A Shot at Happiness

Written in response to: Set your story in the stands at a major sporting event.... view prompt

42 comments

Drama American Fiction

And now, let’s give it up for your three-time NBA champions --- and trying for a fourth today --, your very own Dallas Riggers!


The crowd of 21,000 hooting mouths rise to their feet, thumping their chests like a legion of Roman gladiators ready to fight to the death. Their hollers as the jersey-clad boys come out of the dressing rooms pierce my eardrums like the leaden bullets of a sport rifle. Keenan Murphy, the Riggers’ star player, extends his large, solid hand to the screaming spectators, who gamely give him a high five. As he and his boomerang-shaped smile make their way towards me, I feel my heart drop, as if it were a skier crashing rapidly down a slope for an entire sporting world to see.


“Hi, Mrs. Clayton.”


“No, please, you needn’t…”


“Come on now, Helen,” my husband Ross prods too loudly, his brown eyes balls tethered onto my hand. “Do it for the TV cameras.”


Just like that, all control of my body disappears and an invisible pair of powerful hands grips my arms, swinging them out to the waiting palms of the point guard as if they were mere baseball bats.


Twenty-three years --- or as Ross once mentioned and then, gave me the backhanded compliment of being “So book smart, I strike out to talking to normal people” when I didn’t get the reference -- a Jordan of years. It's been twenty-three years we’ve been married. It’s also the exact number of years I’ve been dragged to one of these basketball games, the hottest event in town whenever there’s a match in the Pioneer Center, as the wife of the National Basketball Association’s Number 2 seeded team’s owner.


I know. I’ve had women in Riggers memorabilia dash their way through crowds, their labored breaths laced with adrenaline and envy, just to tell me that it must be as if I’ve won a conference championship being able to have the front row seat to every playoff and an automatic pass to the team’s locker room. If only they knew that the entire time that they’re shrieking for the local squad, I’m imagining my eyes dribbling in excitement as I take in paintings in the museum on the other side of town. If only they knew that at the center…


“Hey, Honey, look up.”


My sapphire eyes volley up to my shocked face projected onto the giant Jumbotron screen as arms that look like deflated footballs wrap around me. In my periphery, I notice Ross’ beady orbs sparkle with yet another set of clunky, awkward words mulling in his brain, as if they were the legs stumbling over repeatedly over hurdles. Before he could open his mouth, I let my thoughts sprint out of me.


“Ross, I can’t even count the number of times I’ve told you this. It’s starting to seem like a blind spot. But yes, I don’t like it when you…”


“I’m sorry, Helen. I know you’d rather keep a low profile, okay.”


“Okay, good,” I reply, a semblance of hope sending me vaulting upwards. “I’m glad you under…”


“But you have to admit. You must have secretly enjoyed it.”


“What, no” I exclaim, the exchange between us going on instant replay in my brain. “I really didn’t…”


“I know you did,” he replies chuckling, his head turning towards the shots and passes of the basketball club he purchased way before he met me. In the more than two decades I’ve been married to Ross, I’ve grown to know that this particular tag team of cantankerous laughter and cranial swivel is the final bell in the boxing ring of our wits…and as always, it’s his hands that are raised by the adjudicator.


“Just one. Just one conversation that isn’t verbal sparring,” I can only mutter to the sweaty air as the squeaks of sneakers and my husband’s cheers ring in my ear like a buzzer.


That’s that. There’s nothing else to do but to slump in my plastic bucket seat and picture myself in an art gallery yet again, picture the colors on canvas summersault their way into my vision. Of course, my mind couldn’t help picturing….


“Hey, Helen Honey…”


“Wait, what,” I sputter out, Ross’ intrusion snapping me back to reality like the string on a bow. I attempt to once again simulate the Zen expression of a karate master. “What is it, Ross?”


Without a word, he takes out a large Manila folder and hands it to me, his gaze ping-ponging between my face and the binder in my hands.


“Open it.”


