Contest #44 winner 🏆

187 comments

Romance Science Fiction Contemporary

The chance of you breaking up with me right now is 19.67%.


That’s lower than the chance of a long-distance relationship failing but higher than the chance of rolling doubles on two dice.


We stand around awkwardly. This is the last time I’ll see you for an undetermined amount of time, as if you’re just another high school friend that I lost touch with after graduation. We spent the whole day together but now that you’re leaving, all I can think of are questions, not goodbyes.


In some ways, this is like the end of our first date all over again, when the chance of you texting me the next day was 16.33%, lower than the chance of me dying from heart disease. Was this all just a mistake? I thought back then. You walked me to my door, now what? What do I have to do to keep you?


Finally, you ask, semi-casually, “So what’s the probability that I’ll see you again?”


I look down at my doormat and see again the numbers that have haunted me since the thought of long-distance became a likely and then a definite. “What’s the probability of rolling doubles on two dice?” I reply.


You lift my chin up. “You know I suck at those kinds of questions.”


“I know.”


You start to pull out your phone to Google the answer, so instead I throw myself at you for one last long hug before I scurry into my apartment and lock the door.


I hear you sigh and try the doorknob without success. The chance of you asking to come in is 5% since you’re already running late, and soon enough I hear your footsteps fade away.


***


I’ve always seen probabilities. I’ll wonder to myself a question – the chance of a pay raise or the chance of catching the 5:40 bus – and then little black percentages will flicker in my vision like the channel number on a TV screen.


They’re not definite but they’re quite helpful. After all, what’s the point of getting sweaty running toward the bus stop when I can see the low numbers in front of me and know that it will be a wasted effort? Although sometimes they lead me astray, like the time I saw a 90% chance of passing an exam, got cocky, and the less said about that experience, the better. Unfortunately failure is always a possibility.


I can’t see absolutes. I can’t see black or white, yes or no. If I ask myself groggily in the morning the chance that it’s Tuesday, no numbers appear besides the time and date on my phone. If I ask myself anxiously during an exam the chance that my answer is correct, no numbers appear besides my calculations.


If I ask myself hopefully any time, any day, the chance that you’re the one for me, I get nothing, nada, zilch.


Probabilities make first dates interesting. Observing proper social niceties while fielding get-to-know-you questions on my career and hobbies and culinary tastes is dangerous enough without considering that 40 to 50 percent of marriages in the U.S. end in divorce.


A coin flip, essentially. That’s what it comes down to.


And having my brain go into overdrive calculating all the possible worst-case scenarios is not exactly reassuring.


You are not an exception. The numbers I see on our first date are low, like they were for all of the people I dated before. I suppose the difference is that being with you makes me feel like I’m six years old again, wrapped up in a puffy purple scarf and sledding down a huge snowy hill, arms thrown up as I scream excitedly.


I can’t believe I’m banking on a coin flip.


You finally learn about the probabilities because I keep staring at you for far too long with a frown on my face.


Something on your mind? you ask, and I keep processing numbers while denying No, just looking at you, before you finally have enough and call me out about trust and communication and is it someone else? and when I see the probabilities plunge to the chance of rolling doubles on two dice three times in a row, that’s when I tell you in a desperate gamble to keep you.


You have a hard time believing me at first, but my agitation and correct answers to a few probability questions finally convince you. (Or maybe it’s also because days later I purposely leave out my phone unlocked, and you find nothing suspicious besides my brother’s last text of hey, how many doos are there in baby shark. I think you feel guilty afterwards, because you let me koala you for a whole week without complaining.)


You start joking that I shouldn’t go to Vegas.


You start holding my hand when I stare at you for too long.


But the parade of questions in my head never stops.


Probability of me getting through this date without saying something stupid?


Probability of you liking this Valentine’s Day gift?


Probability of you canceling movie night to work overtime being an obvious sign of buried resentment and frustration?


Probability of me regretting this relationship in ten years? Probability of you regretting this relationship in ten years?


Probability of our relationship working long-distance?


