The Teacher

Submitted into Contest #261 in response to: Write a story about an unsung hero.... view prompt

17 comments

Creative Nonfiction Inspirational

She was a farmer’s daughter who earned her grade eleven diploma in one-room country schoolhouse just up the road from the farm. So, she was not prepared for the call that came that morning.

After her husband had left for work at the factory and both her young sons were out the door, the phone rang. It was the school. This could not be good news.

“Mrs. M., we’re calling to ask for your help. Our First Grade teacher, Mrs. Lamarche, is sick today and we’d like you to come and watch her class.”

Relief gave way to shock. Her boys were not in trouble, but... Dumbfounded, she managed to stammer, “I’m sorry, you want me to what?”

“We’d like you to come in and watch over Mrs. Lamarche’s Grade One class for the day. We’ll give them activities. You won’t have to do any teaching and it would be for just one day,” they explained. “We need someone to mind the children. They’re all very sweet.”

A stay-at-home mom raising two boys of her own, she knew better than to take that last part at face value. But this was the early 1950s: baby-boom kids were stuffing the schools to the rafters and teachers were in short supply.

She blinked in surprise once or twice after hanging up, then gathered her things and raced over to the school. Duty was a powerful motivator for her generation.

Somehow, she made it through the day ‘watching the kids’. When the last bell rang and the children were gone, she dropped by the office to say goodbye and tell them she was leaving. The school’s Principal was waiting.

“Oh, but Mrs. M, that went so well, we’d like you to come in for the rest of the week, please. It seems that Mrs. Lamarche needs a few days to recover.”

“But…” she stammered again, “I’m not a teacher!” Somehow, that one-room schoolhouse seemed like thin qualification for the job.

“Oh, seeing the way you handled them today, you’re a natural with children,” the Principal assured her. “We’ll give you some simple lessons to keep them busy. You’ll see. We’ll pay you, of course.”

Pay her? She hadn’t even thought of that. Well, one week. How hard could it be?

She was surprised at how that week flew by, but still, it was a relief when Friday afternoon rolled around and she once again stopped by the office to say goodbye. And once again, the school Principal was waiting.

“Oh, Mrs. M! It seems that Mrs. Lamarche won’t be coming back, maybe not until Hallowe’en or maybe even after Christmas!” The man looked aggrieved. “Her condition is worse than we thought,” the Principal apologized.

“Well, surely, there must be someone at another school?” she protested. “A substitute?”

“No, there’s no one! There’s a terrible shortage of teachers this year. I’ve had to take over the Grade Six class, myself,” he told her, looking even more unhappy. “We’re understaffed as it is.”

Taking a good look at his neatly pressed suit and fancy tie, she suspected that perhaps he was not the sort to be at quite home at the head of a classroom of rambunctious six-graders.

He held out a folder to her.

“Here’s a Grade One lesson plan. We can go over it now if you like.”

She did not ‘like’, exactly, but growing up on the farm, she’d been raised not to back away from a difficult situation, so she sat down and got a crash-course in how youngsters were expected to learn, week by wee: important things like their letters, their numbers and how to line up when the bell rang. It was just the first grade, after all. And to tell the truth, the children were rather sweet – when guided with a firm hand.

And so, Mrs. M., the farmer’s daughter with a grade 11 education, took over Mrs. Lamarche’s Grade One class. That year, as she taught her class their letters and how to count to one hundred, she discovered that she was enjoying herself. She taught them how to make Hallowe’en masks and practice their song for the Christmas play.

Oh, and there was more: how to go to ask politely to go to the bathroom, how to settle down after recess – that was quite a challenge – and how to cover their mouths when they sneezed. Share their coloured pencils. Don’t push. And no biting. Absolutely no biting!

Important things. The kinds of things they could carry forward all their lives.

She may not have had a teaching degree, but she had a knack for the job. In those years, that was enough, and, looking around at some of the other teachers, she realised that a college degree did not guarantee one became a successful teacher. Privately, she felt that the Principal was a case in point. He lacked a firm hand.

That was 1952. She retired in 1973. She said they were the best years of her life.

Late in those years, after my brothers had grown into ‘fine young men’ (!), it was she who taught me to read and write. She was my mother, you see.

No honours were heaped on her, no one ever gave her a prize, her name was never blared from loudspeakers at a parade. She just quietly settled down and got the job done. And she never asked for more.