I gasp. My stare is glued on “Paris” in big, bold letters on a sheet of paper with the words “Boarding Pass” on top. Just thinking about the gilded châteaux and the bustling cafés of Montmartre has my brain cartwheeling.


“France for our anniversary! I don’t know what to say,” I exclaim, beaming as if I were on a podium. “This is so…out-of-bounds from…”


“Well, you keep nagging me and nagging me about it,” Ross responds, his eyes rolling around like a bowling ball.


“I…”


“Seriously now, Helen, how many times must you…”


“Are you really going to…oops!”


A set of laminated on lanyards bellyflop on to the ground with a quiet thud. I pick them up and feel the air knocked out of my lungs, almost like I ran a marathon. As I see the five interlocking multicolored rings printed on, a fresh stream of tears bobsleds its way across the once-icy wall of my face.


“You…promised…that…,” I blubber, the sight of the backstage passes karate chopping my insides.


“What do you expect, Helen,” Ross spits back, gritting his teeth like a weightlifter about to perform a clean-and-jerk movement.


If only you were…. ah, stop, Helen.


“What do I expect? I expect that for once, you’re not going to hijack…”


“Helen, you know well that the reason we have our sports cars…”


“But I never wanted that.”


“Then, what do you want?”


“Twenty-three years, Ross,” I reply firmly, bile cycling around my system. “All I ask is just one trip where I get to do something I want. Just one visit to a museum. One lunch in a bistro. Just one time where it’s not about win… again?”


My regard ricochets to my husband who, for yet another instance, zoomed past me in the middle of a request for my turn in the game of desires. As I watch his smirk in front of the television cameras, I sense my heart buried in a rugby scrum, resignation flipping me over and tackling me to the grass. Yet again, the final score is as follows: Ross – countless and me – zero.


Of course, I wouldn’t feel like I was gamed if only…


“Oh wait, what’s this” I whisper to myself as a ping targets itself onto my ears. As soon as I swipe to the notification, my thoughts whizz around in me.


“Patrick Burton would like to add you as a friend,” I mutter to myself, quiet as a grandmaster reflecting on his next move, reading the message.


Instantly, memories from seven Olympiads ago flood my brain: sliding into the Dallas Museum of Art and letting the colors of his works gallop in my mind, smoothly gliding like a puck on ice across the city to meet up with Patrick at our favorite café, the laughter between us whilst discussing impressionism sounding like music in a choreographed gymnastics floor routine, the engagement ring he slipped onto my finger feeling like a medal around my neck, hugging him at the airport before his flight to New York for a residency upper cutting me in the soul, the letters that never came extinguishing the torch inside me little by little.


Patrick, the only man I ever loved.


Of course, three years after my wedding, I was to find the missives from Patrick stuffed in a drawer full of basketball cards in Ross' office, to discover that my parents practically traded me to Ross so his coffers could help with our family’s sporting goods empire, to know I was a pawn in a twisted game that made me lose my joy. I've tried many times to get out, but it seems like Ross knew every play in my arsenal. If only I knew. If only I didn’t lose my shot at not scoring love...


“Well, I couldn’t be more over the moon with the results right now at half time,” Ross bellows to the TV camera. “I’m happy. Dallas is happy. I think the only one who isn’t is my wife. Hahahaha!”


That chuckle. That infuriating chuckle buzzes in my head again, signaling the end of yet another one of my husband’s games.


However, this time, I resolve to win. I rummage through my purse to fish for my phone. Tomorrow, I will ask my assistant to go pick up particular documents, ones that will flash "Game Over" in giant letters in the boob tube of Ross' consciousness, for me to sign. Right now, though, I let my fingers be agile on the screen of my phone, let myself be the champion of my life.


Hi, Patrick! It’s me, Helen. How are you?


June 26, 2024 17:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

42 comments

Trudy Jas
00:43 Jun 30, 2024

Fun story. One wonder why she stayed with him so long. :-)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:01 Jun 30, 2024

Thank you, Trudy ! I think I should have drummed up the fact that she wanted to be with Patrick the whole time and (because of not hearing from him) thought he fell out of love for her.

