14 comments

Crime Drama Science Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of suicide or self harm.

Act I: The Appearance

The sun plays among the glass and steel skyscrapers, rising like the giants we remember from the stories our parents read to us before bed. Each cloud seemed like cotton candy in the eyes of the children running in the park, cheerful. I haven't felt happiness for some time now.

The long shadows of the buildings stretch like giant fingers over the urban landscape that seems so silent and yet chaotic. A cacophony filled with silence that does not bode well. Elsinore Enterprises, once a fortress of innovation and promises, had transformed before my eyes into a kingdom filled with ruins and shattered tears, which I abandoned when I chose to go as far away as possible. I always wanted to make a name for myself. But now I am forced to return home.

My father, Henry King, reigned like a god over this technological empire, until his death brought a total eclipse, and everything disappeared as if it had never been. Officially...a heart attack - an unexpected storm that befalls a quiet city, destroying every trace of peace and order...and all in an instant. The silicon crown fell to his brother, Claude, a vulture with iron claws that dominates the sky and controls everything under its wings, instilling fear and submission in the hearts of those who live in his shadow. My mother, Gertrude, a few weeks after the king's death, married him. On the wedding day, she seemed like a nightingale trapped in a golden cage, forced to sing for the new king.

I, Ethan, a prince without a crown, managed to return home from my academic exile, but found nothing good. Everything seemed just a ruin of a former greatness. The steps seemed just an illusion of time, and memories fell like notes on an old piano, which managed to produce only minor melodies. At their end were Gertrude and Claude. His smile was cold, as if he wore an ice mask, and his eyes shone like burning coals. He greeted me with open arms, but it all seemed like a biblical scene, an embrace that felt like a snake tightening around its prey, and a kiss on the cheek that heralded only betrayal. My mother, Gertrude, stood next to him, with a forced smile, but her eyes seemed like a mirror of the soul, an X-ray showing how cancer had captured her heart and could no longer be disposed of.

"Ethan, welcome home! We missed you! Your place is here, at Elsinore, with us!" I felt how each of his words was poison in honey. I knew that beneath this friendly mask lay a dark soul, ready to harm anyone in its way, just to achieve its goal.

"I'm glad to see you, Claude! And you, mother! I've heard about the new changes and your grand plans!" I tried to mimic happiness, but my face betrayed a mixture of feelings.

Claude led me through the company's labyrinth of laboratories. Fragments of memories began to overwhelm me. When I was little, I used to get lost in the corridors, laughing and playing hide and seek among the offices and sophisticated equipment. Then, everything seemed so big and full of promise. My father always waited for me and took my small hand, which in his palm seemed just a point of light in the technological darkness. Now, each step on the same corridors seemed just an echo of lost happiness, shattered innocence. Everything had become cold, lifeless, like a scene from a forgotten black-and-white film. Each door, each window seemed a gateway to a past that could no longer be recovered.

Claude suddenly stopped in front of a massive door, with an enigmatic smile on his lips. "Ethan, I want to show you something special. It's the project your father worked on in the last period before... he left us. It is an incredible discovery, one that could change the world. It is a technology that can help hundreds of people, maybe even thousands, with incurable diseases. An unprecedented progress in modern medicine."

My heart was pounding in my chest. I stepped inside and saw a huge screen displaying a multitude of complex data and graphs. The project was called "Pandora." Claude began to explain, but my thoughts were overwhelmed with memories and conflicting emotions.

Looking at the screen, I realized the incredible potential of this discovery. But something in Claude's voice unsettled me.

"Why didn't my father finish it?" I asked.

"There were certain... complications. He didn't have the will to do what was necessary. But now, with you here, we can complete the project and bring the world to its knees," said Claude, with a cold and calculated look.

I felt a heavy shadow settling over my soul. I now understood Claude's true intentions. He didn't want to help humanity; he wanted to use this technology to gain power and control.

"I'll let you get settled!" said Claude. After Claude left, I remained alone in the lab, thinking about all these revelations. In the oppressive silence, the lab door opened, and Horatio and Ophelia entered.

"Horatio! Ophelia!" I exclaimed, feeling a wave of relief at seeing my old friends.

