Contest #158 shortlist ⭐️

Maiden Voyage

Submitted into Contest #158 in response to: Write a story where the law plays an important role.... view prompt

47 comments

Crime Suspense Fiction

Vestal, Ohio

The heat. The damn, ever-loving summer heat. It covered like a veil, even at 11:04 p.m., according to the clock on the squad’s dash. A single drop of sweat ran from Officer Todd Fowler’s hairline behind his right ear onto the collar of his navy uniform shirt, which was bear-hugged by a twenty-pound tactical vest that did nothing but absorb all that heat.   

Hell of a night for my maiden voyage, he thought, as his eyes flitted from the clock to the blue-screened laptop in front of the passenger seat to the unopened bottle of Remy Martin. Who even drinks cognac these days? he wondered as he turned onto County Trunk Highway J. That would take him into town, to the station and the temporary holding facility, where he would Mirandize his suspect.

That suspect called himself James. No last name, or was James his last name? Officer Fowler couldn’t get a straight answer out of the wiry, mulleted man with the thin moustache and goatee who quietly sat in the rear of the squad. The shadows created by the passing street lamps traipsed across his rugged, even handsome face, but the man said nothing. He was handcuffed, but at least he was calm. People get funny, which is to say peculiar, when it gets hot out. 

Why this James guy decided to walk into Steck’s Liquors at the edge of town, grab the $100 bottle of cognac, and simply walk out was beyond Officer Fowler. Stupid criminal tricks. When the cashier gave chase, perhaps foolishly, James clobbered him with a right uppercut that broke the man’s nose and left a shirt full of blood. Then he just kept walking down the road into the heart of small-town darkness and didn’t resist when Officer Fowler arrested him ten minutes later. In fact, he had even been polite: “Yes, Officer. No, Officer.”

That had been a relief. Officer Fowler had completed his department’s field training program the week before and was in a squad by himself for the first time. No more shadowing. It was all him, baby. He knew the book and went by it without question. In this case: Absolutely do not engage the suspect under any circumstances, and make sure the squad’s mobile audio/video system is operational. If the suspect makes an utterance before the reading of his Miranda rights, remember what was said and pass it on to the detective, though the system should pick that up. 

Still staring out the window, James said with nonchalance, “You know, Officer, I took a man’s life tonight. I thought you should know that in case you want to investigate.”

Whoa. What the hell…?

Okay, pay attention now, boy, Fowler thought, as the squad trundled down the better-lit County J. The station was about five miles away. Plenty of time for this joker to chat me up.

“I made his heart stop,” James went on, making eye contact with Officer Fowler through the rearview mirror. “I think the doctors call it ‘sudden cardiac arrest.’ Do you know how that works?”

No response; by the book, of course. Officer Fowler goosed the accelerator just a bit. Best get this nutcase to holding ASAP.

“Blood is loaded with oxygen, you see, and when the heart stops beating, it can’t get to the brain and other organs,” James said. Was that the beginning of a smile on his face? Fowler couldn’t tell in the lulls of darkness between street lamps. Sure looked like it, though.

“Death, then, happens in minutes.”

Okay, this guy may be 10-96, he thought. That’s cop code for a mental subject, someone who may not have the mental capacity to realize what he’s said or done. Departments across the country were phasing out 10 codes in place of plain English after the chaos of Hurricane Katrina, but his chief still saw value in them for his rural Ohio department that was set in its ways. That department, by the way, hadn’t had a murder in more than forty years.

Officer Fowler considered notifying Dispatch, but thought better of it, because that might indicate James was getting under his skin. Which, truth be told, he was, but like a middle-school teacher, you can’t show weakness.

“I wonder, Officer, if you’ve ever dealt with a dead body before,” James said, then squinted a bit. “No, you’re pretty young. First night on patrol by yourself, is it?”

Reflexively, Fowler turned his head, mistakenly taking his eyes off the road, because when he turned back, there he was, stumbling across County J. A tall, dark-haired, barefoot man in a torn T-shirt and blue jeans, maybe in his early forties.

Familiar. He had seen the man’s face before. But where…?

“You’re going to stop to help him, aren’t you, Officer?” he heard James ask from the back seat behind the squad’s plexiglass barrier. “Aren’t you legally, and perhaps morally, obligated to do so?”

No response. C’mon, boy. No response.

