29 comments

Sad Suspense

This story contains sensitive content

So, um, I have a few things to say before the story begins:

  1. I don't really know a lot about Spanish as a language or even the Hispanic people, so if I am wrong somewhere, don't take offence to that, and please correct me.
  2. It doesn't really have any 'TRIGGERING CONTENT', but there is mention of DEATH. So read at your own discretion.
  3. This story's idea came to me long before this contest, but coinceidently, it does kind of match this prompt. So, this is a story based on the Reedsy's judge's name, someone called LISSA ROSE.



----------------------------------------------------------------


Every year on my birthday, I found a gift on my doorstep. No matter where I was, no matter what I was doing. There HAD to be a gift on my doorstep. This had been our family tradition since as long as I could remember. My mama got a gift whenever it was her birthday. So did papa and sis Lisa. 


We all knew whom it was from. Abuela. 


She did not live with us. She didn't live with any of her kids. She preferred the solitude. But every year, without fail, she sent us gifts on birthdays, anniversaries or an other occassions that were special. Not just us, she sent gifts to Tia Rose's family, and to Tio Robert's family too.  


And mind you, they weren't mere store-brought gifts with 'Lots of Love', they were actual gifts. Each one of us got different gifts each year, made with love. Yes, MADE.


Abuela loved making stuff. To spend her free time, she made gifts for us, keeping our tastes in mind, and sent us on special days. I always wanted to learn how she made them, but never got the time. 


This year, I had got a blue box, which was filled with goody bags, all from my favourite brands. The box itself was beautiful. That night, like all other birthday nights, I had kept the box inside my cupboard, in the far corner, for a rainy day. Literally, whenever I felt sad, Abuela's gifts were the one thing that could cheer me up.


-----


Abuela.


She was the one constant in my life. When I was figuring out what to do, what to study, she helped me get through that. She helped to get myself back on track and get going on ahead.


Her gifts were the one thing that I will never forget. She made such beautiful, intricate and amazing designs. I don't know where she got the imagination from. She was so old and wrinkly, I don't think so she could use the internet, or sites like Pinterest and Google. Her work was mind-boggling.


I remember the smile on my face, that feeling when I saw her gift the second I opened my doorstep. That was the one thing I looked most forward to each year.


I know that I didn't see her that much, even though all of us live in the same city. I was always busy with something or the other, but whenever I did go to see her, she was there, waiting.



-----


Esmerelda, or as you all may call her, 'Abuela' was the best mother someone could ever hope for. She provided me, Robert and Rose with the best life possible. I still remember us, kids, just wandering all over the park and mama was running all over the place, looking for us. Then she'd take us home and we'd all have dinner. I can still taste her churros. So delicious! 


I remember whenever Rose and I fought over anything, mama would come over and help us sort it out. This necklace, she gave it to me on my eighteenth birthday. And those twin bracelets that Rose and I have? Those were a part of my mom's elaborate treasure hunt game surprise for us when we passed high school. I often think of those days.


And yes! What everyone has been saying is true. My mom did make amazing gifts. I mean, only she was the one who could remember your birthday and remember your preferences. She was really an artist. I bet if she could only persue her dreams....Oh I can't do it anymore....mama! I miss you mama! I-I-I can't speak anymore.



-----



Abuela loved all of us. I loved her. I can't believe she's gone. I-I was yet to thank her for the gift she sent me last week on 

my birthday. I don't think I ever thanked her enough.


Whenever I was feeling low, she would talk to me, or rather, listen and give me advice. She'd always be there for all of us. I can't believe that when she was breathing her last, none of us were with her. I just regret this now. 



-----


Me l-love A-Abula-Abuela Essy! Where she? 



-----



Abby Essy was like, the coolest person alive, like forever. Well, like, dead now. She was so cool, ice was like, jealous of her. She told me stories when I was like, like, five or something. She was like, so old, but she could deal with anything with the energy of like, a baby, like Izzy right here. 


