Contest #173 shortlist ⭐️

How to Return a Half-Eaten Cheeseburger From 1997

Submitted into Contest #173 in response to: Write about a character going to great lengths to return an unwanted gift.... view prompt

65 comments

American Romance

2006  

You’re still there, right where I left you, wrapped up in the yellow wax paper blanket that keeps you warm against the ice-cold breath of the refrigerator. Even now, I still worry about you. In those sudden frantic moments that I cannot immediately locate you, I tear apart my refrigerator, pushing aside the tubs of low-fat yogurt and bottles of diet Snapple, until I find you, my one and only cheeseburger, tucked away in some icy, back corner, breathing in whatever years, days, seconds you have left of your precious, predetermined shelf life. 


In fact, today is your birthday. I hesitate to do the math, but I must. You are nine in human years, eighty in burger years. You were supposed to rot over by now, surrender to the bacterial clutches of time. Yet the deathly amount of preservatives running through your system has, like Botox, imbued you with the illusion of youth. You will last forever for all I know. Maybe you will even outlive me. No matter how many times my wife lectures me to make you disappear, I cannot bring myself to say goodbye. 


For one, I have no idea how I would get rid of you. A cheeseburger like you belongs somewhere better than in the hollows of my stomach; and the uneaten half that remains of your juicy carnage belongs somewhere much more special than trapped between my molars. You deserve to travel first class—not through the claustrophobic tubes of my intestinal track. Besides, we have gotten to a point where I can no longer eat you, because, once I do, we will both cease to exist. 


My wife makes the ludicrous recommendation to simply throw you away. Recommendation is a euphemism; it is closer to a demand. Lately she’s become more adamant about getting rid of you. It’s either me or her, she says in her sharp, jealous voice. I appreciate her consideration in, at the very least, giving you the dignity of a third person singular pronoun. It proves that, at the very least, she knows how special you are to me—perhaps even more special than she is to me.


But I decide it’s time to let you go—I just do not yet know how. To my wife, you are nothing but an unwanted house guest. And the only thing worse than being a fifty-one-year-old man with a nine-year-old cheeseburger in his fridge is being a divorced fifty-one-year-old man with a nine-year-old cheeseburger in his fridge. 


I run through my options and decide that there’s only one respectful way to get rid of you. 


I must return you to where you came from. 


***


1997

There are many signs that someone is in love with you.


They speak about your future. 


They bring you around important people in their life. 


But perhaps the most telltale sign is when, midway through devouring a hot, juicy cheeseburger, they have an epiphany. With juice running down their face, and their stomach still growling, something strange happens. Love overcomes their insaitable hunger and they decide to save you a piece. They would not do this for anyone else on this planet, and that is a fact. They wrap up what remains of their half-eaten meal and bring it to you as a greasy token of their affection.


Perhaps that is why I’m so touched when my wife gifts me a brown paper bag full of half-eaten food, gently plopping it on my lap as I lie on the couch watching reruns of Twin Peaks. It does not matter that her mouth has already touched it. Our mouths have already touched many times before.  


I save the half-eaten cheeseburger in the fridge for later. Perhaps for later that night or later that week. But soon, later that week has turned into later that month and later that month has turned into later that year. Grief has made it difficult for me to eat. I subsist on mainly ginger ale and microwavable soups until I work my way up to more solid foods and eventually a second wife. Still, I cannot bring myself to eat it. The ragged bite marks that generously stop exaclty halfway through the burger make me believe that their owner is still somewhere alive and breathing. I do not know how I could possibly dispose of it either. There is no thrift shop that accepts food or any sacred, golden garbage can for sentimental objects you can neither keep nor trash. 


I resort to leaving it in my fridge. Over time, it becomes you and I do everything in my power to protect you from getting smashed by second wife’s stupid health foods that think they’re oh-so-much better than you. Goody-two-shoes Gala apples obnoxiously wearing their I’m organic! stickers. Jugs of dark green vegetable sludge lined up like stone-faced, disciplined soldiers. You begin to feel inferior and hide your rotting, sodium-fraught body in far-off corners, away from the spotlight of the refrigerator bulb. All I can do is assure you that you are still, and will always be, my one and only.


***


2006

The fast-food joint is crowded. I should not have come in on a Friday, but second wife has left me no other option.


However, the cashier currently working looks trustworthy enough, and I determine he is someone I can leave you with.


As I wait in line, I look down at you through the clear Ziploc coffin I’ve placed you in. The persistent deep fryer alarms go off around us. The fryers spit hot grease onto the skin of underpaid cooks. I open the bag and lift your sesame seed bun, just to see you one last time. Even as I betray you, you still smile back at me with your mouth made of Heinz. Your half-eaten eyes made of pickles look sadder than usual, but I tell myself it is just the underdeveloped mold colony clouding your vision. 


When I get to the front, the cashier calls me champ and asks what he can get for me. Being called something as grand and comically unfitting as champ makes me feel small and stupid, even more so than I already did. Perhaps that is how you feel at this moment as well.


