0 comments

General



Day one 

I was running and running, faster than usual my drool dripping and as I go on my feet with even more excitement and want to catch that delicious meaty bone and there was nothing that was to be said. I shout at it to stop and to let me catch it but it soon slips far from my paws. The sound of the vehicle coming in and the footsteps of someone wake me up. I wake up to find the door opening and shutting and I open my eyes to find the human coming in with a emotion which was foreign. It was like a smile but similar to a scowl and there was some kind of radiance of sadness surrounding her. I shout at her and go near her with my tail wagging and with excitement trifold. She looks at me with a smile on her face and I rush to once again be in her arms and sit in her laps. She starts talking to me with excitement evident in her tone “Rambo, from tomorrow we are gonna have a lot of fun, cause from tomorrow I am gonna be at home.” Idon’t understand what she is saying, even though her words are not complex. The only words I hear are ‘stay at home’ and ‘a lot of fun’. I jump around her excited and run into the room to get my ball, maybe she was telling the truth or maybe she was not, maybe she would go to her office again tomorrow and not return until what seemed like days. I was having major doubts cause she always lied to me by telling me she would not go anywhere, and now I won’t let her also. 


I ran back with a smile on my face and with the ball in my mouth to catch her cleaning her hands, she gently smiled at me as I looked at her eagerly. I go and pounce onto the couch waiting for her to return and give me some snacks as it was mandatory for her, maybe she would give me chicken or even watermelon would be amazing. As I sat there drooling and looking like I want more she comes and sits leaning on me gently as she does. What! She was not giving me anything, I barked at her and whined looking at her with my gentle eye as I guided her and asked her for snacks. Maybe she would comply but as she stood up I barked again with excitement but instead she pushed me off the couch making me howl, cause how could she do that? ‘Push me, a 17 month baby off the couch.’ I rush onto the couch and sit next to her wiggling my body and she looks at me meanly “what do you think you are doing? Get off you 90 pound beast.” She laughs while saying that and I bark happy that she was listening to me and had not gone back to her sad state. 

I wag my tail even more and she gets a biscuit out of her pocket and feeds me and at last I feel completely relaxed. I fell asleep in her arms happy that she was right next to me.


The next day 

Her sleepy grinning face greets my eye as soon as I wake up and I start barking to pee as I can feel my full bladder crying for its pressing needs. She looks at me with a frown and wakes up like a cat waking up from a long sleep and I smile at her even happily. She stands up and says “It’s 5:00 why did you wake me up  at this time? You weirdo” her hand goes to the leash and I bound for the door, she opens it and we go out, I start whining for a long walk by then she looks at me suspiciously and says “You pee then we will go inside.” The excitement leeches from me but I continue in my peeing adventure and she gets dragged to the dark end with me. 

Her face glows as I state that I am done and we vagabond back home, she takes me in and immediately rushes me to the strange room with that creepy water blaster. As she picks the water blaster up I try to run away positive that she would terrorize me with it but she instead aims for my feet while trying to clean them. I rush out after I give her the satisfaction of doing that and we go back to sleep as she rushes and takes my leash off just to drop on the bed. 


We both fall asleep. She wakes up around 8:00 and immediately screams on the top of her lungs that she was late but then she falls back on the bed relaxing while remembering something. I stood up and looked at her with confusion and alarmed that such a thing had happened and once again I looked at her curiosity and at the door because the time for her to go had come. 

She does not wake up and I go shout at her cause she still hadn’t come out of that bed, she stares at me with one eye open and tells me to shoo. A few minutes pass as I try to observe what she had said to me, shoo, that damned word repeats in my mind and I rush off to kill her by waking her up. 


I end up sleeping next to her. 

A few hours later

She woke up and has been looking at that infernal device for almost eternity, I think she was hearing the news or something but as soon as she gets of it she calls me near her, hugs me and starts crying, “I am so scared, I can’t go back home or meet my parents.” She cries for a long time hanging on to my fur and I sit next to her scared of whatever disaster had broken her down. I stand and wag my tail telling her that I was with her and not to be sacred and all she does is smile at me. Damn it! This woman never takes my pledges of security seriously. 

A few more minutes pass and I run off wanting for something to chew on. A voice in the tv comes “The coronavirus toll has reached 300 in India and a quarantine has been imposed onto the country. Stay home and stay safe.” She sighs and takes out her phone to talk, ‘You know I am scared, you may lose your job and don’t worry about that I won’t cause the education system will always be needing new people and no way will it be going down.” A pause echoes as she smiles in my direction and says “We will be fine.” 

Maybe I could ignore the sadness radiating from her or maybe I could stop thinking about it but I was sure that in these coming days we will be fine. 


The coming days 

We made a lot of memories in this couple of days and as she looked at me offering me watermelon I knew it, she was my owner. Even though she cried after looking at the news almost everyday there were still moments were we laughed and I looked at her as she moved around as clumsily as she could. We danced and we had shouting matches and when I knew she was homesick I went near her and comforted her that everything would be alright. 













March 26, 2020 17:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.