“Officer? Officer?”

What’s procedure in this situation?

The priority is the suspect in the squad. Don’t leave the squad. Call Dispatch and them know what’s going on. Follow and maintain visual of the subject outside the vehicle. Wait for backup. If necessary, use the loudspeaker to determine the situation.

But the man stopped in the middle of the road and held his hands high over his head. He was sweaty—who wasn’t at this point of the summer?—and he had what appeared to be streaks of bloody cuts across his face and neck. One seemed to stretch like a river from his left ear to his Adam’s apple.

That’s who he is: Father Daniel from the First Episcopal Church downtown. Officer Fowler had met him a few weeks earlier at the church’s summer carnival. They had joked about the pastor’s children, ages nine, five, and three. His wife, a shapely brunette with nice legs, was really good-looking, surprising for a man of the cloth.

They lived out here somewhere, maybe across one of those farm fields. Officer Fowler remembered Father Daniel mentioning that. A parsonage. That’s what it was.

“Help, Officer, help!” Father Daniel’s scream carried across the sultry air as the squad came to a complete stop in front of him. He placed both hands on the hood, and the whiteness of his knuckles was apparent to Officer Fowler even in the shadows.

Father Daniel had obviously been through a lot tonight.

“Shouldn’t you get out and help him?” James asked. “I mean, he’s clearly in distress. Do your job. Help the man.”

Instead, Fowler flipped on the loudspeaker. “Father Daniel,” he said as the volume of his voice echoed voice filled the squad’s cabin, “are you hurt?”

The pastor squinted at the windshield, made a fist with his right hand, and brought it to his lips while pointing with the other. “Devil!” he screamed. “Antichrist!”

It took a moment for Officer Fowler to realize the priest wasn’t pointing at him; he was pointing at James, who said, “I do believe the good Father isn’t playing with a full deck, Officer. Lucifer? Please. He’s a friend, but I’m not him.”

“Shut up!” the officer growled, turning his head to the right, but making no eye contact with the suspect. Breach of protocol, and the system was recording away.

DamnDo not engage the suspect. The suspect in the squad was the priority.

But was he? There were instances, according to his academy instructors, when it was appropriate to leave the squad. Maybe this was one of them…

“Devil! Antichrist! Deviiiiillll…!”

“Will you tell him I’m not Lucifer? I mean, my God,” James started, but this time Officer Fowler turned almost completely around and gave him a look he hoped would have scared the crap out of a gorilla. James simply chuckled and pursed his lips into a tight, malevolent smile.

Father Daniel had taken a few steps away from the front of the squad, while Officer Fowler picked up the squad’s radio microphone and fairly shouted, “Dispatch? This is 311, requesting backup at County J, a mile north of Valley Road. I’m transporting a suspect, and I have an injured subject heading north on J. I’m maintaining visual.”

Nothing. Not even the crackle of static.

He tried again: nothing.

“It seems as if your colleagues have abandoned you,” James said, and Fowler could still see the last vestiges of his corrupt grin before it disappeared.

“Help him, Officer Fowler,” James went on. “Help him. You can save his life if you hurry. Help him.”

Did the suspect just use my actual name? Fowler immediately thought of his girlfriend, Ashley, and their seven-month-old son back at their crummy apartment blocks away from the First Episcopalian Church. He and Ashley were planning to get married in the fall, civil ceremony. Both of them were atheists.

“Look!” James crowed from behind.

Father Daniel had disappeared. Nothing but darkness across the windshield and hood of the squad.

Priority is the suspect: James. Protocol. 

But then his thoughts turned to Father Daniel, his hot wife, and their kids.

Ashley. Their own kid who was probably snuggled in his crib at that moment.

In the dark. In the heat.

Officer Fowler gripped the door handle, stopped, looked at James in the rearview—who was still smiling—opened the door, and leapt out. Protocol be damned.

Father Daniel was sprawled on the pavement beside the broken yellow line that faded into the darkness beyond the range of the squad’s headlights. 

“Father!” he squawked, racing around the broken man’s body so he faced the squad. Just in case.

Immediately, he began a heart massage. That, too, was procedure.

Father Daniel wheezed and moved his lips ever so slightly. Officer Fowler leaned in until his ear was parallel with his mouth. “B-b-banish.” The priest moved no more, and his eyes became glassy slits.