Except… once in a while when I was a child, I’d be out with her when she ran into one of her former students. They’d smile shyly and ask how ‘Mrs. M.’ was doing, and who was this young fellow trying to hide behind her leg? I’d squirm, but I could see how proud she looked when they greeted her.

Twenty-two years’ worth of kids learned their ABCs and 1-2-3s from my unsung mother.

Did I say unsung?

Well, nothing ostentatious – she’d never approve – but, every once in a while a quiet note of gratitude would make its way back to her. It would come as a smile and a happy wave from a young adult who’d found their way in the world in part because a country girl with a Grade 11 diploma from a one-room schoolhouse didn’t walk away when she was asked to step in.

July 30, 2024 18:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

Sylvain White
00:21 Aug 08, 2024

Very moving story. We never know the impact of a teacher on a student. The most famous story about it may be Albert Camus writing to his elementary teacher after receiving his Nobel Prize (rather easy to find with Google)

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:21 Aug 06, 2024

Beautiful short story! Big thanks for the natural teachers like your mom who do their everyday work and teach our children. It is not an easy job to do.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Carol Stewart
00:47 Aug 06, 2024

A touching tribute. Amazing how those with no qualifications could be called upon back then. Enjoyed the read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Helen Allen
00:07 Aug 06, 2024

Loved the story. Anything is possible if you have the love for it. Peter you are a great story teller.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nathalie Primak
17:08 Aug 05, 2024

Story telling comes naturally to you, Peter! I felt compelled to read on and feel inspired to continue my journey as a teacher. Thank you for sharing this heartfelt and personal account of your life!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kevin Dearden
01:26 Aug 14, 2024

An amazing story about an amazing woman. Well done Peter!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Deborah Howden
01:06 Aug 14, 2024

This story is a touching tribute to a remarkable woman who stepped into an unexpected role and quietly transformed the lives of many, despite her modest background. I personally knew this Mrs. M. and was so positively affected by her warmth, kindness and strength. This story is a poignant reminder that true influence often comes from those who simply do the work. Beautifully written, Peter. An engaging read from the first to the last word.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lisa Howden
01:06 Aug 12, 2024

What a beautiful tribute! I love your story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jenny Cook
01:31 Aug 10, 2024

What a beautiful story. I think we have all experienced the "good" and "bad" teachers in our lives and been blessed to have one outstanding person who made a big difference. Teachers are the unsung heroes in Life and should be acknowledged more often. I am so proud that my oldest granddaughter is a Special Needs teacher and is dedicated to be the best she can.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Geertje H
02:00 Aug 09, 2024

I admit to not have any fond memories of my 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th grade teachers (though 3rd must have been the worst, I missed half that year to "belly aches"). But I loved my 5th grade teacher. She made grade school worthwhile for most of us. (and none of us seemed to mind that she got married during summer break :-)) The principal (6th grade) was a prick, ask anyone. But Mrs. Hameling kept the school healthy and smiling. Thank God for good teachers.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Susan O'REILLY
13:45 Aug 08, 2024

ah teachers a skill that can't be taught great story sláinte xx

Reply

Show 0 replies
Peter Modesto
17:56 Aug 06, 2024

Hi. Thanks to all the 'likers' out there and to those who took the time to leave a comment. In case there is any doubt, let me make clear that this story is entirely true, although I did make up the name of the teacher that my Mom replaced and I might have speculated a bit on how the Principal behaved. But I didn't have to worry about letting the facts get in the way of a good story this time: this is how it really happened. As Carol commented below, it *is* surprising how someone without formal qualifications could even be asked to teach in...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rita Jerumanis
15:00 Aug 05, 2024

I never had the pleasure of meeting your mother but thank you for the glimpse of the lady who helped inspire the wonderful man and father you’ve become.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Paul Sawyer
03:09 Aug 05, 2024

Needs light editing, but it's a good story, nicely told, and an up-lifting message about the good that each of us could do if we don't walk away.

Reply

Peter Modesto
13:25 Aug 05, 2024

Ugh... light editing needed... yes, I know. I was too eager to submit. Missing the word 'a' right in the first sentence! And the 'week by wee' plus one or two other word choices. I'm so angry with myself. Perhaps the gods of Reedsy editing will smile upon me with a light touch. Still, with this story, I try to recognise the importance of small things in the everyday.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lisa Brown
18:31 Aug 04, 2024

Agree with Florence, brought me into the story, to understand how Mrs. M was feeling. Teachers are unsung heros.

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:23 Aug 04, 2024

I could imaging the woman in the story. I loved it. Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.