"Ethan, we heard you were back and wanted to see you," said Horatio, with visible concern in his eyes. "What's going on with you?"

I began to tell them about the recent discoveries, about the "Pandora" project, and about Claude's true intentions. Horatio and Ophelia listened attentively, sharing their suspicions with me.

"Ophelia, your father, Polonius, still works for Claude?" I asked.

"Yes, but he knows nothing about Claude's hidden plans," Ophelia replied, worried. "We have to do something to stop this."

At that moment, the main computer screen started flickering again. My father's face appeared, spectral and translucent, like a ghost from another world. The digital image was composed of fragments of code, as if his soul had been trapped in an electronic network.

"Ethan," whispered the image, "I am your father, trapped in this machine. I was killed by Claude. Avenge me!"

Horatio and Ophelia's horrified looks turned to me. At that moment, time seemed to stop. My father continued to speak, revealing how Claude had betrayed and killed him, then transferred his consciousness into a digital network, trying to keep a part of himself alive to warn me.

"Ethan, you must find the evidence and expose the truth. Pandora is the key," he said before the image disappeared, leaving me in an oppressive silence.

Act II: The Conspiracy

In the days that followed, we began to gather as much data as possible. It all seemed like a spider's web spreading wider and wider, each thread leading us to another well-guarded secret. Horatio, with his skills as a master of the digital shadows, infiltrated the company's networks, hacking servers and gathering compromising information. Each document discovered was a piece of a macabre puzzle, each line of code a testimony to Claude's betrayal.

Ophelia, torn between her duty to her father, Polonius—Claude's advisor—and her love for me, helped us discreetly, providing data and access to restricted areas. Each meeting with her was laden with tension and conflicting emotions. In her sapphire blue eyes, I saw the reflection of my own despair and determination.

"We have to be very careful," Ophelia said one night as we hid in my father's secret lab. "If Claude finds out what we're doing, we're finished."

"We won't stop until we reveal the truth," replied Horatio, the keys of his computer clacking rapidly under his nimble fingers. "I found some documents that might be useful."

As we investigated, we discovered that the "Pandora" project was much more than a simple medical technology. It was a tool for total control, capable of manipulating minds and subjugating people's wills. Claude intended to use this discovery to gain absolute power, transforming the world into a nightmare under his domination, an army of zombies doing exactly as he wished.

The days passed, and I was losing my patience, but Ophelia presented a totally crazy plan that gave a glimmer of hope. It was the only way we could expose the truth to the world and reveal Claude's evil plans.

"It has to be perfect," said Horatio, checking the security equipment for the hundredth time. "We can't afford any mistakes."

Ophelia, though tense, remained calm and focused her attention on the details of the organization. "We need to ensure that each invitation reaches the right people. There need to be enough witnesses who can spread the news."

"I've already sent the invitations," I said, trying to control my emotions. "I invited all the important employees of Elsinore Enterprises and the most influential journalists."

The preparations were intense, every detail carefully planned. We chose the largest conference room in the Elsinore building, a symbolic place for innovation and progress, now transformed into an arena of truth.

The hall was dimly lit, reflecting the tense atmosphere. In front of the huge screen, I prepared all the materials that were to be presented. I was determined to reveal the truth, regardless of the consequences.

On the day of the conference, the hall was full of curious and eager faces. Claude sat in the front row, with a cold and calculated smile, confident. My mother, Gertrude, looked confused and worried, not knowing what was about to happen.

"Ladies and gentlemen," I began, trying to keep my voice calm and firm. "Today, I will present the truth about the 'Pandora' project and Claude King's true intentions."

The screen lit up, and the graphs and documents we had gathered over the past few days appeared before everyone. I explained in clear detail how the developed technology could be used for mind manipulation and the subjugation of people's wills. The audience listened in silence, shocked by the revelations.

Claude began to fidget in his seat. He was starting to lose his composure, and his fake smile disappeared. As I presented more and more evidence, his face became increasingly frowning.

"Claude King is not an innovator, but a tyrant in the making," I said, my eyes fixed on him. "He betrayed everything Elsinore Enterprises stood for and killed my father to achieve his evil goals."

