2 comments

Science Fiction Historical Fiction Fiction

It had been foolish not to destroy it. I had suspected the image, smuggled here from my own timeline, would eventually emerge as my undoing when I slid it between the pages of a herbal volume all those years before. The animated memory recorded forever on a small scrap of holofilm showed a time I had long since released. It simulated Kylin as I had known him, simply turning to greet me with a smile on our first meeting. The most natural of gestures but one I would not see again, for I felt I would never return to the era housing his short lifetime. I had accepted the loss and accustomed myself to my new version of existence, intentionally forgetting the memento and concentrating on the immediacy of a new life, until today, when it’s discovery could be the only explanation for what was playing out in front of my eyes.


It broke my heart to stand vigil over the men destroying all I had built, they ransacked my treasured apothecary, established at the heart of this small medieval village. I recognised many who had previously visited to be healed of minor ailments and others who had brought their wives and children for the same treatment, yet now they ripped it apart with abandon. The word witch seemed to loosen all reason in the people of this time. I was careful not to be seen or heard as tears flowed down my cheeks and onto roots that crisscrossed the edge of the woodland floor, the branches of the same trees sheltering me from discovery. I knew I must leave it all behind. It hurt. The accusation would be enough for these simple folks to convict, despite the proof one man held in his hand. I imagined they would explain it as a trapped soul, imprisoned demon or some other such ignorant invention. Should I face them, I knew I could certainly pass the ridiculous test the villagers would propose; it would be effortless to expel enough air to sink to the bottom of the lake even while constrained. The issue arose that they would not allow me to resurface until I were already drowned, rendering the test absurd, since it would mean an impossible choice between death at the stake or by water inhalation.


My only option was to flee, to abandon the life I had learned to so love. Thankfully, my impaired judgement in retiring the holofilm to where it had chance to be discovered had not also applied to the Chronomec. That, being the only other item in my possession that could reveal me as an abnormality, remained tightly strapped in its permanent home against my inner thigh. No decent man of this century would dare lift the layered skirts of a woman, witch or not, without permission and so it had remained protected for all these years. I had allowed no man so close since I had lost Kylin, opting for an abstinent exile in fear of altering the timeline with any accidental children.


Activating the device was intuitive and after escaping to a clearing in the woodland, where I found a misty rain beginning to dampen the air, I held the Chronomec forward with my finger on the trigger. Simple as the process would be of depressing the small lever and stepping through the emitted time vortex, just I had done on my previous journey, I knew all too well the danger it would present. When I had stolen it from the research department of the university, I had intended only to return a few days prior, to prevent the unexplained disappearance of my beloved and then return the device without discovery. My lack of understanding of the technology meant I had neglected to affix the targeting system, which likely remained in the development office back in 2532 AD. My enlightened pursuit of the sciences had not it seemed instilled any maturity or common sense into my younger self. Now, just as then, when stepping through a portal I would not return home, nor would I have any idea where I would emerge.


Since the choice was between the unknown or death, it should have been an easy one to make. Yet I hesitated. I was not sure if I paused out of fear for my future, regret over the loss of my adopted life here in the dark ages or for a desire to recover the forgotten image. Now that it was truly lost I had a strong desire to recover it once more. It was the only remnant I had left of him. Whichever the reason, my hand trembled. 


The arrow that displaced the air so close to my ear that I heard its passage made the decision for me. I lifted my arm, squeezed my fingers and leapt through the resulting schism in reality without another thought.


I landed on one knee to a scene of desolation. The Chronomec cut only through time, not space, meaning that I would always remain in the same location to which I left, merely at another point during the lifetime of the Earth. Where I had originally departed was nearby for I had not travelled far with the hope that my next jump had the slim chance of landing me back at the university in my own time. I gazed instead at a barren desert of rock and sand. A strong wind buffeted my large skirts with the biting dust and not for the first time was I grateful for the durability of medieval clothing. I scrambled to read the screen on the machine in my hand. 2706 AD. Frighteningly close to my source and yet the landscape was unrecognisable. Less than two hundred years beyond when I was a participating research assistant, I would have thought to still find a thriving education centre. I could now see only aridity and little chance for life.