As I struggle for my words, I try to explain to him that I would like to return a purchase. That I do not have a receipt nor a reason for my return. That I simply need to leave my half-eaten cheeseburger somewhere safe, like a baby I can no longer properly care for. 


He mechanically apologizes for my dissatisfaction, and I telepathically assure you that I am returning you for no such reason. Do not listen to this guy, I tell you. He does not know what he is talking about. You are not a substandard product or fall short of my expectations, as he puts it.


As an impatient line grows behind me, my palms begin to sweat. I am no champ. Just a middle-aged man with a half-eaten cheeseburger in his shaking hands. In desperation, I go to great lengths to explain my situation to him without having to explain my situation at all. I lie and tell him that, halfway through eating this cheeseburger, an oracle was delivered to me. It was delivered via the image of a calf eating grass on TV. I've since converted to veganism and, for that reason, I must return you.


But he refuses to confiscate you from me and politely declines my return on the basis that you are a biohazard. He offers me a refund and a free non-meat item of my choice from the menu instead, but that is not what I want. 


I end up on a bench outside, defeated, with your cold, almost-lifeless body in my hands. I take you home and put you back in my fridge.


However, the next time I check on you, I do not have to frantically search for you. The V8 bottles are gone and so are the pre-portioned meal prep tubs of lean beef and carrots that probably fill second wife’s workplace with the obnoxious stench of preparedness.


Standing alone now in my underwear, I peel back your crinkly packaging to make sure you are okay. The green digits on my microwave say 2:06 in the morning. The refrigerator hums against the stillness, and the refrigerator bulb is the only thing illuminating my dark, empty kitchen.


We have both been left to rot alone, but at least you're still there, right where I left you.

November 24, 2022 23:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

65 comments

Jennifer Cameron
11:08 Nov 28, 2022

I loved this story so much, when I started reading, I had no idea how it was going to finish and this was beautiful.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
22:53 Nov 28, 2022

Thank you, Jennifer! Predictable endings are one of my biggest fears, so I'm glad it wasn't the case!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:53 Nov 27, 2022

Depressed man and 1/2 hamburger need a bucket list of adventures to have together in future chapters. Greatly enjoyed how you took the silly premise of this story all the way.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
02:54 Nov 28, 2022

Thank you, Scott! Appreicate you taking the time to read and comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
03:39 Nov 27, 2022

Good meat

Reply

Liv Chocolate
02:52 Nov 28, 2022

🍔

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:17 Nov 26, 2022

Liv, Your idea and the way you made it come to life through your writing is very skillful and clever. I admire the way you thought outside the box. I agree, it would make an excellent animated story.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
00:42 Nov 27, 2022

Thank you, Kimberly! 🍔❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:31 Nov 26, 2022

Would someone PLEASE animate this short story? Any 2-D animators in the house? Here is someone's Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film. The imagery doesn't just jump -- it catapults off the page. I need to study your work more closely. With so much dead prose cluttering up the aisles, your writing zings and zips, pulling the reader along like a puppy in search of a pile of leaves. Best line: "Jugs of dark green vegetable sludge lined up like stone-faced, disciplined soldiers." (Odwalla juice, O how we miss thee.)

Reply

Liv Chocolate
19:39 Nov 26, 2022

Omg this comment made my day!! : ') Thank you so much, Deidra. This is one of the nicest, most colorful comments I've ever received on my writing, even outside of Reedsy. Also, swear on my life, I was imagining this story in the form of an animated one before I wrote it XD Love the puppy in search of a pile of leaves simile 🐶

Reply

20:03 Nov 26, 2022

My youngest attends Savannah College of Art & Design. I passed it along and said, "If you are looking for your senior project. This might be it." Stay tuned. Some impoverished 20-year old might be coming to you, hat in hand. :)

Reply

Liv Chocolate
20:09 Nov 26, 2022

That's so awesome! Thank you, Deidra! If they're ever interested, my email is aliciapaleno@gmail.com (Complete spoiler alert: Liv Chocolate is sadly not my birth given name)

Reply

20:10 Nov 26, 2022

Ironically, Kevin Broccoli (one of my favorite Reedsy writers) was born: Kevin Broccoli.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
20:12 Nov 26, 2022

Love Mr. Broccoli! Wish we could tag him on here 🥦

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Henry Azure
14:44 Nov 25, 2022

The final image of standing alone in the kitchen at 2am is haunting and lonely. I hope I never know such a feeling, and I never want you to know such a feeling either. Are you in for real Liv?

Reply

Liv Chocolate
20:01 Nov 26, 2022

Thank you very much, Hamah. I am in for real.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
21:13 Nov 26, 2022

I'm not quite sure I'm even writing this, but you made me feel for a half eaten burger. That must be quite some personification...really very well done on making something so unlikely so moving.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
21:56 Nov 26, 2022

Thank you, Rebecca! Your writing moves me as well. With how old this cheeseburger is, it's probably grown arms and legs and personified itself by now!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
17:15 Dec 02, 2022

Chalking up the shortlists, only a matter of time Liv!😉🤗

Reply

Liv Chocolate
19:59 Dec 03, 2022

Thank you for the encouragement! 💜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.