0 comments

General

Christy

I sat by the window looking out over the city. The great city of Candolf stared back at me, mocking me with visions of freedom and excitement. I looked at children playing at the park. Students toured the museums and gardens. They looked happy. They were healthy. Unlike me. Unlike the teenage girl stuck inside because her heart was so weak. They said I’m getting stronger and I’m close to a full recovery, but I think they killed me the day they put in the pacemaker.

I’d stared out my window long enough to know that snow is coming. The clouds spoke to me and whispered about their plans for my city. They had shown me their vision of a blanket covering the streets. They want to see the kids come together to make a soldier of snow, smiling brightly against the cold breeze. They want to make me miserable, reaching out to touch the snow knowing I could never hold it in my hands. I watched my breath crystalize on the window as the cold front swept over Candolf, prepping its people for the first snowfall. But the clouds couldn’t have warned me what was coming next.

The next thing I knew I was driving to the hospital. It wasn’t like I had never done this before, but for some reason, I felt something was different. I just didn’t realize how different. When we walked into my appointment, everyone was smiling. My mom, the doctor, even the nurse had a grin! “What’s wrong?” I asked, stroking through my chestnut hair nervously. 

“Well, that’s just it. Nothing.” The doctor responded. My face went sour. If nothing was wrong, why was I here? “You’re officially recovered. You’re here to get your pacemaker taken out and start living on your own!”

This is good news. I thought to myself. Then why am I so scared? After I woke up, I felt weird. Not a bad weird, but there was a strange sensation that I couldn’t quite put into words. Maybe it was the sedatives, but I definitely felt different. Like I suspected, I was given precautions and exercises to ensure my heart would heal “strong and healthy” as the doctors put it. As I walked out of the hospital that day, I couldn’t help feeling like I had newfound freedom.


Carter

“Who are you gonna’ ask to the dance?” Liam asked me as he nudged me in the ribs. Avoiding the question, I turned down the hallway so I “wouldn’t be late for class.” As I raced down the hallway, I could hear him mumble something like “That never bothered you before.”

Sitting in the safety of geography, I began to look around trying to answer the question for myself. Audrey was definitely a guy’s first choice. She had suntanned skin and wavy brown hair that waterfalled over her shoulders. Lindsey was pretty quiet but had a great sense of humor. Of course, I could ask some nerdy girl to make her day. Who am I kidding? It would make her junior year!

When I turned around to inspect my options, I noticed the girl sitting in the back corner. The more I thought about it, she wasn’t in any clubs that I knew of and I was pretty sure she wasn’t always at school. Her face was mostly covered with her straight brown hair and glasses, but even then I could tell she was beautiful. Maybe I could get her attention somehow to see if she was worth taking. Then I could get the boys off my back!

As I walked outside for lacrosse practice, I noticed the same girl sitting on a bench, reading some book. I was a little early for practice, so I decided to talk to her.

“What’s up?” I asked her, flashing my charming smile. She peeked up from her book, giving me a look that said, why are you talking to me?

“Um... Hi.” Was all she said in return. She obviously didn’t know how lucky she was for someone like me to be talking to her. “Can I help you?” She asked, setting her book down onto her lap.

“I’m Carter.”

“Christy.” I sat down next to her as we shook hands. Desperate for some conversation, I asked her what she was reading. “I’m reading the Odyssey for my college credit literary course.” Well, she was definitely smart.

“Do you have a date for the dance?” She rolled her eyes at the question.

“I have more important things to worry about.” She answered.

“Like what?” I retorted.

“I’ll find something.” She snapped. “Besides, a snowfall is coming. I should get going home. Nice meeting you Carter.” Then just like that, she walked away, leaving me, Carter Williamson, date-less and cold.


Christy

“Well, that wasn’t awkward at all.” I thought to myself as I left the poor boy stranded at the bench I was sitting at. If he hadn’t been desperate for a date, I might have even thought he was cute. He had brown hair (much darker than mine) and a smile I could have sworn twinkled in the sun. I rolled my eyes at the gesture. I did have more important things to worry about. Like exploring my freedom in the coming snow. 

Sure enough, the snow started that night. It didn’t stick on the ground yet, but I had a hunch the city would be covered by morning. I changed into something more comfortable and sat on the couch to try and make it through what I was reading. For some reason, I couldn’t quite focus. Not only was I baffled that someone like Carter would talk to me, but I was also fairly certain I had enjoyed our conversation. The more I thought about it, I realized I had been a little rude. Okay, a lot rude. I left him in the cold with a hurt pride so I could come home and read my book.

The next morning, I dressed warmly. I also prepared for an awkward apology to the cute boy who almost-kind of-maybe asked me out. I had ear muffs, a rose beanie, and a sweatshirt. The school wasn’t too far, so I would probably be fine with what I had.

Dead. Wrong. It was absolutely bone-chilling outside! Every step I took, more snow seeped between my pants and shoes, soaking my ankles and feet. Snowflakes littered my hair, and I had to shake off like a dog before stepping inside. The janitor was trying to mop up to melted snow in the entry, but gave up and left a sign that said Caution! Wet Floor. No kidding. I had almost made it to my locker when I saw the boy I was looking for.

