2 comments

Fantasy Kids

Grayson harshly opened the cellar door letting all the prisoners run into to the woods. “Meet at the the old well!” He screamed to the runaways. He turned to close the door behind him, as he was locking the door he saw shining blue eyes creeping in through the bushes. “Princess?” He took a small step toward the bush. 

“Hello Grayson.” The princess moved around the bush and smiled at him.

“What are you doing here, you should be in bed.” Grayson said.

“So should you.” She stood up straight, the moonlight reflecting off her jewelry almost blinding Grayson. “You’re not gonna get away with this.”

“I will if you keep your mouth shut.” Grayson deepened his voice in an attempt to scare the princess.

“I can’t promise anything.” The princess giggled.

“Please.” Grayson begged. “You know our father’s in the wrong about this. These people don’t deserve to be locked up.” He gestured towards the woods, realizing how far away they probably were by now.

“Yes, I know, I’m just messing with you.” She twisted hair out of her face. “Go chase after your runaways.” Grayson bowed, thanking her and ran off to the old well to meet up with the escaped prisoners.



  ————


As soon as Grayson arrived he counted everyone and began rationing the food. He peeped his head into the well, “Do you think there’s drinkable water in there?” He asked himself, shifting his eyes to the already devastating low amount of water. He looked down, sticking his torch in the well, he still couldn’t see the bottom. All he could see was the mossy stone walls about ten feet down, after that he could only see darkness. He stuck his torch down further, “It seems moist down there, I think there might be water” he thought. He looked at the moss on the walls of the well. The closer he looked the more it seemed like it was moving. He reached his other hand in to touch it, precariously keeping his foot under a vine to keep it from falling in. Suddenly a strand of wet moss grabbed Grayson by the wrist, Grayson tried to pull against it, calling for the prisoners to help him. His foot under the vine, the only thing keeping him from falling in, was slipping out of his shoe. One of the prisoners, an old man, tried grabbing him by his belt before he finally fell in. His belt slipped off just like his shoe and Grayson was pulled into the darkness.

Grayson woke up, unsurprisingly with a pounding head-ache. He shifted his body around and tried to gather in his surroundings, and realizing he had landed at the bottom of the well. The ground was wet and sliming, kind of like a swamp and the walls at the bottom were no longer made of mossy stone just dirt. ‘Clearly not a functioning well any more’Grayson thought. Grayson looked up, seeing the beautiful night sky and he could almost see the outline of people’s heads looking down at him, although he doubted they could see him. Slowly some of the moss started to gather, quite gracefully it began to form into a human like figure. Grayson jumped up and pushed himself up against the wall. He reached for his knife, then realizing his belt was gone, he darted his eyes side to side, looking for his torch, or at the very least a stick. The moss had finished forming into an almost human, a very green, tall human, but it seemed to a face a nose, mouth and even eyes. It opened his mouth. “What are you doing in my well.” It said, it’s voice echoing off the walls.

“You pulled me in here.” Grayson said, staggering and confused.

“Oh, right.” It said it’s voice said still booming in Grayson’s ears. “Well, you were burning my moss, with your touch.”

“I’m so sorry, I didn’t meant hurt you.” Grayson moved closer to the moss monster. “I just wanted to see if there was any water left in this well. I’m leading almost fifty refugees to the kingdom on the other side of the lake.”

“Refugees?” The moss monster scratched his head, his finger almost going through, where a human would have a skull.

“Yeah, the king, King Theodore, arrested this group of civilians for meerly practice a different religion. He’s a an unlawful tyrant. I broke them out at least I’m trying to.” Grayson began to explain. “The kingdom just two towns over accepts everyone, and I’m, was trying to bring them there.”

“That’s very noble of you.” It said while shrinking and it’s voice, echoing less and getting quieter. “I’m sorry I attacked you.” The moss started to fall away. “I don't get many visitors.”

“I’m sorry I burnt you.” Grayson apologized, more relaxed now.

“Most people who poke around my well are looking for my magic.” All the moss had fallen away revealing a small boy, not much younger than Grayson. He was wearing nothing more that a robe going down to his ankles and wrists. His hair a dark brown, matted and long, stopping at his shoulders. His face, skin and clothes were covered in dirt and moss. His face was covered by his ratty hair, but Grayson could still see his lime green eyes peeping in though his it.

“Your magic, are you human, a wizard?” Grayson eyes glowed with curiosity. For as long as Grayson could remember he loved and was fascinated by magic. 

“I’m human.” The boy started to back away now scared. “But my parents were cursed, it’s a long story.” He shrugged.

“Do you have a name?” Grayson asked as calmly as possibly when he realized he was scaring the boy.

“Wilson.” He smiled an little, moving some of his hair out of his face.

“Your name’s Wilson and you live in a well.” Grayson smirked, trying to stop himself from laughing.

“Ha ha.” Wilson said sarcastically, putting his hand on his hips. “It’s not that funny,” Grayson continued laughing, “What’s your name then?”

“Grayson.” He said kind of proudly.

“Well, well...” Wilson stammered, “Your name sounds like bad weather, like the sun is grey.”

“Good one.” Grayson rolled his eyes.

“Or like you’re the son of the most boring colour in the world.” Wilson stuck his chest in the air.

“Yeah, okay you got it.” Grayson rolled his eyes again.

“Yeah, I did get it.” Wilson began to laugh and soon Grayson began to laugh with him. Soon they both on the ground laughing at all the silly names they’ve heard. 

“Once I met a guy actually called Nimrod.” Grayson began catching his breath his stood up. “Is there any way you can your magic to get me back up there.” He dusted himself, “They’re probably worried and I need to get some sleep, we need to leave early to make sure the king doesn’t find us.”

“I actually have something that might help you.” Wilson stood up too. “But you have to promise not to abuse it or tell anyone.”

“I promise.” He held out his hand.

“‘Cause if you break this promise I can curse you forever.” He moved the moss around him to form scary ominous hands luring over Grayson.

“Um.” Grayson flinched and then almost fell on to the ground. 

“I’m just joking, you should see you face.” Grayson let out a sigh of relief. “But seriously don't tell anyone.”

“Don’t worry you can trust me.” Grayson assured. Wilson cautiously walked to the edge of the well and pushed on a rock. The mud and dirt moved out of the way to form a doorway, Wilson gestured to the hole in the wall. “It’s a pathway leading to all towns and kingdoms for hundreds of miles.”

“Wow!” Grayson rushed and hugged Wilson, then pulled away now realizing he was covered in slime. “Thank you.” He said brushing goop off his jacket. Suddenly, he heard a scream, a woman was falling down the well. Wilson hastily turned moss into a pillow like pad to save her. 

“What happened?” Asked Grayson as he helped the woman pm to her feet.

“The king found us and he’s throwing us down the well if we resist.” The woman said, still trembling.

“The princess must have turned on me.” Grayson concluded under his breath.

“She was leading the raid.” Said the woman, over hearing.

“I can moss monster up and take all the refugees into the the well and lead them all the safety.” Wilson suggested taking a superhero pose.

“Plus you’ll probably give the king a good scare.” Grayson added smiling. Wilson, as quickly as he could, gathered all the moss around him and carried out the plan. One by one and then two by two, three by three and so on as many as he could carry at once, Wilson brought down the refugees. Grayson counted them all as they entered the tunnels, as Wilson scared away the soldiers. The refugees and Grayson escaped, only with the help of his new best friend Wilson.

August 29, 2020 01:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

. .
05:36 Sep 01, 2020

So detailed! I love it

Reply

J.P. Gans
11:26 Sep 01, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.