The Last People on Earth

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic story triggered by climate change.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Kids

It was winter, and it was snowing.

The snowflakes of it's different directions was a beautiful cold compass.

And Owen was in his house looking out at his window. It was lovely to see the shining snowflakes of winter sparkling down to the ground.

His little sister, Mary, was in her red scarf and making a snowman.

All the cotton candy snow were piling up on everywhere. The snow settled itself on the roof Owen's house.

Night fell. It was still snowing, and the stars in the sky matched lovely with the winter season. There were hardly people outside, only very little going back home or something.

Owen shivered. There was a bunk bed, and up above him was a snoring Mary.

He smiled. He wasn't getting sleep, because he was shivering even with blanket.

He crept out of bed and slowly took out his jacket from the chair. He put it on, and then he jumped on the bed. He scrolled his blanket against his body.

Brrrrrr!

Still cold. He went to the chair again. The marble floor was shivering cold, it froze Owen's feet. He grabbed a blue scarf and wrapped it around his neck.

Owen ducked himself back in bed.

Ooh!

Still cold. He tossed around, shivering, wondering how Mary could sleep in this season.

Why not I go on a small tour around the house?

He climbed up the ladder.

Mary was sleeping nicely, but she wasn't snoring. She didn't move. Just smile.

Good, Owen thought. At least she isn't having a nightmare.

He slowly got out of bed. He slowly ran without making noises to the door. He twisted the knob and - Creak.

Owen slowly opened the door - Creeak.

He opened it even wider -Creeeakk.

He got out of the room. He left the door ajar, just in case. He stretched out his hand to make sure he wasn't going to fall down.

His hands suddenly met something not flat - in a curvy way, kind of like a smooth "S".

He accidentally pushed the thing down, and it made a loud clattering sound.

But nobody woke up.

Weird.

Usually, Owen's mother ( Crystal) had the sharpest ears. She could even hear a thief creeping. But now, she couldn't even hear the loudest thing.

Hmm.

Owen rubbed his arms.

Ooh, he was feeling very chilly.

Maybe, He thought, I will just creep down and see mother.

He walked a bit further, and his feet felt no ground, and he tumbled down against some rough thing.

He fell on the ground. He fell on something soft that had big pink tufts that poked out. It wasn't sharp like a needle. Honestly, it was as soft as wool. And the tufts weren't big. It was the size of fur.

Wow, how soft it was.

Owen could sleep on it. The big mat had tiny sewing's at every corner. It was some rose, and in the middle was a giant green spiral portal.

And, Owen's eyes got used to the dark. He looked.

Oh, He thought. I just broke mom's favorite vase! I can clearly see the pieces. And I just tumbled by the stairs. And right now, I am on the big pink mat. I am in the hall!

The big white pieces was just on few of the steps. The flowers tumbled on the ground, they were squashed and wittered.

He ran to the corner of the hall, and saw a giant door. He slowly slithered it open. He saw his parents - the most terrible sight!

They were all blue, and bit indigo. It was as if they turned into a mirror.

They were placed on the bed, and their eyes were very widely open.

Owen got scared. Bad dreams of the parents turning into skeletons and clawing him like a wild cat came.

Owen shooed the thoughts out.

He crept closer. He saw his parents both having a layer of ice on them.

Now that was very scary.

Owen tried to scream, but no voice came out. He touched the ice (when he meant to touch his mother).

A giant tear from his eye rolled down his cheek, and when it came to the very middle of his chin, it slowly dropped down to the eye of his mother. Another giant tear rolled down.

He hugged the giant statue of his mother which was made out of ice. As he did, he cried out enormous tears that fell on his mother, turning into ice.

Just then, a hand patted him on the shoulder. Still hugging the statue, he looked back.

It was Mary.

Owen felt funny that he was crying over it, when the emotions belonged to Mary.

' It's okay,' she whispered.

' What are you doing here?' Owen cried. ' But I saw you on bed!'

' True,' said Mary, 'But I heard the vase clatter. So I crept behind you secretly,'

Owen hugged Mary.

' I just don't understand one thing,' He said. ' Why is mother and father having a giant layer of ice?'

Mary sighed. 'I don't know.' She brushed a tear from her eye. ' I don't want to leave mother and father here, but we must leave,'

' No,' said Owen. ' We are not leaving,'

' Why?' Mary demanded. ' I feel sorry for mother and father, but we can't risk,'

' But, but, I don't want to leave them!'