“Carter!” I was so surprised I slipped. How embarrassing! Except, I wasn’t on the floor. Carter had caught me. I felt my cheeks light on fire as I stood up. I suddenly found my shoes very interesting. 

“Look who it is! The bookworm.” I had to resist a very hefty eye roll. 

“If it isn’t wonderboy,” I replied. His new nickname seemed to please him and he gave one of those stupid smiles that made me speechless. Why was I talking to him? Right. I was a jerk. “I wanted to apologize for yesterday. I was pretty rude. I want to make it up to you.”

“I have just the idea. Will you go to the dance with me?” Whoa. Not what I was expecting. This boy could have any girl in the school on his arm in a moment, and he just asked me to the dance? “Well?” He asked after my silence. My eyes darted up to meet his.

“Sure. That would be great.” I said and composed myself. I wasn’t boy crazy, and I didn’t plan on starting now. I handed him my phone and added, “Put in your number and I’ll text you my address.”

“Sounds good bookworm.” He grinned at me and walked away. I looked down at my contacts. Where it said name, it was replaced with Wonderboy. I rolled my eyes. What a jock!


Carter

“I have a date.” I punched Liam in the arm playfully when I told him. 

“Who?” He asked. I know he got rejected by Audrey, and that had been a blow. He asked some flirty girl to go with him instead. 

“Christy,” I replied and began walking away. 

“Who?” I heard him say behind me. I sat down in my first-period class and looked down at my phone after the teacher walked past me. I had a text with Christy’s address and a note that said: “I hope Wonderboy is punctual.” I replied by saying “It’s all part of perfection.” She the rolling eye emoji. Smart and sassy.


Christy

My mom went berserk getting ready the night of the dance. My Aunt Mylo let me borrow a dress and my mom did my hair. I told her it wasn’t a big deal and I was probably his last resort. She kept saying it was about time I get out and do something fun.

He picked me up 10 minutes late, probably to spite me. I smiled when I saw his hair. It was slicked down and… neat. It did not look like the same boy who caught me in the hallway. When I got my mom to stop smothering us, I mussed his hair into a more natural look. His eyes twinkled at me when I told him I thought he looked better that way. His car was nice. Really nice.

“Is this your car?” I asked.

“It’s my dad’s. He said I could borrow it for the dance.”

“Well don’t I feel special! Even though I was probably your last resort for a date.” I mumbled the last part under my breath. I think he heard it because he looked at me when we were at a red light.

“You are special Christy.” I smiled and kept telling myself he said stuff like that to all the girls. I convinced myself that he was just an annoying jock and I only agreed because I felt guilty about hurting his feelings when we first met. 

He had plenty of annoying friends. Yet another reason for me not to like him. They all kept nudging him in the shoulders and whispering things in his ear. His attention seemed pretty divided until the dancing started. It took me a while, but I finally started to relax and have fun. Then the slow dances began. Carter took me in his arms and began to dance with expertise. 

“Wonderboy dances too?” I asked him.

“I have sisters.” He shrugged. We fell into a slow pattern and I was leaning on his shoulder as we swayed. Something about it made my heart flutter. It was really fluttering. Like painfully. I groaned and pulled away from him, clutching my chest. Then I collapsed on the gym floor. I don’t think Carter caught me that time.


Carter

“Can you tell me more about what happened?” The nurse stared into my soul like if he stared hard enough he could get more out of me.

“I don’t know! We were at the dance… dancing. Then she pulled away with her hand on her heart and collapsed.” That’s when I picked her up and called 911. The hospital was down the street, so I drove her there myself. She still hadn’t woken up. “What’s wrong?” The nurse sighed. Then Christy’s mom filled me in.

“Christy just had her pacemaker removed a few weeks ago. We thought she was getting stronger, but I guess the stress was too much for her. Her heart is still too weak.” With that, the nurse walked away.

“She’s awake now.” Someone called from Christy’s room. “You can come see her.” I watched from the door as Christy’s family fawned over her. She kept telling them she was fine. I had to keep telling myself that too. The fear that struck me when she fell was almost too much to bear. I thought she might die. I didn’t know the specifics of her condition, but she seemed okay for the moment. When I got closer I could see the blood was drained from her face and her chestnut hair looked unnatural against her pale skin. The nurses informed her of her...accident, and she swore she could never go back to school again.

“Can I talk to you for a minute?” It took me a second to realize Christy was talking to me.

“Yeah. Sure.” I tried to keep my cool as her family members walked out, leaving us alone for a minute. “You scared me you know,” I told her. I sat down and fidgeted with my fingers while I waited for her to say something.

“I’m sorry.” She whispered. “I know I can be a handful.” She chuckled half-heartedly at the last part.

“It’s not like that,” I assured her. “I’m just glad you’re okay.” She smiled. And with that, I took her hand and we stared out the hospital window, watching as the snow blanketed Candolf with frosted flakes and new beginnings.



January 08, 2020 21:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.