The audience began to murmur, and the journalists frantically took notes. At that moment, Claude stood up, shouting angrily, "Ethan, you don't know what you're talking about! You're insane!"

"No, Claude," I replied calmly. "The truth is now in plain sight, and you can no longer hide anything."

Act III: The Revenge

The days following the revelation of the truth were chaotic, but controlled. Although Claude had been arrested, his empire of fear and manipulation had not yet crumbled, and it was up to us to deal with it. It felt like a battle of the absurd. Claude's loyalists still held key positions in Elsinore Enterprises, and the danger was palpable, like a web slowly closing in on us, casting a shadow over any hope of recovery. I felt suffocated by the dark cloud that spewed only venom.

Every corner of the building seemed to be guarded by the suspicious eyes of Claude's old acolytes, and the atmosphere was laden with tension and unease.

In the days that followed, we continued to uncover hidden secrets in the company's codes and servers, while Horatio used his skills to expose more evidence of betrayal and conspiracy. Ophelia, torn between her duty to her father, Polonius, and her love for me, helped us discreetly, providing access to restricted areas and bringing us valuable information. Every step we took seemed to be watched by the shadows of the past and the constant threat of discovery.

Despite being arrested, Claude managed to escape with the help of his loyalists. His return was sudden and violent. One night, while I was working in the lab, I heard a loud noise outside. The doors burst open, and Claude, accompanied by a few of his trusted men, entered the room. His eyes burned with uncontrollable fury.

"You can't stop me, Ethan. Elsinore Enterprises is mine, and mine it will remain," Claude shouted, his eyes glowing like burning coals.

Polonius, who tried to stop him, was caught in the middle of the confrontation. In a blind rage, Claude stabbed Polonius, who fell to the ground lifeless. Ophelia's cry of pain echoed throughout the building. The pain and guilt overwhelmed me, and each day became a battle with my own demons.

In the days following Polonius's death, Ophelia's soul was caught in a whirlwind of pain and despair, each day bringing her closer to the edge of madness. Her blue eyes, once clear as the summer sky, had become cloudy and lifeless, like mirrors reflecting only the shadows of the past. Every corner of her house seemed to remind her of her father, their laughter, and the tender moments that now seemed to have been part of a distant dream.

One evening, as the sun set behind the skyscrapers, painting the sky a blood red, Ophelia left the house, drawn by the mysterious call of the nearby river. The clear, cold water wound through the forest, a silver thread in a world of shadows and darkness. Dressed in a simple white dress, she looked like a ghost, a wandering spirit between worlds.

As she approached the river, her mind sank deeper into memories and regrets. In her mind's eye, she saw the faces of her lost loved ones: her father, Polonius, with his warm and gentle smile; her brother, Laertes, away seeking revenge; and Ethan, her love, caught in a desperate struggle for truth and justice. Each face was a painful memory, an open wound that refused to heal.

Reaching the river's edge, Ophelia bent down and looked at her reflection in the water. The gentle waves distorted her face, making it look like another, strange and distant. Unconsciously, she began to murmur verses from old songs, fragments of poetry that echoed in her mind like memories from a lost world. Her words mingled with the murmur of the water, creating a strange and hypnotic melody.

With tears in her eyes, Ophelia stepped into the water, feeling the cold envelop her feet, slowly rising towards her heart, frozen by pain. The water embraced her like a cold silk veil, drawing her deeper into its depths. As she walked further, her white dress spread around her like the wings of a fallen angel, floating on the water's surface.

In her final moments, Ophelia looked up at the sky for the last time. In her mind, a desire for peace was born, a release from the chains of pain that held her captive. And, with one last sigh, she let herself be enveloped by the cold waters of the river, her body slowly disappearing beneath the surface. Her tears mingled with the river's water, like diamonds lost in the dark depths.

Ophelia was gone, leaving behind only the memory of a pure soul, torn by pain and loss. The river continued to flow, carrying with it her sad and broken story, an eternal memory of unfulfilled love and a life lost too soon.

Act IV: The Final Confrontation

Laertes, Ophelia's brother, returned from a long journey and learned of his father's death and his sister's suicide. His fury was unstoppable, and the desire for revenge burned within him like an unquenchable fire. Claude, now desperate and unscrupulous, devised an evil plan. He manipulated Laertes, convincing him to challenge me to a duel, one that would seem like a simple confrontation of technical skills but was in reality a lethal trap.