-----


I remember Abuela's gift to me last year. I was in Mexico, studying and guess what? The morning of my birthday, I found the gift on my doorstep, as if I was back home. 


She gave me a beautiful fridge magnet. She knew I was looking for a house and that'd be perfect for me. Over my summer breaks, I loved to spend time with her and take care of her. She was the best person to be with.



-----


Thank you for all of you for being here and sharing your memories of Esmerelda with us. May her soul rest in peace. 



----- A MONTH LATER -----



Izzy, my beautiful birthday girl! Get down here right now! T-There's something for you here. 



-----


What is it mom? Oh my! Is that a GIFT on the doorstep? But Abby Essy.....she's she's she's no more, right? Who is it? Mommy, are you messing with me? No? You're as confused as I am? That's crazy.


----- A FEW DAYS LATER -----


Rose, I am telling you sis, this morning I woke up and saw a gift on my doorstep and I can feel it. It's mama's. She has made it. Ask Robert. Izzy received her gift just last week. I am telling you Rose, something is wrong here.


J-Just, you know what? Let's have a family get-together and discuss this. Maybe next Sunday? Till then your birthday would have also gone by. We'll see what happens on the fifteenth. 


Right, yes, I'll call Robert. 


Yes, mama's place. Sure...Bye!


April 13, 2022 17:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

29 comments

TJ Squared
02:50 Apr 20, 2022

Nice story, DJ! I was a bit confused with the lines being transitions, but other than that, neat job :D

Reply

Dhwani Jain
08:47 Apr 20, 2022

I wanted to create that confusion.... Thanks for reading

Reply

TJ Squared
09:32 Apr 20, 2022

gotcha. ofc :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hey Dhwani! ------------------- Do you read the prologue of a book? A Yes, every time B No, never C Sometimes/It depends Note: I am copy-and-pasting this to multiple people. -------------------

Reply

Dhwani Jain
10:38 Apr 17, 2022

Hey!! Yeah, I do, most of the times. So k am going to go with C

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
10:58 Apr 18, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Dhwani Jain
11:33 Apr 18, 2022

Merci..... =D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
12:46 Apr 18, 2022

Si!!! What would be the title of our story's first part?

Reply

Unknown User
19:38 Apr 18, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Dhwani Jain
01:51 Apr 19, 2022

You didn't.... We'll, what about WORST DAY @ SCHOOL Also, you gotta update your part on the doc

Reply

Unknown User
04:47 Apr 19, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Dhwani Jain
09:18 Apr 19, 2022

Yeah....that sounds good.....I'll post it on my Reedsy Account soon. Do the same on yours too. I mean that you have to continue the story. It's Lee's POV rn.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Unknown User
17:36 Apr 13, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Dhwani Jain
17:38 Apr 13, 2022

You're a pretty fast reader, Abi! Thanks, I was inspired by Encanto, and a bunch of other Hispanic movies/shows that I have seen. XD

Reply

Unknown User
17:39 Apr 13, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Dhwani Jain
17:40 Apr 13, 2022

XXD Yeah, same difference, I think? Yeah, I really like the words Abuela and Tio..... You're HISPANIC?!?! Also, is 'mama' good for mom here?

Reply

Unknown User
17:43 Apr 13, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Dhwani Jain
17:44 Apr 13, 2022

XXXD That's funny! nOice....I might change that, I might not. i am lazy. XD NOw I think Imma sleep, its 2313....Good night! See ya' later! Question: Have you been to/wanna come to India?

Reply

Show 1 reply
14:47 Apr 19, 2022

technically, it's "mama" because "mami" is more flirtatious. "To say 'mom' in Spanish, you could use the colloquial term 'mamá' or the more formal term 'madre,' which means 'mother.' In the same way that an English-speaker might call their lover 'baby' or 'honey,' you could use 'mami' as a flirtatious way to say 'momma.' "(wikiHow)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.