1 comment

Desi Fiction Contemporary

Around six that evening, when the doorbell rang, Eshan was busy getting things ready for the evening's party. Wondering who had turned up so early, he grumpily went to the door. It was Nathan. "I'm here to help you," he said with a smile. "How much can you possibly do all by yourself." Holding forward a single rose that had a long, slender stalk, he bowed “ I wanted to be the first to congratulate you and here is a rose for my thorny Eshan for his new assignment” Eshan knew that the emphatic 'all by yourself' was hardly intentional, but it bothered him.

He knew this crafty fox was referring to the recent break up Eshan had with Vanshika his colleague who had moved out of their flat breaking up his heart.

Controlling his feelings, Eshan flashed his characteristic smile and invited Nathan inside. He took the single rose and immediately put in one of the slender tulip glass. He looked at it admiringly while Nathan slouched in the easy chair.

“ You said you came to help me?” With a quizzical look Eshan asked Nathan. A burly body, crumpled T-shirt, oily hair and torn jeans, Nathan hardly appeared to have dressed for a party which included a reasonable number of men and women.

With half closed eyes, an impish smile, Nathan looked at Eshan. “ I came here to give you company which is as good as helping you”, said Nathan in his heavy voice. Eshan understood that Nathan was more of a nuisance and it was better to carry on with his work than to meddle with the crafty jackal.

Eshan was hosting the party to celebrate his recent promotion as well as relocation to the Singapore office. He was happy that he was leaving this place, ironically to get away from all the happy memories of the time spent with Vanshika in the apartment.

“ The crockery is ready, the glasses are on the counter, and the food would arrive any moment. Glad I chose the Blueberry, famous for its delicious food and prompt service”, Eshan spoke aloud to himself, an old habit which Vanshika always ridiculed.

He noticed Nathan had dozed off in the easy chair. In a way Eshan was happy that he was saved from hearing to all the nonsense this fellow often spoke.

Eshan’s gaze went back to the lone rose in the tulip glass and a flood of memories crowded his mind. He vividly remembered that how the group of ten new recruits for the software company were welcomed to the office with a rose each, offered by a beautiful, slim and charming lady Ms. Vanshika. Eshan was so nervous , that literally his fingers shook when he took the rose clumsily and unfortunately he dropped it on the floor. While others laughed , Vanshika picked the rose and gave it back to him with the same smile.

  After the joining formalities got over, he was shown his cubicle which was located between Nathan and Vanshika. He felt happy to see the beautiful Vanshika next to him but at the same time he saw the haggard face of Nathan with an irksome smile on his face. He instinctively disliked this man.

Slowly the morning greetings and smiles between him and sweet Vanshika turned more intimate. Eshan would stay back on purpose late hours in the office and often drop Vanshika at her flat.

On the other hand Nathan also stuck to him like a leech. He slowly started liking this haggard Nathan who spent  most of his time in Eshan’s flat. His favourite topic was women in the office, their dress , hairstyle and how they spoke which irritated the host.Eshan disliked the talk especially when he would address Vanshika as ‘Vish Kanya’, the lethal woman.

One day Vanshika decided to move to Eshan’s flat . Though Eshan‘s conservative upbringing did not support the idea of ‘live in relation’ but he was madly in love to miss the opportunity of staying with her. That was two years ago.

But now it seemed such a long time. The two years spent with Vanshika were the best times.

Vanshika took care of all the things from food, groceries, outings and even parties. They become popular in their office circle for organising parties on surprising themes. She used to decide the theme, food, dress code, music etc.

But one fine day she left him. Everything had changed both in the office and in his life. Eshan suspected Nathan for this debacle. He was pretty sure that Nathan was the betrayer who was responsible for creating the rift between the two love birds. 

“Spoons, forks, paper napkins, glasses, soup bowls are ready” talking to himself Eshan glanced at the things set on the table. It was decided that no hard drinks, only beer would be included in the menu. Eshan checked the music system and selected all soft and romantic music. Since there was not much of furniture, he arranged for a few mattresses and cushions on the floor for those who would like to relax.

Eshan went to the closet to pick up a few bed sheets. His eyes fell on the pink sari which he had bought for her brining back the sweet bitter feelings. Vanshika was really excited. “ Thank you . This is my favourite colour. But what is the occasion? It looks very expensive.”, she remarked in her usual sweet way. 

