0 comments

American

Madison was a fighter even from birth and through it all; her mother was always there by her side. "Mom, there's something wrong because I am hurting so bad and there is so much blood when I go to the bathroom." Her dad; like always just brushed it off and said that it was nothing but her mother knew something was wrong.

"I am going to take off from work tomorrow and take Madison to the emergency room because there is something really wrong", but Madison's dad being the control freak said," No you go to work and I will take her". Madison's mom shot Madison a familiar that said he better because if he doesn't I will.

The next morning, as Lisa struggled to to stay focused at work because deep down she knew that this was going to be the beginning of a long journey. Then the phone wrong rang and she could here the urgency in her husband's voice, "You need to come to the hospital because Madison needs you". Normally on a good day the trip was 15 minutes but that morning it took 7 minutes to the hospital.

There on the bed was Madison; pale and weak. She was so frail and scared. Tears streamed down her face and Lisa's heart broke. "Madison, please don't cry;Sweet Girl. I promise that I will be with you every step of the way and I will make sure that you get the best medical care that money can buy". As Lisa struggled to comfort her daughter and trying to hide her fears; she wanted answers. "Where's the doctor? What tests have they done? Can they give her anything to make her comfortable?"

It all unfolded so quickly, all the blood transfusions, the tests, the admission/release from the hospitals. The guessing games as to what might be going on with Madison but one thing was certain; Madison could not continue on the path that she had been for months. The final straw came one night when Madison was rushed to the Children's Hospital and again, they were offering a blood transfusion. Lisa had been in the medical field for many years and in her mind; new that the blood transfusions were like a patch, just temporary and hard decisions had to be made.

" I want to speak with her doctor", Lisa told the nurse and as the nurse dialed the number; Lisa began to pray. "Dear Lord, all my life I have followed you and believed in you. I believe that this is another test of my faith in you and I pray that I am making the right decision because she is the air that I breath. Please heal my daughter."

It seemed like forever but finally the nurse came into the room and handed Lisa the phone. All eye were on her and she knew that the words that was going to speak would be the hardest up until this point in her life. "Hi, this Madison's mom. I know that her health is fading and the transfusions just aren't working. Heck even the Remicade has not helped and I feel that if I choose not to give permission; I fear that we may lose her". Lisa could see the fear in Madison's eyes and then without hesitation," I have to put this situation in God's hands and I am giving you permission to operate as soon as possible".

There were so many unknown's and there was no guarantee that the surgery would work but at least it was as start. That night was one of the longest nights for all parties because there was so much to do and very little time to get things done in. The surgery was going to be 8 hours and Lisa prayed that God would be with Madison and her team of doctors.

The waiting room within itself was depressing but everyone had someone that they were worried about. Lisa's father in law had came to offer support but there was no comforting Lisa. She resented her husband for always brushing it off and refusing to believe that there was anything wrong with their daughter. So many fights and the wedge growing deeper by the minute.

The night before the surgery they had argued and Lisa told her husband, "Well if you had done your job as a parent and got her medical attention when this first started maybe she wouldn't have had to have this surgery! If you had just taken her seriously and stop acting like you know everything; maybe she wouldn't be here in surgery but you had to have it your way! Your way almost caused her to die." There it was; the bitter truth! Lisa blamed him and resented him for his lack of concern.

Nothing would ever be the same after that day. Madison came home with no colon or large intestine but in there place was an ostomy bag. Lisa hovered over her daughter in the days, weeks and months that came. No more transfusions and no more wondering what was wrong. They knew and thankfully the outcome was far better than they ever could have hoped for. Madison only 15 years old, not only accepted having an ostomy but she also used it as a tool to assist other kids that were struggling with Colitis and Chron's.

Madison had a severe case of Colitis and just like with everything else in her life; she bravely faced it and never gave up. Eventually; Madison was able to go through a reconnection and it took. She was scared to think about her J pouch not working and if it didn't she was prepared to have a permanent ostomy bag. Thankfully after 1 1/2 years of struggle the bag was gone and Madison recovered. Unfortunately her parents didn't. They divorced the following year because it was struggling before Madison got sick but it was just too much for their marriage to with stand.

April 11, 2021 23:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.