to the houses being similar, she drove in the new neighbourhood as if she lost her way. She recognized it after a trash can dent her car.

With a bare chest and a short, stanley stormed out of the house holding his headset to see if they were hurt.


"We are okay. Thank you."        

"We are new here. That's my house opposite yours." She says after walking towards him. 

"Welcome to the neighborhood." He said with a shocking voice after her loose top gave way as she picked the car key.


"Where are my manners. I'm tracey and this is my daughter Abigail and I'm Fisher." They said as they shake hands. At that moment, he had flashback. She packed her belongings into her house as passersby welcomed her to the neighborhood.


The next day, she bought a bakery for a better price. The bakery is well equipped to improve productivity. Some weeks thereafter, it began operation. After four months, there hasn't been much profitable sales. She sought out the cause on her sofa. While listening to the radio, she took notice of an advert about a bakery nearby. 


She was amazed after taking, a visit to the bakery. They produced all kinds of flour based ingredients. "No wonder, sales were low" She says. So she made make an advert on both television and radio. She made baking videos on YouTube on a channel tagged "Bake That Cookies" and also making few donations to the less privileged.


Mr. Fisher became aware that she's the rival as sales began to diminish and influence dwindles. He knocked on Tracey's door making a proposal to buy her bakery while Abigail stared at him with anger. 


"Are you alright? You certainly need help." She replied. My bakery isn't for sale. If you could excuse me, get off my property.

"You'll regret this. Many had come and go so will you." He said.

What came over him?


Fisher Converse with Ryan Jr. a long time friend whom is an expert and lectures in 'Food science and Technology' . He relayed his predicament to him. Ryan made a suggestion that he should bribe one of Tracey's chef to place some forbidden additives in bread.


He denied such saying he can't go into such extremes. At his bakery, he keeps developing thoughts about that idea.


"No.....No I can't do that. There has to be another way. He ordered someone to watch wherever Tracey went. The man followed her into another city where she bought some items relating to worship in Buddhism.


Yes..... good job, I've found the answer. Having reported to Fisher, he charged the man to spread rumours, about Tracey being a pagan. Her employees kept staring at her. The atmosphere was stuffed. Even when she goes to the market, she caught the attention of others.

Some of the traders communicated with her in words having innuendos.   Tracey is suspicious, something is up. A close friend Rita, relay the rumours to her. 


"What! Just because I'm a Buddhist doesn't mean I'm evil. I even do charity to people. This is really unbelievable." She says crossing her legs and folding her arms. What can I do? Just as she asked, there was a knock on the door. 


Behold! It is the preachers. She gave hearings to their preaching and shut the door in annoyance. Her friend opined that she address the situation, to the public on social media and perhaps converting to their religion. 


"I'm won't change my beliefs for anybody".


As the alarm struck, to start the day, some officials paid her a visit. She was charged of producing poisonous food. Fisher was surprised at the development. Mr. Ryan paid him a visit to share the good news in open arms. He was furious at him for stopping so low. He pleaded to use his influence to set her free but, he says "his hands are tied".


Being unjustly accused, she became aggressive towards the law enforcement and kept wondering how this came to be. The interrogator was scared of her letting her anger loose. Fisher became clouded with feelings of remorse as his bakery business boom's and for the fact that Abigail now has to live with her grandmother. He achieved what he always aspire which is to be on top.


Few weeks later, Court proceedings started. It weren't in favour of her. She cried in regrets as the tears stained the floor because, of pursuit of money.

Fisher decided to visit Abigail at her grandmother's home. When he got there, he was lambasted and shocked to see Tracey's grandmother. They were both shocked as confused Abigail watched both of them displaying drama. There was a lot of questions unanswered on both sides, about the aftermath of the fire incident. After, resolving their issues in absence of Abigail, he got to know that is his daughter. He was filled with tears of pain and joy because the search for an heir is over.


Feelings of guilt clouded his mind as he thought of how his daughter, will live without father nor mother and for also abandoning Tracey after the fire incident. He met Tracey on the eve of the final judgment, with the lawyers and exposed his secrets of being 'Stanley her lost lover' to her.


She passed out as a result.

At the court, he pleased guilty and was sentenced to eight years imprisonment and to pay $70000 to the families that have been affected by his wicked act. Tracey and Stanley made eye contact as he was dragged to prison. Abigail ran to mommy as Tracey bent low to receive her . She was so pleased to see her mom. Her grandmother gave them a hug saying, "it's all over".


Stanley became a aged free man after eight years. As he stepped out of the boundaries of the prison, he was greeted by Abigail and Tracey. The poor girl said to him that;


"I accept you for coming back and promise to not leave us again".


Stanley knelt down with both legs and made the promised, placing his hand on his heart. He cried and gave her a warm hug.


The lovers got married on the day of a annual town festival - 'Just like cookies festival' and turned their bakeries into a family business. They became household names in that town for their charity and love. They lived a fulfilled lives happily ever after.



December 11, 2020 05:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Claire Tennant
04:51 Dec 18, 2020

This has the potential to be an epic tale of intrigue and winner takes all. I am afraid I was a little lost in this I suggest you try to emphasise the feelings of your characters How did Tracey feel about Stanley's parent's rejection was it a forerunner for the new chapter, the one where she has a daughter and meets Stanley again! This may aid the transtion to the conclusion a little better. Invite your readers into the story rather than telling facts. Indulge in a little more description so that the story flows Looking forward to seei...

Reply

John Jenyo
01:03 Dec 19, 2020

Thank you so much for your advice. I will put it into practice. This contest is for everyone to learn and improve. I want to say thank you to those who followed me and liked my story because, It gave me Joy and happiness.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.