1 comment

Fiction Speculative

In a Nutshell

By DannyG

“The nutshell closes then finally cries………” He closed his mouth slowly, licking his lips, searching for moisture.

I wasn’t sure what to do now.  The air was warm and sour, yeasty. If I didn’t have to breathe it, I probably wouldn’t have. “What’s that about then?”

             The man wiped the corners of his lips, his long grey hair in a not-so-tidy bun. “I’m not sure. Can’t really gather it up for you. Get it yourself.”

             I swallowed and followed his movements. 

             The room was dim, lit by a single bulb swinging gently from a frayed wire overhead. The light cast long shadows against the peeling wallpaper, the pattern of which had long faded into obscurity. The man, a figure of tangled hair and lines etched deep into his face, moved with a peculiar grace. His eyes, a piercing shade of gray, never left mine as he spoke again, his voice a low, gravelly whisper that seemed to crawl its way through the thick air. “You see, it's all about the essence of things. The core, the heart, the... nucleus if you will. That's where the truth lies. In nuts, in people, in the universe itself.” He shook his head. “There, I’ve broken the rule myself.”

             I shifted uncomfortably, the uneven wooden floor creaking under me. I tried to focus on his words, to understand the meaning behind the allegory he presented, but my mind kept drifting, so I nodded, not entirely convinced. The silence that followed was heavy, with faint, distant sounds that didn't seem to belong to the world outside. I noticed the books then, piled haphazardly in corners, their spines cracked and covers faded. They seemed as old as the man, if not older, and I wondered what secrets they held.

“Do you read?” I ventured, gesturing toward the stacks. He followed my gaze, a softness entering his eyes.

 “Every day. Each book is a world, a life.”

             I stared at the stack. There were no names or titles, just numbers. “Why am I here?” I asked, my heart starting to race.

He stood.  “Because you have a story to tell, one that needs to be heard. And I, I am here to listen, to guide, to help you find the core of it. But” he paused, his gaze intense, “it requires something of you. A trade, a sacrifice. The essence for the essence.”

As I spoke, the room seemed to change, the walls receding, the light softening. The man's face was kind, his eyes filled with an understanding that reached deep into my soul. And I realized that this was it, this was mercy - the chance to be heard, to be understood, to find the essence of my own story. 

HIs words, though cryptic, began to weave an invisible thread around my heart. I felt a pull, a yearning to understand, to dive into the depths of what he spoke of. He moved closer, and his presence seemed to fill the room, a force of nature as tangible as the air I breathed.

"Your story," he continued, "is not just words. It's life, it's pain, it's joy and sorrow. It's the shadows and the light. To tell it, you must be willing to face it all, to embrace the entirety of your existence."

I swallowed hard, the weight of his words pressing down on me. My story was one I'd tucked away, hidden beneath layers of denial and pretense. But here, in this room, with this man, it seemed as if those layers were peeling away, revealing a raw, unvarnished truth.

I nodded, a silent agreement to his unspoken terms. He extended a hand, gnarled and lined, yet warm and steady. I took it, and as our hands met, a rush of images flooded my mind. I saw my life, my real life, not the one I presented to the world. The triumphs and the failures, the love and the loss, the moments of sheer beauty and those of utter despair.

He guided me to a chair, and I sat, the books around me like silent witnesses to this sacred act. He pulled a single volume from the stack, its number gleaming in the dim light. "This one," he said, "is where you begin."

As he opened the book, the pages blank and waiting, I understood. This was more than a trade, more than a sacrifice. It was an offering, a chance to reconcile with every part of myself, to weave the disparate threads of my life into a coherent, honest narrative.

I began to speak, my voice trembling at first, then growing stronger. The man listened, his eyes never leaving mine, his presence a steady anchor in the storm of emotions that swept through me. As I spoke, the pages filled, the words flowing like a river, sometimes meandering, sometimes rushing, but always moving forward. Hours seemed to pass as I talked, the words flowing more freely than I ever thought possible. When I finally fell silent, the tears streaming down my face, there was a sense of lightness, as if a burden I had long carried was now lifted.

He simply said, “Right then.”  The room was silent, the weight of my story hanging in the air like a tangible thing. The man closed the book and placed it back on the stack. He looked at me, his eyes soft, and in them, I saw not just my reflection, but the reflection of every person who had ever told their story, who had ever dared to face their essence. I found a newfound peace, a sense of belonging to a larger narrative, one that encompassed all the joys, sorrows, and complexities of life. It was a feeling of mercy, in its truest form.

"Thank you," I whispered, the words inadequate but heartfelt.

He nodded, a gesture of respect and understanding.

             “The nutshell closes then finally cries…” he declares, almost a mumble.  “Too many summaries have I”, and then dies.”

             “What?”, I think I managed to say before the axe in his grip glittered with abrupt movement and fresh enlightenment.

December 29, 2023 02:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

David McCahan
13:39 Jan 04, 2024

An unexpected ending to a very intriguing tale. Enjoyed it very much. One observation, you use the term “seemed” often. I was once told that it’s stronger to avoid tentative words like that. “His presence seemed to fill the room” would be even stronger as “his presence filled the room”. Very compelling read, though. Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.