7 comments

American Drama Funny

Don’t, Sue!



At 11:49 a.m., Sue plowed into the back of a bus.


WHUMP!


And just like that, lunch was delayed for the entire office.  


A witness called 9-1-1. 


Voices… sound urgent… Something going on?… doesn’t matter… Sirens?… accident?... Let them deal with it… Drift away… and back… 


Sue opened one eye, just a slit. The other one didn’t want to cooperate.


“There you are, back with us!”


Fuzzy woman… blonde hair… no, blonde woman… fuzzy hair… but she IS fuzzy… face blurry… focus, brain…


Cool hands brushed lightly around Sue’s face and neck.


“Does this hurt?” 


“C-c-c—” 


Why can’t I get words out?


“Cold?”


“Y-y-y—”


What’s wrong with me?


“Ssh, it’s OK. Aleki, grab a blanket.”


Big, gentle hands tucked something fleecy around her.


Ahh… warm… cocoon… floaty…


Sue peeked again. Through her eyelashes, she saw the blonde woman’s indistinct features hovering like a bobbing pink balloon—then slowly moving into sharp focus. Hyper-sharp.


Balloons… don’t have… hair… Do they?


Up close, she could see that the woman had fine lines at the corners of her eyes and mouth. Some of the hair at her temples was gray. As Sue gazed, the fine lines deepened and widened into crevasses. Curly tendrils stiffened and stood out from the woman’s misshapen face, like heavy-duty springs. The balloon had become a living gargoyle. Grotesque. Surreal. An Easter Island monolith, perhaps?


Strange… like prescription lenses that are too strong… or an image made for viewing with 3D glasses… red overlaid with a bluish… oh! Head hurts…


The monolith’s sharp edges began to crumble away and turn hazy. The woman was disintegrating, receding… 


Like the Cheshire Cat… but without the grin… Where am I? … Is this Wonderland? … Who am I?… Doesn’t matter… just float…


Sue moved her head. And then regretted it.


Oooh! M’ head…” she mumbled. Her tongue felt thick. Talking was an effort, but she had an urgent message to give. “Gotta… ge’…lunsh…”


The blonde woman exchanged glances with a burly, dark-skinned man. The owner of the large, warm hands? They were both in uniforms about the same shade of blue as Sue’s SUV, but not as wrinkly.


“You’re not going anywhere right now, darlin’, except the hospital,” the man said. 


Sue had a moment of piercing awareness. Hospital? But she hadn’t picked up lunch yet! She needed to get to Spyro’s Gyros! Everyone at the office was waiting. They’d be getting hungry, and Charlie would be agitated about his blood sugar. She knew what he was like when he got hypoglycemic, and it wasn’t pretty. The order of gyros would be sitting at the pickup counter getting cold, the pita bread soggy and unpalatable. But how would she get to Spyro’s?


“Uhh…Car?”


“Sorry. Your car is, um, functionally challenged.”


“Wha’ happen’?”


“You ran into the back of a bus.”


“Ahhh…” Sue’s one open eye glazed. She watched an impromptu light show of sparkling colors; a private one, just for her. Chartreuse and magenta inflorescences, popping and fading into inky indigo.


“…taKINg yOU to THe hOSPitaL,” the woman said in an oddly modulated voice. And then the black velvet curtain came down.


~~~~~


Sue didn’t come back.


“Traffic must be bad!” Shelly supposed, at quarter past twelve. “Ugh! Crosstown traffic snarls are getting horrendous, especially at lunchtime.”


“Could be a long line at Spyro’s,” Dan speculated. 


“But we pre-ordered. It’s just a pickup!”


“I gotta keep my blood sugar stable,” Charlie grumbled. “Shouldn’t be eating gyros anyway. Don’t know why I ordered one. Waste of carbs.”


At twelve thirty, Shelly called Spyro’s Gyros. The conversation was brief. 

“You guys!” she gasped, thwacking her phone on the desk. “Sue never got there!”


Charlie grunted and popped a glucose tablet into his mouth.


~~~~~


“Bus was empty. My shift ends at noon, so I was goin’ back to the yahd. Sittin’ at the light, and BAM! Somethin’ slams into me. Lady, was it? Sure hope she’s—” George grimaced, indicating the crumpled blue SUV. Officer Corcoran paused her notetaking. 


“She’s pretty banged up, but she was able to speak. We’ll be heading to the hospital later, to see if we can determine what happened.” 


George sighed and shifted his feet. “Got a perfect record. Thirty years drivin’ bus. Plannin’ to retire next year.”


