THE LOCKED DOOR

Written in response to: Write a story titled ‘The Locked Door.’... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Drama

(This story is set in the newly discovered planet Tellus which is Earth’s twin, about 800 years behind, still evolving)

CAPTAIN SPEAKS:

I am from a family of fisher folk and used to go to sea since I was very young. As I grew up there were family problems and I decided to quit home. I came into contact with a crew of a ship and through him became a sailor. Over the years I went on many voyages and made a lot of money. I am now 40 and have decided to quit going to sea. In fact I plan to settle far inland where people who on sighting  an oar might ask what it was!

I chose this place to settle in after many inquiries. Putting up at an inn I sought to buy a spacious house.  A broker approached me and said “There’s a big house for sale. It is old but is in very good condition. The man who owns it is a Trader in certain commodities.”

I said “I want to inspect the property.”

“I’ll arrange it after speaking to the trader.”

TRADER SAYS:

The broker brought the captain to see the house. I found the prospective buyer  to be a very decent person. I showed him around.  

I said “This house was solidly built by my late father with massive pillars of wood.” We had then come to a room which had a locked door. I said “I’ll tell you later about this room which was my father’s .”

Captain seemed satisfied with the house and settled the deal after which the broker left,

Captain said “You still haven’t shown me one of the rooms.”

I said “It’s a large room with two windows . Both windows have been boarded up since father died. It has also been locked up for his ghost. I’ll assure you it’s in good shape as it has been unused since long. I’ll pay for repairs if necessary later on.”

“What you’re saying is strange indeed. Tell me about your father‘s ghost.”

I said “To answer you I need to give you some background information.  My father was a jeweller. He was honest and trustworthy and many people of this land including the king were his patrons.”

I paused and asked “Have you heard of the Maze diamond?”

“Yes. I’ve been told it was large and very valuable.”

“The Maze was secretly offered for sale to my dad by someone. Some say it was offered by a pirate. Father didn’t speak a word about it to anyone at home but only consulted the witch in his employ. She forecast that it would bring death and advised him not to buy it. But he did purchase it and the witch’s forecast was fulfilled.”

Captain asked “What happened?”

“Shortly after he had bought the Maze diamond my father died. It was said he had been murdered. His ghost started visiting. As advised by the witch, I locked up his room.”

“I’m still trying to understand what you’re saying about the locked door.”

“We believe that the dead who are murdered return as ghosts to spend the rest of their originally destined lives. The witch said that if the room was barricaded father’s ghost would understand the message and stay within his haunt and not trespass into other areas possibly frightening others. That’s the story of the locked door.”

“Was your father really murdered?”

I shrugged and said “Could be for the Maze. But it wasn’t with father after his passing. Nothing is known about it.”

CAPTAIN SAYS:

I was truly surprised to hear what Trader had said about the locked door. However after moving in I kept that door locked. I am now determined to marry and there are a couple of suitable women from whom I could choose.  I consulted the witch but she said “The time isn’t auspicious for marriage. Please wait a little longer.”

A few weeks later I heard a rumour: A certain female had claimed she could be a medium to talk to the dead. It seems she was tested in a suspected murder case: She had talked to a dead man’s spirit to learn that he had been killed by a thunderbolt and hadn’t been murdered.

I summoned the medium home and said I would defray expenses if she would talk to the spirit of the dead jeweller. The woman wanted details which I provided swearing her to confidentiality. Then she said “My talks with spirits will be very brief. I would’ve to frame questions which would have direct answers. Otherwise the spirits may not respond. Spirits may also avoid answering certain questions. There’re also cases where I’ve failed to contact spirits. I don’t guarantee results.”

We discussed further and she agreed to talk to the jeweller’s spirit in my house. I gave her an advance so that she could get ready with needed supplies.

She said “I usually prefer the stillness at witching hour which is midnight for contacting spirits.”  She thought a little and added “People prefer a member of the judiciary to be present while I contact the dead.”

I said “I’m not looking to get justice done. I’m only seeking the truth: In particular about the Maze.”

She said “Whatever you say. What’re the questions to which you’re seeking answers?”

We discussed a little and came up with 4 questions: Who murdered you? Why? Where is the Maze? Can we open the locked door?

She was ready in a matter of a week. A big fire had been lit near the locked door. Around midnight I was there. So was my stepmother -  my father’s first wife. My mother had passed on a couple of years back. The medium arrived carrying a bag and sat in front of the fire.

She spoke to us: ”I’ll be talking to the spirit shortly. I’ll loudly question it . The spirit will only whisper the response to me. I’ll announce whatever it says for you to hear.”

She started her mumbo jumbo and threw some powders into the fire. It erupted high and I was worried lest it completely burnt down the house. Luckily the level of the fire came down.

We heard medium looking into the fire and saying “Spirit, you’ve come. I’m the medium.”

She asked loudly “Who murdered you?”

She announced loudly “My first wife poisoned me.”

She asked “Why?”

She announced “She wanted the Maze.”

She asked “Where is it now?”

There was no answer. Question repeated. Again no answer,

She asked “Can we open the locked door?”

There was silence. She prompted and then announced “You may.”

That was the end of the séance. The locked door was immediately opened after years.

I paid what was due to the medium thanking her for her service. I resolved to ask my step-mother about Maze. But she had silently slipped away from the séance. Next day her body was found in a well.  I was a bit disappointed at getting no news about the Maze. To change my mood I sought the witch about finding a woman to marry. She approved and also gave me a list to choose from. I am at it!

END

January 27, 2022 03:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.