“Sudden cardiac arrest,” came a nearby voice now clearly outside the squad.

James was leaning on his left leg, his left hand on his hip, and the other holding the bottle of Remy Martin. 

“You won’t be needing this,” he said as Fowler’s gun unholstered itself and flew into the cornstalks on the other side of the road. James lifted his left hand, and there was what appeared to be an orange—no white—coal in the palm. He cocked his arm back as if ready to hurl it.

Officer Fowler fell backward onto his ass and pushed himself away from the suspect, who had now skip-stepped forward, apparently to gain momentum.

Now was the time. Banish him

“I command you to leave!” Fowler screamed, recalling something he had read about religious wackos and their so-called ability to cast out evil spirits. Wait, that’s not enough; they always say something about Jesus

Therefore, the name leapt from his throat. And again and again.

“Jesus? You mean my enemy,” James said, “Come on, you don’t really believe in him, do you? I’ve been watching you for years, Officer Fowler. You don’t believe in anything. Neither does Ashley. And neither will your boy. That will be your legacy after you join me in my dwelling. 

“Now, Father Daniel is a true believer, which is why I came to call on him tonight. True believers are tough nuts to crack, but if you apply enough pressure… It was amazingly simple to lure him into the cornstalks from his ‘parsonage.’ I merely whispered in his ear and told him to come.”

A pause.

“And yes, I lied. I am the god of this world. I am he of which the good Father spoke.” James raised his left arm again, and this time the spherical coal in his hand made for Officer Fowler’s chest. 

Maybe my vest will ward it off, he thought. Doubtful. There was no time. 

“Jesus!” he screamed once again.

At that, the hot coal burst into a million tiny pieces illuminated by the glare of the squad’s headlights. They bounced on the pavement between Fowler and Father Daniel, like cigarette ash, before flaming out.

Suddenly James was gone along with the bottle of Remy Martin.

The suspect. The suspect was supposed to be the priority.

A siren began to wail in the distance, getting closer. Backup.

Maybe the radio had actually worked. 

But Dispatch didn’t acknowledge me. How is that possible? How is any of this possible?

There was a cough, a wheeze, really, and Officer Fowler darted toward Father Daniel, who wasn’t moving, but he was alive.

“Officer,” came a weak, thready voice, “help me.”

Fowler crawled on his hands and knees across the pavement to where the Father lie; the bloody marks were still evident on his face and neck. They looked worse up close: clear, precision cuts that might have been made by a doctor with a scalpel or even a mortician or medical examiner. 

He wasn’t going to make it. That was clear.

“Officer…”

“Yes, Father.”

“Let the Lord guide you.”

***

The department’s inquiry of the event, which received assistance from both county and state law enforcement, took a month. Officer Fowler didn’t need the book to tell him that honesty was the best policy in this situation. His mother had taught him that. He truthfully responded to every question, every cross-examination, every angry missive by men who were trained to root out untruth. But they could find none. For that, Officer Fowler received a thirty-day suspension without pay, but at least he retained his job. 

In the intervening time, he attended Father Daniel’s funeral, hugged his widow and their three children, and cried like everyone else. He and Ashley made it through the toughest financial month of their lives with a little help from both sets of parents, and they started planning their marriage ceremony, which would be held the following spring at First Episcopal Church. And a surprise: they were expecting again. Her doctor said it was another boy, whom they decided to name Daniel.

Officer Fowler was relegated to a desk after he returned to work, and that bright autumn day, the receptionist informed him that Father Daniel’s wife was in the lobby. He went up front, and as usual, she was stunning in a pair of white capri pants and a sleeveless blouse. Her youngest was in tow and clearly bored. In her hand was a rectangular package with Officer Fowler’s name on it in black magic marker.

She explained that it had been left on her front porch, and since it was addressed to him, she figured she should drop it off, yada yada.

Fowler opened the box, and inside was a bottle of Remy Martin and a note that read, “I told you I took a man’s life that night.” 

August 05, 2022 22:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

47 comments

Amanda Lieser
21:35 Sep 05, 2022

Hi Gregg! Wow! This piece was stunning. I gobbled it up right away because of the incredible imagery and witty thought pieces. I also enjoyed the way that you chose the officer’s perspective and your use of the term maiden voyage. It certainly was a red herring. I am a total sucker for a happy ending with a twist so I enjoyed that last line as well. Nice job and congratulations!