“It doesn’t look like you’ll be held liable. Clearly, you were not at fault whatsoever.”


~~~~~


“It’s not Sue. It’s not her!” 


Jim took a step backward, away from that… that… grotesque gargoyle in the hospital bed. 


Sue wouldn’t be caught dead looking like that—


What was wrong with him? What was wrong with him, having that thought? No need to be morbid. That frightful sight was his wife! It must be shock affecting him. He’d been told that Sue was seriously injured, but—to see her like this…    


“I know her condition seems pretty scary right now. She’s just one massive bruise and a few fractures,” the nurse said, patting Jim’s arm. “But Sue’s still there, in that body, and she’ll be OK. We expect her to fully recover in time.”


“I don’t understand how this happened! She’s an obsessively careful driver.”


“We’ve been all through the possibilities. No sign of stroke, heart attack, brain tumor, aneurysm. We’ve taken X-rays, and given her an MRI… She's generally in fine physical condition, aside from her current injuries. It’s just not clear. Hopefully, we can get details from her soon. Right now, she just needs to know you’re here for her. I’ll give you some privacy.” The nurse gave his arm another pat before leaving the room.


Jim took a deep breath and moved to the bedside. He leaned close and whispered, “Hi, sweetie. I just wanted to tell you, that shade of purple doesn’t suit you.”


He saw the corners of her mouth twitch.


~~~~~


Floating… slowly rising… humming sounds… beeps, chirps, buzzes… voices… light… A voice… a familiar voice… Who…?


“Hi, sweetie,” she heard the beloved voice say—and knew it was Jim. And knew she was Sue. “I just wanted to tell you,” he whispered tenderly, “that shade of purple doesn’t suit you.”


Jim… Jim! He’s here… 


She felt the corners of her mouth twitch. It was the best she could do for a smile right now. She opened her one usable eye, and there he was.


“J-Jim!”


~~~~~


Memory came seeping in. Trickling, then pausing. Dribbling, splashing, suddenly rushing—and Sue was reliving That Day.


Light traffic… plenty of time… pleasant day… bright sun… bus up ahead… Advertisement on the back… what’s it say? Sun’s shining right on it… have to squint… OH NO!!


“Personal Injury Accident?” 


The candid, toothy smile on the man’s face invited litigation. “Don’t get thrown under the bus! Call us today!”





June 24, 2023 01:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Michał Przywara
02:12 Jun 30, 2023

Ha! The setup paid off for that ending :) I wondered where it was all headed, and it delivered. Like the others said, very much ironic. I also like the play on the name, given the legal side of things. All in all a pretty lighthearted take on a terrible accident. Her shock comes through well, with the insistence of finishing her lunch duties. Seems like everyone's in a bit of shock - like the husband going to her appearance. But maybe that's normal, that's a gut reaction to reject the sad fact the accident happened. Thanks for sharing :)

Reply

Cindy Strube
17:20 Jul 05, 2023

I’ve had this idea in mind for a while, even the aspect of making a traumatic event humorous, so took advantage of the prompt. Most of my writing (as you know!) tends to be fairly lighthearted—but the analytical side wants a turn sometimes! ; ) It is a bit discomfiting to imagine a husband reacting that way, but people definitely have variable reactions to shock. I watch a lot of both true crime and psychological analysis videos, and a common statement is that you never know how someone will react in shock. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
14:03 Jun 26, 2023

I think that is rich. So can she sue the lawyer for distracted driving because of the advertisement that made the accident happen? Irony of ironies if she could. LOL. Good read. LF6

Reply

Cindy Strube
17:27 Jul 05, 2023

Ha! Yup. I see some quirky thing and think, “What if…?” This has been on the back burner for almost a year, so was glad for an opportunity to complete it. Thanks for reading and commenting!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
01:52 Jun 25, 2023

I believe that defines irony.

Reply

Cindy Strube
06:03 Jun 25, 2023

Yes, it does! I have seen these advertisements, and actually had the thought, “What if someone gets distracted trying to read it and runs into the bus?” : 0

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
16:43 Jul 18, 2023

Hey Cindy, Oh, this was such a great take on the prompt! I think that’s a trope of worrying about your thoughts right before you understand the true circumstances happening unbeknownst to you is so common because it’s frightening to think we lose a part of our humanity, even though it’s not our fault since we didn’t know what we didn’t know. I like that the story masterful, the one with the two conversations together and your play in words worked beautifully for the title. Nice work!!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.