The day of the duel arrived. In a huge hall filled with spectators, we met face to face, with our keyboards and codes ready for the final fight. Each line of code written was like a sword strike, each corrected error a wager of life and death. The tension was palpable, and each flicker of the screen seemed to foreshadow the tragic outcome.

In the midst of the duel, Laertes realized the truth about Claude, but it was too late. In the ensuing chaos, both Laertes and I were gravely injured. With our last ounces of strength, we continued to fight, but we knew the end was near. Gertrude, now aware of the truth about Claude and the tragedy unfolding before her, intervened, trying to stop the madness. In a moment of despair, she drank from a glass of water that had been poisoned by Claude, thinking it was meant for me. In agony, she took her last breath, looking at me with eyes full of regret and love.

With my final breaths, I revealed to the public all the evidence against Claude, broadcasting everything on the screens in the hall. The truth was seen by all. Claude, cornered and desperate, tried to flee but was caught by the authorities and brought to justice.

Horatio, the sole survivor of the tragedy, promised to honor my legacy and lead Elsinore Enterprises toward a brighter and more ethical future. He remained to tell the story of ambition, betrayal, and redemption, ensuring that the lessons of the past would not be forgotten.

In my last moments, I looked at Horatio and whispered in a faint voice:

"To code... or not to code. That is the question."

June 29, 2024 16:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

Karen Hope
14:47 Jul 08, 2024

Your creative writing style and vivid descriptions make this a pleasure to read!

Reply

Alexandra Noir
14:55 Jul 08, 2024

THANK YOUUU!!!♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
14:41 Jul 08, 2024

Much easier read then Shakespeare's Hamlet.

Reply

Alexandra Noir
14:56 Jul 08, 2024

I didn t like that much the way Hamlet was written... but I imagined in my own way... Glad you liked it!♥️♥️♥️♥️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
19:35 Jun 30, 2024

Creatively mastered. Thanks for liking my 'Fair Lady Charity' And 'Much Ado About Nothing'

Reply

Alexandra Noir
03:42 Jul 01, 2024

Thank you very much! ♥️♥️♥️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
18:02 Jun 29, 2024

Brilliant! This is amazing. Great modern reimagination of Hamlet. Very high quality writing, wordcraft, and cleverness. Unique and entertaining!

Reply

Alexandra Noir
18:29 Jun 29, 2024

Thank you very much! It means a lot to me, especially is out of my comfort zone!😘😘🤗🤗🥰🥰

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emily Nghiem
13:25 Jul 12, 2024

Great job! I enjoyed how you immersed traditional Shakespearean characters into the new tech world to create your own Universe mixing fantasy with the feel of both futuristic and historical fiction at the same time. Expertly done! I only wish you had the time and length your story deserves, so it tells itself through live action instead of having to report and condense it to fit this shorter format. The reason I feel robbed at the end is more from this limitation, and your ending line makes it seem to cheapen the wealth that you offer here. ...

Reply

Alexandra Noir
15:29 Jul 12, 2024

Thank you very much for your comment. Actualy you are totally right because i didn t have enough words to describe what i had in my mind in the beginning... I tried to be in the theme... I am really greatful for your advice. Thank you !♥️♥️♥️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Frances Gaudiano
09:43 Jul 11, 2024

The modernization is a fetching idea. I do feel as if trying to compress Shakespeare's longest play into a short story is a tad ambitious. Maybe concentrating on one act and going into depth, using dialogue and character interaction a bit more would make this a stronger piece.

Reply

Alexandra Noir
14:44 Jul 11, 2024

heyaa! thank you.. i will keep in mind what you said for next short story! ♥️♥️♥️♥️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keba Ghardt
17:11 Jul 07, 2024

I really enjoyed your voice in this. You gave many of the characters more agency, and gave Hamlet some better motivation, which made me empathize with the cast of this piece over the original. And the final line is *chef's kiss*

Reply

Alexandra Noir
17:13 Jul 07, 2024

Oh my god! Thank youuu SO MUUUCCHH!!<3<3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.