4 comments

Drama

The whole world felt moody. Not angry, just a leave-me-alone vibe that encouraged people to stay indoors. Isobelle didn’t have that choice. Walking out the door after a hurried lunch, it felt more like early evening. The trees swayed like a drunk trying to walk, and the stray hairs on her forehead alternately whipped across her face or dangled in front of her eyes as brief periods of calm alternated with moments of chaos. She kept walking, even as the buffeting increased and the sky began to scatter droplets across the ground.

Shifting from foot to foot, she waited at the one intersection on her way with lights. In theory, she could just cross – no-one was in sight, after all – but with her luck it would be the day that a cop would appear just in time to give her a ticket. Murphy’s law. If she waited, all the cops would be in the donut shop, getting warmed up with coffees. If she crossed, one would appear. Better to wait. Tickets are expensive.

The little green man appeared and Isobelle stepped off the curb, just in time to see a police vehicle cruise past. The driver glanced at her with a scowl, as if he wanted to be outside just as much as she did. Maybe he would have seen her cross illegally, maybe not, but Isobelle was suddenly glad that she hadn’t taken the chance. She was in a hurry, but some things are just not worth the risk.

As she reached the other footpath, a sudden blast pushed her directly backwards, and she almost fell back into the street. If this was an indication, she was likely to be drenched any second now. She leaned forward as a hand abruptly grabbed her elbow. “May I help you?”

She looked up from the hand on her elbow as a sideways burst knocked her into the stranger. Fortunately, his balance was better than hers, and they both managed to stay upright, despite the intense forces battering them. Slightly shorter than she was and with misted glasses, his gentle kindness in the midst of everything was the perfect antidote to the difficulties of their surroundings.

“Please. It’s just a few more blocks – oh!” A sudden band of pain hit her at the same time the sky made good on its promise. Within an instant, her clothes were stuck to the skin, and everything was saturated. The man hustled her to the street, bundling her into an old sedan before she could protest. He got in the driver's seat and paused only long enough to ensure she was buckled in before turning the car around and speeding down the street, almost hydroplaning in his haste.

He slowed immediately, but not as abruptly as he’d accelerated. “Sorry. We’ll be fine, I promise. You’re headed to the hospital, I take it?”

Isobelle nodded, another band of pain taking her voice. How had it come to this? In a car, with a complete stranger, on the way to the hospital alone. What was happening outside wasn’t making it any better. At least she didn’t have to try to walk any more. She glanced over at the driver. Hopefully, he was as trustworthy as his initial impression implied. She had little choice now. As it was, there was no way she could even get out of the car, let alone run away, if he turned out to be as treacherous as the conditions outside.

Would they even make it to the hospital in time? She’d waited at the lights to avoid even the small chance of having to pay for a ticket, but every second’s delay had chafed like a new pair of sandals. Riding in the stranger’s car should be faster, assuming he would actually take her there, but that came with its own risks. Like if he took her somewhere else. Or robbed her.

Before her analysis could develop into full-blown panic, the car came to a stop. Isobelle knew she should get out but couldn’t find the energy to move. The stranger walked around the car, opened her door, and pulled her out. She was relieved to look around and find they were in the relative shelter of the hospital’s emergency entrance. He held her arm while she found her balance.

She looked at him and said, “Thank you for getting me here. You can leave if you want. I’ll be ok now.”

As he looked back at her, with the whistling and rumblings in the air and the pounding of drops on the hospital roof, she couldn’t help but feel that this moment was more significant to him than simply helping a stranger in need. Another burst of pain was this time accompanied but an unnerving stillness in the air, all the more strange in comparison with the wildness of the previous moment. He didn’t say anything, merely escorting her through the doors of the hospital. Isobelle found herself bustled into a wheelchair and taken to a bed with no idea where the stranger was, and no opportunity to thank him further. Despite her earlier dismissal, she wished that he had been able to stay with her.

Several hours later, she was holding her beautiful newborn daughter. There had been plenty of time in the end, although there was no way of knowing that when she was on the way. A knock at the door brought her out of her reverie. A large bouquet of flowers entered the room, followed by the stranger. Isobelle beamed. “I’m so glad you came back. I realized I never got your name, and I don’t feel like I was able to thank you properly for your help.”

The stranger smiled in return. “You’re welcome. I’m Albert, and I never got your name either. I’m glad to see everything turned out well. I had to wait and make sure you would both be okay.”

Isobelle looked down at her daughter and smiled gently, then back up at Albert. “Yes, we are. I’m Isobelle. I just have to decide on a name for her now.”

Crinkles appeared at the corners of Albert’s eyes as he chuckled. “You could always name her Gabrielle. You know, after the hurricane.”

Isobelle shook her head with another smile, then looked down. “Gabrielle. Perfect.”

September 12, 2020 04:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Emma Rose
17:27 Sep 21, 2020

Awww, I loved everything about this, especially how you used the twist at the end to tie everything together. Wonderful job!! ❤️

Reply

Merinda Forwood
20:58 Sep 21, 2020

Thank you! I've only just started writing again after a long break (probably at least 15 years since I wrote anything properly, and mostly only for school before that).

Reply

Emma Rose
21:43 Sep 21, 2020

I'm so glad you started again!! You're very good. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
DHANANJAY SHARMA
09:56 Sep 25, 2020

Simply beautiful. I am speechless. Kindly go through mine. https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/60/submissions/35763/ Looking forward to collaborate with you.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.