Reply

Gregg Voss
22:24 Sep 05, 2022

Hi Amanda, Thanks for the kudos, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. The police chief in the town I live in outside of Chicago explained to me the ins and outs of police work, i.e., the nuance, which came in handy as I was writing this story. Inside info: I'm working on a sequel. :-). It'll be in my next book; the first was The Valley of American Shadow, which is on Amazon if you're interested. What is your current work in progress? Care to share?

Reply

Amanda Lieser
22:32 Sep 05, 2022

Hi Gregg! That is so cool! I’d love to hear more about your experience with self publishing? Does the book have a bunch of separate short stories? Or are they all linked together in some way? I just finished Dream A Little Dream of Me and put it up for this week’s contest. I’d value any thoughts or opinions you’d have to share!

Reply

Gregg Voss
23:40 Sep 05, 2022

Hi, the book is a collection of 16 short stories, including Maiden Voyage, which have as their overarching theme the paranormal, or the strangeness that goes on in America; in other words, it's an American valley of the sinister. I can discuss self-publishing, it was a pretty good experience for my first outing. Of course I will review Dream A Little Dream of Me ASAP. My story, Rainbow Electric, will come on line later this week, I'd imagine. Another paranormal piece.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
S. E. Mary
15:20 Aug 29, 2022

I can certainly tell why this story was shortlisted. It was suspenseful to say the least and I love the vocabulary in this piece. Each word felt perfectly chosen. It is not often that I read a piece that feels as if not one word is out of place. Great job and congratulations.

Reply

Gregg Voss
15:36 Aug 29, 2022

Thanks. My first book was full of stories like this (16, I think). It's titled The Valley of American Shadow and it's on Amazon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
T.S.A. Maiven
08:55 Aug 26, 2022

Some excellent descriptions in here. Very good story. I enjoyed reading it. Good job on the shortlist!

Reply

Gregg Voss
10:37 Aug 26, 2022

Thanks so much for the kind words, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. What is your work in progress these days? Care to share?

Reply

T.S.A. Maiven
23:06 Sep 02, 2022

Right now my work in progress is to keep writing these weekly stories! I think this is a great community for writers. I'm still new.

Reply

Gregg Voss
12:38 Sep 03, 2022

I've been considering that as well, but I am now starting to find that by writing a new story every week, I'm not sure I have enough time to make sure the quality is really there. So I will take a week or two off from time to time to work on other things.

Reply

T.S.A. Maiven
16:45 Sep 03, 2022

I absolutely agree. Usually with me crunch time comes and I'm only beginning to edit so some things feel half finished or sloppy. But the ones I dont submit I have to work on and revise at my leisure. I do write a lot of poetry on the side as well as journaling.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Feuer Wasser
17:50 Aug 25, 2022

I loved this story. Very well written. Awesome plot. I really enjoyed reading this. Thank you.

Reply

Gregg Voss
18:02 Aug 25, 2022

Thanks so much for your kind comment. Out of curiosity, are you from Deutschland? I am a fan of Bayern Munich. :-) What is your work in progress these days? Care to share?

Reply

Feuer Wasser
19:55 Aug 25, 2022

Nope, I'm from New York. A thing I'm waking on is this, Let me know if you read it and I would love to hear any feedback, if you have some. Please take note that I have not edited it, so it might be a lite messy. Here it is: Tulsa, Oklahoma - 1957, October Reckless snorted and crow-hops at the bush, almost like he was afraid of it, but I know he was just messing around. It must be because of the weather outside, crisp, cool and breezy air. He’s a young horse, so of course he wants to just run. I also love to gallop so, to let him know...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Feuer Wasser
13:20 Aug 28, 2022

Where you able to read my story?

Reply

Gregg Voss
14:50 Aug 28, 2022

Acht - I cover high school sports and football started this weekend, so I was really locked in on that. May I read and comment today? My apologies.

Reply

Feuer Wasser
14:56 Aug 28, 2022

No problem. Yes, you can read and comment on it today when you can. Thank you!

