3 comments

General

I wasn't born into Royalty or Nobility.


My mother had married the King of Arcadia after they fell in love. Now me and my mom live in the Castle with the King and his two children, Princess Sophia and Prince James.


They had seemed to hate me at first glance. More so the Princess than the Prince though. I got it, we were of different statuses.


I was excited to be their step sibling at first but then I started to dislike the idea after a while. They were just like the other nobles and royals.


Stuck up and spoiled.


I never wanted to be a Prince. I didn't want to have a new family when me and mom were doing just fine by ourselves.


But now, everything has changed. I got a new school, new friends and a new family. I wasn't ready to be a Prince, I don't really have what it takes.


"Julian" was not a noble name.


They made a Throne for me. A light green color, the color of my own eyes. On the right of Mother's fushia Throne.


A few weeks after mom and me arrived to the Castle, the King told us to go to the Throne Room where he, the Prince and Princess were standing infront of the Thrones, dressed in formal clothing. Well, more formal than what they usually wear.


Princess Sophia wore a pink gown that reached the floor, bedazzled by jewels and a silver tiara with pink gems adorning her blonde head, a pink fan in hand. All the while Prince James wore an exact copy of what the King and I were wearing, only his was dark blue while mine was light grey and the King's was red. He also wore a crown as did I, only his was gold while mine was silver and a criclet with a green jewel in the center.


Infront of them sat a painter who had a huge canvas infront of him, paint palett in his right hand. "He is here to paint our family portrait."


Prince James had stood before Mother, Princess Sophia in the middle and I infront of the King, as our 'Birth Right'.


So, it turns out that Prince James is not heir to the Throne like I thought, Princess Sophia is as she's older. It also turns out that I'm heir to the Crown. Oh, boy.


'The Crown Prince of Arcadia.'


I asked the Queen Mother, the King's mother, why was I the Crown Prince and not James and she answered with "Because he will claim the crown after Sophia."


Whatever that meant. Isn't the Crown Heir supposed to claim the crown after? I will never get used to being in this family... A Royal Family.


I've also made a friend in the Castle staff, Authur, one of the butlers for the Castle. He's a little older than me and he keeps teasing me about my height. It's not my fault I was born in this short body.


Mother said it was cute whenever I tried to walk on my tippy toes to look taller, she found it funny, I found it embarrassing.


We had a Ball a few weeks ago, it went horribly good... The cake hadn't been made in time because of the other things the chefs had to make, so I helped them make and decorate it. The decorations and tables were destroyed after someone forgot to lock the griffins in the Castle's Jewel Room, Princess Sophia's favorite place in the whole Castle.


And on top if that, I lost the amulet the King had given me a few days prior. He wasn't as mad as I though he would be and later on we found a baby griffin eating cake under one of the tables and around it's neck was my amulet, so it was a win-win for us both.


He got cake and I got my amulet back.


The King said it was an enchanted amulet from Cielu, a land forgotten and forbidden by the Gods. He said it was magical.


School was hard. It wasn't like the school in the village.


Everyone and their cats knew that fact. The Gods knew so too.


Arcadia Royal Preparatory.


A school for rich noble snobs that only cared about their looks and status, not once caring about those below them.


They had bowed before me on the first day of school, heads lowered and eyes downcast or closed. They had even introduced me as 'Crown Prince Julian of Arcadia'


I hated the title and the attention. It felt weird. I had always been looked down upon by the noble class when I lived in the village and now they're looking up at me.


My relationship with my step siblings was almost nonexistent. They didn't try to get close to me and I tried to keep away from them as much as possible. It was clear they didn't like me, especially Princess Sophia. She didn't dare to say it out loud but the glances she gave me gave her away quickly.


School was hard to put it simply, especially Winged Horse Riding and science and sorcery. My favorites so far had to be Beast Care and Training and Archery.


I did try to make friends at Royal Prep, per mom's request, but they would only bow deeply and walk away quickly, so I ended up eating alone and visiting the horses and griffins in the stables.


They were nice and I ended up sharing some of my lunch with a rabbit and a few doves. I was a bit of a mess when I got back to the Castle, there were buttlerflies, feathers and a few robins on my hair, a loose flower crown the rabbit had built for me clinging onto my circlet's jewel.


Prince James had also started talking to me and putting our differences aside, although it was very awkward at first. A story that involved water, a watermelon, magic and getting trapped in a book together... Another story for another times perhaps?


I'm sure I'll get used to the whole 'Being a Crown Prince' thing someday... And in time, maybe I'll also get used to the whole 'New Family' thing.


Maybe...

August 14, 2020 12:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Elle Clark
09:58 Aug 18, 2020

What a fun story! I love the hints of the world that they live in. I wish we’d been able to see more of that. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Cassie Duke
15:36 Aug 18, 2020

Thank you! I can make a full story on Wattpad or AO3 if you'd like? Thank you again!

Reply

Elle Clark
16:36 Aug 18, 2020

I can definitely see novel potential for this storyline! I would never tell you what to write though.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.