' You have to,' Mary insisted.

' Oh, yeah,' Owen smirked a sly smile. ' I just forgot that I am older than you. So I get to decide,'

Mary stomped her feet in anger. ' Beats me,'

' So,' Mary said, sarcastically, ' Genius, what shall we do?'

' Um,' Owen said, ' We put the statues in sacks,'

' What?' Mary exploded. ' Did you say, " We put them in sacks?" '

' Yes,' said Owen.

And in the end, Mary had to do it. She took two red sacks. She kept father in the first sack, and mother in the second sack.

Owen was taking a big, yellow bag. He quickly boiled some bubbling fresh water that reflected like a mirror. He kept the hot water in a bottle and into the bag. He packed some food in a plastic cover, and he kept the cover in the bag. He zipped up the big metal zipper.

Soon, everything was done.

' You carry the sacks, Mary,' said Owen. ' And I carry the bag,'

' That's not fair!' Mary cried. ' It's going to be too heavy!'

Owen snorted. ' Just do what you're told to do,'

But when they were walking, Mary was lagging behind. She was pushing and dragging the heavy sack.

Owen sighed. ' Give me the sack.'

He turned around and in a dash and flash, he did something.

He gave her one of the sack. ' Now take it,'

Mary held it. ' It's lighter. What did you do?'

Owen grinned. ' Secret,' His tone was very mysterious and scary it nearly freaked Mary out of her wits.

' I'll take a look,' Mary said. She opened the sack. There was no statue. Instead, there was a rolled up mattress.

' Where's the statues?' Mary asked.

He showed her the second sack. ' In here,'

He passed her on the backpack. ' Wear it,'

Mary carried the backpack on her back and Owen carried the two sacks on his back like a backpack. He held a light on his right hand.

' Come and follow me,'

Mary looked back sadly. She missed the lovely house.

They looked into their neighbor's window.

Sadly, they also turned into ice.

Owen and Mary journeyed a lot.

They took short brakes in shelter.

By the end, they were in a place where it was warm - a hill.

And on the hill, was a house. The house was tall and small. It had a red roof and door and white walls.

Flowers were sticking out of each window.

Mary panted. Owen coughed. They were climbing up the hill.

They finally came to the top when they saw an old man coming out of his house.

' Hello!' Owen greeted.

' Hello!' The man's voice was a bit rough, but still, he was friendly.

' How are you doing?' He asked. ' I am just shifting house.' He held a giant blue suitcase on his left hand. His right hand held a super-small yellow suitcase.

' Oh!' Owen cheered. ' Can we please shift in it?'

' Sure!' He cried. ' Anyway, I don't need it anymore.'

He looked at his watch. ' Bye,' He said.

' Bye!' Owen said. Mary just blinked, then waved back.

' That's good news,' said Owen. ' We finally find a lovely home,'

Well, they shifted into it.

There was furniture inside, but there was no food or bed. Only bed frame.

Mary helped Owen keep the mattresses on the two bed frames.

He placed all the food and water in the kitchen. Mary opened all the windows.

Then, finally, they slowly kept their father and mother on the bed.

They looked at both.

The ice for the mother was slowly melting. It turned into icy-cold water, that rolled on to her clothes. Huge lumps of ice on Crystal's shirt began to melt, and wet her clothes. And now she was slowly opening her eyes.

Owen's and Mary's small mouths began to slowly smile, and they opened their mouths very wide in hope.

Crystal slowly opened her eyes. She was blinking slowly, then she opened them.

' Where am I?' she began.

Mary and Owen looked at each other. Then they said, ' At OUR new house!'

Crystal slowly sat up, and leaned on the wall.

' I am just so happy you're alive,' Owen mumbled.

' Ya,' Mary whispered. ' Other wise you were nothing but a statue of ice,'

' I don't understand,' said Crystal, slowly. ' What do you mean by, " Statue of ice?"'

' We will explain you later,' said Mary.

Then a voice said, ' What is this place?'

They looked. Father (Charlie) awoke!

When Charlie and Crystal came into their minds again, they sat on the dining table and Owen explained his story.

Mary also told hers.

And they lived forever in a small house, full of jokes, ice statues, and best of all, living happily ever after.

September 22, 2020 14:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.