As I prepped my travel aid for a second jump, not wanting to stay long enough to contemplate the ramifications of what I was seeing, a metal hatch opened from beneath the sand not a hundred metres ahead of me. A figure emerged, clad in layers of cloth, but evidently human. As the stranger began running toward me I rapidly completed the calibrations and meant to exit the era before discovering if they were friend or foe. I had but raised my arm when I heard three panicked words from the approaching resident. 

“Stop! Elia! Please!” 

My name…


I could no longer leave without discovering how this future being could know my identity and so I allowed them to escort me into their refuge. I held the Chronomec ready should I require escape, not thinking of the disaster it would have been to time jump whilst underground. Once disrobed the stranger was revealed to be a young girl. Introduced as Fineya, she was frantic to make me feel at ease and displaying this eagerness in her demeanour only left me further disconcerted. She led me to a small room, served tea of all things and began to speak in earnest. She explained that for 174 years, her and other descendant's of the University staff had waited here, for me. She told me that there were many others living in this bunker, families, children, all existing in a micro civilisation under the earth for the sole purpose of persisting, ready at any point along the future timeline in case I were to appear from where I had left. 


At first I could not fathom why I would be of any importance to these future-dwellers until it dawned on me that I wasn’t. It was the Chronomec they sought. A spike of adrenaline hit me as I felt in immediate danger and my grip tightened on the device in protection. Fineya’s manner hinted at nothing more than friendship and as she continued to elaborate, my guard dropped in trust. She explained fully and without reservation that the equipment I had stolen was one of a kind, the materials used in its construction were the rarest on Earth and a replacement was impossible. The scientists of the time were convinced our world was coming to an end, a climate catastrophe that evidently came to pass and their aim was to use the Chronomec to alter the course of history and avoid the cataclysm. I had apparently instigated the first live test and subsequently lost the Hail Mary to time. Fineya and all other survivors had been protecting the targeting system I absently abandoned and anticipating my return for generations since.


She offered assurance that they would not take the Chronomec from me for two reasons. One was that none of those that still lived had ever experienced life beyond a survival bunker. They had studied history extensively, however were wise enough to understand the difference between knowledge and experience. She admitted that they would be as ineffective as children, lost in a world they did not understand should they make the journey. Far more importantly was the second reason. The destination of this future-alteration task was within my source lifetime and only responsive to my input. No other living person could ensure it came to pass and even if they could, they would pose a paradox, in existing when they should not have ever been born. I questioned the theory; surely I would create the same problem existing alongside my younger self? They answered that my time at the destination would be short and as long as I avoided any interaction with my earlier version, I would avoid any paradox events. The days trials and the confusing meta science induced a weariness in me then. Suffice to say I was too overwhelmed to question further and took their evaluation at face value. They had been preparing for this eventuality for almost two hundred years after all. I listened on and upon hearing the details of my task, felt rejuvenated with hope. I had never believed in fate and had done so even less with the Chronomec as companion but at this point in my life, I felt that I could see the path laid out before me clearly. 


Within a few hours I found myself on the surface holding a complete and targeted Chronomec, ready to depart with instructions for my task. Surrounded by the gathered residents of this century I realised a responsibility I had not considered. I asked Fineya; if I should succeed would they cease to exist? She did not know, but assured me it was a sacrifice they were all prepared to make should it be required to reinstate the world. I lifted my arm, fired and stepped through, before the implications of her words could stop me.


The warm sunlight on my face and soft grass beneath my feet were a joy I had not known I could miss after such a short time without. I relished not only the life surrounding me but the building I had hoped against reason that I might see once again. The university. I looked at the readout and confirmed I had made it. 2532 AD; two days before my original departure. 


My heart was beating at an incredible rate and butterflies were attempting to break free from my stomach as I opened the door to the office containing my target. He looked up at me and smiled the smile I had left pressed between the pages of a book.

“Hey Kylin, apparently there’s somewhere else we need to be.”

July 07, 2024 23:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Kelita Sim
13:40 Jul 19, 2024

Great concept -I feel like this would make a better novel. It needed more detail but with a restricted word count there wasn't as much of this world/characters I could get into as much as I wanted.

Reply

James Scott
22:45 Jul 19, 2024

While editing through I felt the same - it needed longer. Thankyou for the feedback though and for commenting!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.