Reply

Trudy Jas
01:37 Jun 30, 2024

But she found the letters twenty years ago. Poor crossed stars

Reply

Alexis Araneta
05:19 Jun 30, 2024

I'll have to add on that when I get home tonight then. Hahahaha !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jim LaFleur
18:02 Jul 01, 2024

Helen’s journey is both heart-wrenching and empowering. Fantastic job weaving in all those sports references seamlessly!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
18:06 Jul 01, 2024

Hi, Jim ! Thanks for the read. I'm happy you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
21:21 Jun 30, 2024

A clever write with all those sporting terms woven in. Rooting for Helen all the way!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:19 Jul 01, 2024

Yay ! Happy you like it, Carol ! It was a challenge for non-sport fan me to stick to the theme, but I'm happy it worked !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
McKade Kerr
19:16 Jun 30, 2024

Another great one! I love all the sports references! I was super impressed with how you kept the imagery and descriptions on theme with the story!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:21 Jul 01, 2024

Thank you so much, McKade. I try to pick an imagery theme and stick to it for all my stories. I'm happy you like the style. Thank you, as usual, for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
07:50 Jun 30, 2024

Ah! Lovely story. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
10:21 Jun 30, 2024

Thank you, Stevie !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dennis Haak
07:32 Jun 30, 2024

Entertaining read, Alexis! Creative use of all that sport jargon. And man, that Ross is one hell of an annoying man, haha.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
10:21 Jun 30, 2024

Glad you liked it, Dennis. I must admit sport is not my strong suit, but it was fun to write. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
05:59 Jun 30, 2024

I bet there is many a partner who has been dragged to many sporting events. Not as the owners wife though! That has perks, like being bale to buy her own museum! A shot, and she scores! on this great story!! ;)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
06:58 Jun 30, 2024

Precisely that. There's the whole image to uphold. Glad you liked the story, Marty!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
VJ Hamilton
00:01 Jun 30, 2024

Well done, Alexis, I think you had a lot of fun writing this conflict! Phrases like "cantankerous laughter and cranial swivel is the final bell in the boxing ring of our wits" add to the punch of the battle. I also like the unit you made up: "a Jordan of years" (=23 years) LoL.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
00:31 Jun 30, 2024

Hi, VJ ! Like I mentioned in other comments, I'm not a sport person, so I had to stretch the meaning of a sport story a bit. I'm happy you liked the sport references (that I Googled). Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John McPhee
19:59 Jun 29, 2024

Very well written story Alexis. You must be a sports buff with all those sports references! Well done!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:48 Jun 29, 2024

Thank you so much, John ! The funny thing is, like Helen, I'm not a sporting fan. But writing this with a glossary of sport terms helps. Hahahaha ! Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
06:23 Jun 28, 2024

No way I could live with someone I can't stand. Beautiful writing. Splendid work as always.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
07:02 Jun 28, 2024

Well, there's that. Hahahaha ! Glad you liked it, Darvico ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David Newcombe
23:38 Jun 27, 2024

You have an ability to say much simply through imagery and symbolism. Even the end of the story is satisfying yet remains open to many possibilities.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:41 Jun 28, 2024

Hi, David ! Thank you so much. I love works (whether written or on the screen) where things are stated subtly and the imagery does a lot of talking. To know I could do that bolsters my confidence as a writer. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:49 Jun 27, 2024

A story set in the stands during a game, during which time it becomes obvious that the wife, Helen, would rather not be there. She is thinking about everything else but the game. The couple are seriously ill matched. And she had been tricked into thinking Patrick didn't care. She married Ross instead. But now . . . She cleverly describes her feelings and her resolve in sporting terms. Will she follow her heart? Cleverly done.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
08:59 Jun 27, 2024

Hi, Kaitlyn ! As I mentioned, I'm not a sport person (much like Helen), so I struggled with the set of prompts. I just went to my love of romance and drama stories, so I came up with this. Exactly that. It was clear artistic Patrick is more in line with Helen's cultural sensibilities, but she got tricked into marrying Ross. Will love blossom a second time around for the two? Hmmm...hahaha ! Thanks for reading, as usual !