Reply

Gregg Voss
17:07 Aug 28, 2022

OK, here are my thoughts: 1. I love the fact that you set up the story by saying Tulsa 1957, because that sets up in my mind the visual of where we are and what we're doing. Obviously, I have limited perception of that, but in my mind, I see horses, kids making it on their own and other things that matter to the scope of the story. So Bravo on that; it's a little thing but important. 2. One thing I was taught as a writer by multiple editors is to get the story off the "conflict runway" fast. Like a plane taking off. I would say get to the co...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
08:40 Aug 21, 2022

It unfurled. A kind of James Hardley Chase build-up. Fine work . Congrats.

Reply

Gregg Voss
11:41 Aug 21, 2022

Many thanks. What is your current work in progress? Care to share?

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
13:33 Aug 23, 2022

Each Friday is my Reedsey day. Saturday morning I don't fail to post fresh work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kelsey H
09:45 Aug 20, 2022

Very interesting story, great build up of tension, I especially enjoyed the police officer struggling between what is the right procedure and what is the best thing to do in this situation he finds himself in. I guess training never prepared him for dealing with the supernatural! The interaction between him and James was great, I like how it started out seeming he was an average criminal trying to provoke police and then when they come across Father Daniel things rapidly get weirder.

Reply

Gregg Voss
11:24 Aug 20, 2022

Weird is the operant word. :-) Thanks so much for the commentary; the police chief in the town I live in advised me on the technical matters of this story, which (I felt) made it seem more realistic. Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tod Moran
21:30 Aug 17, 2022

The writing is clear, I followed the plot (to a point) and the tension did build. However, I didn't get the point of the booze showing up. Also how James get out of the handcuffs? Are we to assume he has some magical power. If so, you lost me. Final test: Would you read the story again? No.

Reply

Show 0 replies
L.M. Lydon
17:08 Aug 17, 2022

That took a really unexpected turn! You do a great job bringing the narrator, the newb cop, to life. His hesitation and conflict add suspense.

Reply

Gregg Voss
17:13 Aug 17, 2022

It's funny, but this idea (the nugget of it) has been rolling around in my head for years and years. I had a slight heart attack in 2016 and so I decided I better start writing some of this down....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kendra Lindholm
15:20 Aug 17, 2022

Wow! So suspenseful! I would love to see another story with Fowler where he has to cope with being followed by James (Lucifer). I was going to ask if you were a police officer, but I saw the comment before that you did some good research!

Reply

Gregg Voss
17:11 Aug 17, 2022

The town I live in (outside of Chicago) is LOADED with people and places that are really inspirational for fiction. The prior story I wrote, Aisle of Denial, is based (loosely) on the main grocery store in my neighborhood. My first book is a lot more stories just like that. You can find it on Amazon, it's titled The Valley of American Shadow. Looking forward to reading your work later this week!

Reply

Kendra Lindholm
17:20 Aug 17, 2022

Small world! I'm also from the Chicago area! I'll check out your other story!

Reply

Gregg Voss
17:23 Aug 17, 2022

Wow, that's wild. I'm in La Grange, in the western burbs. What are you working on these days? Care to share?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:09 Aug 16, 2022

This story has a great build up! We have a rules-focused cop out on his first shift alone, which is already tense. Then he picks up a guy acting erratically. Then the guy drops a bomb, "I took a man’s life tonight." That's already a massive, tension driving event. But the way he says it is important too. Is he telling the truth? Is he nuts and unpredictable? Fowler doesn't know. But *then* we get yet another event cranking up the tension, with a mystery man showing up on the road. Someone who needs help? Someone who is a danger? And all...

Reply

Gregg Voss
21:32 Aug 16, 2022

I'm glad you enjoyed it. The chief of police in my hometown sat down with me and explained the ins and outs of police work, so he gets a lot of the credit.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:44 Aug 16, 2022

Ah, that's awesome :) It's super useful to have an expert like that available. Saved some of my stories from ridiculous "I just assume it works this way" situations.

Reply

Gregg Voss
22:02 Aug 16, 2022

To me, the research is almost as fun as writing. For my story this week, for example, I talked to my friend the local high school baseball coach. He had some insights that are going to figure in prominently to this story.

Reply

Michał Przywara
13:55 Aug 19, 2022

Congratulations on the shortlist!

Reply

Gregg Voss
14:00 Aug 19, 2022

Thanks, I was pleased, but what's kind of weird is that I submitted this story almost on a whim. But kind shows that there are hidden gems if you look hard enough.... What is your work in progress these days? Care to share?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.