0 comments

Fantasy

Dragon Cats had long been extinct, killed off hundreds of years ago by the human race. The massacre of this unique species was justified due to their hunting of sheep and other small farm animals. Their extinction was celebrated by the humans, but soon the celebration ceased and the memory of this ancient race was all but forgotten as a myth in the storybooks.

Being lost from the world's memory would be a tragic curse. But as Trex sat upon his perch high up on the cliffs, being forgotten was the greatest blessing he could ever have received. To the world he was extinct, but to his relief, and to the relief of his family, their ancestors had found a way to survive the massacre. For hundreds of years their small family adapted to a life of isolation. They had learned to catch prey without leaving behind a trace to give away their existence.

The valley Trex looked over was the very same valley that had once housed his people. It was the perfect location for a settlement. Freshwater streams flowed from great waterfalls, nurturing the fields of corn and grains. Thick forests which had once been Trex’s hunting grounds, were now cut bare and turned to pastures where sheep now grazed.

Trex watched the humans with focused eyes. The darkness shadowed him from the night watchmen who made their rounds outside the village gates. They walked the outskirts of the fields, some venturing a good couple miles into the remains of the forest. They had shed much blood to gain ownership of the valley, and they would not hesitate to shed more if they found the spies of their enemies lurking on their stolen lands.

But there were no spies, only Dragon Cats, prowling around in the shadows. Trex’s pack drew the watchmen to the forest, away from the flock of sheep. Trex took his opportunity. He spread out his wings, sleek like a reptile's skin yet covered in his fine blue fur. He pushed his great paws into the cliff's edge and pushed himself off. There was no need to fly far, but to glide down to the pastures.

He chose his landing a good distance from the flock, so his presence would not spook them and rouse the watchmen back to their protection. Trex kept low to the ground, taking careful, silent steps towards the flock. The tall grass shielded him from their wandering eyes. As he crept closer, he studied each sheep, contemplating which one would be the easiest prey.

A young ewe had wandered a bit away from the flock. In his youth Trex would have foolishly targeted that one, but after decades of hunting he now knew better. He had only one shot to make a catch, for the moment the flock started panicking the farmers would be out with their pitchforks and spears. One ewe was not worth the risk of his pack’s discovery.

Instead, Trex turned his eyes back to the middle of the flock, where a big bundle of sheep stood huddled together. Sheep were foolish creatures. Being so close to one another brought them comfort and security as it did for Trex and his family. But a Dragon Cat, despite being huddled in a group, was far quicker and able to escape easily from any threat. These sheep however, were slow creatures, their minds far too small to think. They would trip over one another in their attempt to escape, this would work well in Trex’s favor.

Trex spared one glance to his two followers, together they were the hunters of their pack. Their minds were in sync as though they were one. Trex looked back to his mark and pounced. His claws sank deep into the coat of his prey and as the flock bleated in panic, Trex’s two companions found their marks as well. As the flock scattered, Trex took to the sky keeping a firm grip on his catch though the yearling struggled for freedom. Trex and his comrades were well over the cliff and out of sight by the time the farmers rushed from their huts.

Trex led the way back to the rest of the pack, to the small forest encased cave they had made their new dwelling place. He followed the stream then cut inward through the forest. The waterway would never be safe as it held potential for a future human settlement. But water was an element of great necessity. Trex had chosen the spot for his pack a good couple miles from the stream out of sight yet still in reach of the water.

Trex left no path as he made the trek back home. His long slender legs carried him swiftly through the underbrush. The trees were too dense to fly through, but this did not cause any trouble. Trex moved much faster on his paws. His catch he now carried in his teeth. He could feel the sheep trembling in pain beneath his grip, its life slowly fading away.

Trex dropped his catch the moment the trees opened up to the cave. His mate and their kittens came running to congratulate him on his successful hunt. Trex ignored the reunion of his companions to their own mates. With his nose he pushed his young kittens towards his catch. He tore off the thick hide of the sheep revealing the warm flesh, making it easy for the kittens to rip off and devour. Together they ravaged the animal until there was nothing left but bone.

With his hunger satisfied, Trex settled down for the night within the cave, cuddled up close with his pack. He stared out at the trees which shadowed them, listening to the stillness of the forest. That feeling he felt was what kept him from taking revenge on their past oppressors. A specific plot of land was not important, what mattered most to Trex was his family. He had his family always by his side and together they lived their lives in peace. Trex could never ask for anything more.

March 02, 2023 17:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.