Reply

20:03 Jun 30, 2024

Haha. Me too. My story has two sparring rivals - girl thinks she's the best - teaming up to execute revenge with a tad of romance chucked in. Melissa did a story about a wife on the receiving end of domestic abuse after a game being won/lost. She got out with her child in time. A brave angle! We can still fit with the spirit of the prompt even if we tackle a different aspect.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
06:41 Jun 27, 2024

Poor Helen, she should have left long ago, but rather late than never I suppose! Great work here, excellent writing as always!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
06:47 Jun 27, 2024

Hi, Melissa ! Precisely that. I guess I should have made it clear, though, that she only stayed because it was Patrick she wanted to be with, and she thought she lost her shot. Thanks for reading ! Happy you liked it !

Reply

06:58 Jun 27, 2024

Better alone than with someone you don't love! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
21:19 Jun 26, 2024

Awesome! Distinctive characters having conflict, vivid sensory imagery and descriptions, backstory woven into the plot, main character arousing empathy and compassion, drawing the reader into her inner world. Wordcraft and vocabulary, as always, high quality writing. A unique spin on a sports competition. Entertaining and compelling!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:34 Jun 27, 2024

Hi, Kristi ! Like I said, I sort of struggled on what to write because I'm not so big into sport. I'm just happy I was able to pull putting the sporting event in the background for a compelling story. I think at the end of the day, I'm a romance and drama writer, so I just leant into that. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:24 Jun 26, 2024

To Paris for the Olympics. What could be finer?

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:31 Jun 27, 2024

For Helen, literally anything else that would honour her interests rather than being steamrolled. Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
18:57 Jun 26, 2024

Oh, my goodness!! This was such a delight to read!! Dallas Riggers...hahaha!!! I laughed out loud at that and thought it was very clever! I know you are editing this fine story, but I thought it was really good. Writing a sports story is a challenge because they are all similar in a way, but here you bring us a story about a woman who is absorbed into a life she never wanted and is just begging for win of her own. Ross is so irritating and comes across as a jerk, which I think was the point, so you did really well with him. I wanted to s...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:24 Jun 27, 2024

Hi, Daniel ! As usual, your support means so much to me. I always look forward to your comments because you're always so encouraging. Thank you for that. I think it's obvious I'm kind of clueless about basketball (I don't even have the right accent to be an NBA fan. Hahahaha !), but I'm still happy it worked. I kind of wanted to play with the brashness of basketball team owners, as well as the word "shot", so I came up with this concept. Sorry, hoops fans for using the sport you love, I guess ?! Hahahaha ! To be honest, I didn't know what...

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
05:49 Jun 27, 2024

You're welcome! As a huge NBA fan, I thought you did a great job with this! Like I said, sport stories are hard to write and this was different and fresh! Loved it!! 🏆

Reply

Alexis Araneta
05:53 Jun 27, 2024

ACK ! I hope I did the sport justice. Honestly, my kind of sport....is TV quiz shows. Hahahaha ! Glad you liked it, though, Daniel !!

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
05:56 Jun 27, 2024

You did a great job! TV quiz shows.....hahaha!! I loved....it! ❤️

Reply

Alexis Araneta
05:58 Jun 27, 2024

Oh, you know me. 😂I love...your comments. ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
16:23 Jul 02, 2024

You did a great job weaving Helen's story into the game. Poor woman! Let's hope she leaves this man and finds happiness in a world without sports. I love the title "A Shot at Happiness." This is exactly what she deserves. I'm "rooting" for her!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:38 Jul 02, 2024

Thank you, Karen ! Like I mentioned, I'm not really a sporting fan, so I decided to put the game into the background. I'm happy you liked the play on the sporting theme with the title. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.