2 comments

Drama Fantasy Mystery

It is the year 1967. My name is Betsy, and I will be telling my story.

I sit alone in a hallway, in a day seat. I am by the stairs in a row home. I am three months of age. I have red hair and hazel eyes.

I hear people shouting. Two of these persons are my mother and father. I do not know who the other two voices belong to. I had only heard their voices way back then!

I am about seven. I just finished reading a hundred and some page book, and I am very excited about it! I had a hard time learning to read when I was young, so when I did learn it was a huge accomplishment for me! I went to tell my mom and dad about it, but neither of them seemed to care! I guessed that it was just because they had a lot of work to do on the farm and my six brothers and sisters too. I loved having all my siblings, it was great most of the time! When I wanted to be alone, I would take a blanket and a book and go down to the creek that laid on the edge of our eight acres of land. The book I had just read was entitled "Pippy in the South Seas".

It is now 1977, I am ten now. Mom and dad are arguing and for some odd reason I am being put in the middle of it all! I get chased around the living room by dad. I was not sweeping the carpet fast enough! I thought back then that I knew for sure they were angry about something that had nothing to do with me, personally.

"You two need help!", I thought to myself! I also thought, "What does all this fighting have to do with me?" It is about the year 1978, and I am now eleven. I am getting a haircut for the first time. Daddy doesn't know about it until later. When he sees my hair he is very angry! He pulls my hair hard. It brings not only tears of physical pain, but emotional pain as well! I have a difficult time understanding why, every time they argue, I get picked on. I think to myself, " What is it about me that mom and dad doesn't like?"

Dad apologizes later, but I say nothing! Mom and Dad divorce! I have three brothers and three sisters. We are all left to wonder now, what in heck is going on? Is mom lying or is dad? What a mess!

Dad had just walked out the front door, with a paper bag full of clothing in his arms! A very sad day for all of us kids!

Another incident, I am able to recall, is that of one day as mom's and dad's argument and my name mentioned again - I went out onto our front porch to gather my thoughts! I thought I would be alone there, but instead - there was my eldest brother. He said, "You Love it!" I was too hurt to say anything in return! My brother had no idea how much I hated it!

After all this, I would often find myself feeling guilty for something I knew nothing about! A few years later, at age 15 our Aunt Bee came for a visit, out of the blue, after 20 years. She had something, supposedly very important to speak with mother about!

When Aunt Bee arrived, I had opened the door to her knock! I looked directly into her eyes and felt a very strange sensation! She said to me then, "You must be Betsy!", as she smiled sarcastically! I said, "I am." I called to mother then, as I allowed her in, to let mom know that Aunt Bee had arrived.

During her visit, she tried to kill our mother, by putting drugs in her drink. Mom had gone to the bathroom, which was next to the bedroom. It was at that time when Aunt Bee had plenty of time to do the deed!

I had just learned C.P.R, and First-Aide in High School. Until the ambulance arrived, it was about twenty minutes. During that time I had to keep Mom alive! Aunt Bee had to leave in a rush, she had forgotten about the important thing to talk of, suddenly. The doctors said there were traces of Black Beauties in my mother's system!

The argument I had heard, as I sat in the hallway of that row-home, years before, was mom and dad, and my Uncle Bill and my Aunt Bee, arguing over whose child I really was. Dad had been sworn to secrecy all those years, to cover my mother's infidelity!

Mom had told me a little story back then. She said to me, "Your father was renting our row-home to a couple and the argument was of them not paying their rent!" We moved into the farmhouse, in the country in July of 1967 - exactly four months after! I was seven months old then!

Uncle Bill had red hair! I was the only red-haired child of seven children. Mom and dad would joke about me being the mailman's or the milkman's child! I figured it out! A sister's revenge on her sister, for such a reason, would be very plausible!

The name - Betsy, is a fictitious name. This story may or may not be the workings of the author's wild imagination! The mystery is where the intrigue lies!

It was exactly seven months later that we had moved from the city to the country, and away from where Dad's and Uncle Bill's row-homes were - back in 1967.

In about the year 2011, I had gone to see a Clairvoyant. My husband and I had lost a son, to an automobile accident! The Clairvoyant told me that she saw our son, up in the heavenly realms, standing next to a red-haired man named Bill - who was sitting astride a red motorcycle. Uncle Bill loved riding motorcycles!

August 18, 2021 17:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Scott McKay
01:18 Aug 22, 2021

Not a bad short. Reminds me of some drama that happened in my family, lol. I enjoy these kinds of stories with snippets of the character's life throughout the years. I would, however, recommend not using as many exclamation points in the future.

Reply

02:04 Aug 23, 2021

Thank you Scott.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.