But before Eshan could speak a word, the cockroach Nathan who was near the door, appeared as if he was hiding in the closet.“ Don’t be so impressed dear Vish. Your dear man bought the sari in “seconds sale” and I paid for the sari and he is yet to repay the loan!” Smiling , spoke, Nathan, the two tongue snake . Vanshika was hurt and threw the sari in the closet and rushed into the kitchen leaving the two men alone.

Eshan wanted to strangle and throw Nathan from the fifth floor balcony. He looked at him severely and said “Don’t you have any manners? You walk into our house as if it’s a railway platform. What was the necessity for you to speak all those words. You had asked me to repay at my convience! And now why all that revelation!”

Nathan shamelessly grinned with no apology coming forth. Eshan wanted to ask him to stop coming to their house in future. But he could not. Nathan was his immediate supervisor. Both Vanshika and he feared repercussions.

The other day, Eshan waited for Vanshika at the parking lot as she was attending a marathon meeting. It was almost midnight. She was apologetic but he smiled at her and started his bike but the damned thing wouldn’t start. They decided to hire a cab. But from nowhere came Nathan, and offered to drop Vanshika home. She was hesitant but Eshan felt she deserved good rest and insisted she should go with Nathan. Both of them left and he in sheer frustration kicked his bike hard.

When he reached home it was almost three in the morning. He found the apartment locked. He wondered where Vanshika was. He entered the room and throwing his laptop bag on the sofa, went straight to bed and slept.

It was almost half past nine, he woke up with a start. Vanshika was in the kitchen making coffee. He called her. “Hey where were you last night?”. Vanshika came out with two cups of coffee neatly arranged on their favourite wooden tray simply answered, “ It was too late so I slept at Nathan’s place”. The coffee now tasted more bitter than usual for Eshan. He looked quizzically at her. For their flat was before Nathan’s apartment.

Vanshika could understand what was going on in Eshan’s mind. “He took a different route and insisted I stay back in his flat instead of spending time on a longer route. Even I felt it was not a bad idea”, she answered bit indifferently .

Nathan came to their flat the next evening. Vanshika had gone to attend her yoga classes . Eshan was a bit out of mood, and didn’t speak much.Nathan kept chattering and every time his glance would appear like searching for Vanshika but didn’t dare to ask Eshan. It was getting dark, Nathan decided to leave. He opened the door, turned back , winked at Eshan and spoke lazily, “With Vanshika around you don’t need sleeping pills”. He laughed loudly and ran down the stairs.

Eshan was enable to register the import of his words but at the same time a terrible restlessness crept in him. He waited for Vanshika to return from her class. But today she was late than her usual time.

Vanshika entered the room and as her usual habit was,she came forward to sit on Eshan’s lap. But he stopped her mid way and asked why was she late. Though she felt a bit odd, causally she told him, that she had met Nathan at the building and he insisted to have an ice cream and she couldn’t refuse him.

The little spark of suspicion slowly picked up the speed and Eshan’s eyes all the time acted like a spy camera watching Vanshika’s movements. He started behaving like a possessive husband as if she was his property and trespassing was a crime.

Vanshika felt the terrible vibrations too and she felt it was time to say goodbye. First she tried to reason out with him but he neither supported nor condemned her actions. “This is a safe way of playing the blame game which men are expert in doing”, thought the poor woman.

The next morning, she left the apartment taking her stuff with her except the stupid pink sari. She left a goodbye note pinned up with her favourite fridge magnet of Cupid with an arrow.

Eshan was sad with the turn of the events and that evening Nathan came and asked for Vanshika. Eshan caught hold of his collar and said, “You rascal, she isn’t my property. You better take her and never again utter her name!”

Nathan slowly removed the hands from the collar and said, “ Too late brother. This offer would have been good ten years back and now with a 8 year old daughter I cannot afford to take her.”

“Why? You never told me you were married” , insisted Eshan. Nathan looking at him said “You never asked me!”

The same thought of throwing Nathan from the fifth floor balcony came back to Eshan. Next day he found Vanshika had left the job. And no one knew her address. It was futile to look for her and well how would he explain his stupid behaviour.

“Ding dong , ding dong”, the door bell rang and Eshan’s reverie broke. He rushed to the door to welcome the guest. He opened the door. The lone guest was on the mobile. Eshan was speechless, the voice sounded like silk, melodious to his ears.

 “Please cancel the order, no party in flat No. 125 , and we would settle the bill tomorrow. This is Mrs. Vanshika Eshan speaking...

.

November 13, 2020 06:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Osagiede Best
10:08 Nov 20, 2020

Nice and relaxing. Trying to make it more intriguing, less plain, next time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.