Probability of you meeting someone skinnier than me? Someone prettier than me? Someone less neurotic than me?


Probability of seeing you again?


You’ve been spinning me in your web and now I’m waiting for the thread to break.


Because luck runs out. Because no coin lands on heads every time except a weighted one, and I weigh less than you.


Our relationship has always depended on you.


A week before you have to leave, I ask Do you really love me? and when your forehead wrinkles a bit and you squeeze my hand tighter before saying Of course, I wonder about the chance that you’re lying. But I don’t see any probabilities.


***


I sit with my back against the apartment door. My mind is surprisingly blank.


A few minutes after you leave, you text me.


I miss you. I love you, you say. Don’t listen to the numbers.

June 06, 2020 00:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

187 comments

Lee Peter
06:04 Jun 15, 2020

nice writing i should keep try till i win once lol

Reply

D. Holmes
17:04 Jun 16, 2020

Thank you! Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Genevieve Lemon
04:58 Jun 15, 2020

captivated until the end and I felt immersed in the story. Wonderful read D. Holmes

Reply

D. Holmes
17:03 Jun 16, 2020

Thank you for reading! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Antonia Henry
17:41 Jun 14, 2020

Absolutely beautiful.

Reply

D. Holmes
16:35 Jun 15, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Heissell Ramirez
15:38 Jun 14, 2020

I like that you used the word "you" as the other person in the story. It felt direct and personal. Great story!

Reply

D. Holmes
16:35 Jun 15, 2020

Thank you! I wanted to leave names/genders up to the reader to just focus on their relationship, so "you" it was :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alton Rook
15:19 Jun 14, 2020

I loved this. I don't think I have anything to new to say, but at no point in the entire story did you lose grasp, you held it together from beginning till end. Not a single low. Well done. Cheers

Reply

D. Holmes
16:33 Jun 15, 2020

Thank you for reading! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charli Utley
22:06 Jun 13, 2020

Oh my gosh! This story was so well written and so cute! I enjoyed it very much, and congrats for your win!

Reply

D. Holmes
03:47 Jun 14, 2020

Thank you for reading! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Joanne X
21:13 Jun 13, 2020

Amazing job with this story, you're an awesome writer! The narrative character's thoughts are really shown to the readers instead of directly being told, which shows really great descriptive skills. I love how you wrote the ending because although it *would* be super cool to see all those probabilities, many events in life are truly uncertain and sometimes you just have to take a gamble. :)

Reply

D. Holmes
03:47 Jun 14, 2020

Thanks so much! I do have trouble with "showing vs telling," so I'm really glad you thought the narrator's thoughts were shown! And yes, I wanted to end on a hopeful note, but since even the narrator doesn't know what will happen next, how can we? :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lala Joy
16:37 Jun 13, 2020

Really really well written story! Loved it:) Congratulations on your win!!

Reply

D. Holmes
03:41 Jun 14, 2020

Thank you for reading! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ken Coomes
15:46 Jun 13, 2020

As a gamer, geek, and "recovering engineer," I loved the theme, as well. The probability of most readers liking this story, and even relating to it - 87.32% (and yes, that is simply a SWAG) Well done, D. Holmes (does the D stand for detective? probability 11.21%, I think)

Reply

D. Holmes
03:41 Jun 14, 2020

That is a fantastic bio :) And thank you, I'm so glad you're enjoyed my story! Not good at calculating probabilities, but they're fun to write about (definitely not what my professor had in mind when he lectured on combinations and Bayes' Theorem). D wasn't meant to stand for anything (but now I really wish I had come up with Detective, that's perfect), but as you can probably guess from the Holmes, I do love murder mysteries.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Simmons
12:21 Jun 13, 2020

Congratulations on the win! Amazing story!

Reply

D. Holmes
03:26 Jun 14, 2020

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Le Roux
11:18 Jun 13, 2020

Very clever and beautifully crafted :)

Reply

D. Holmes
03:24 Jun 14, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jaycelene Puetes
07:21 Jun 13, 2020

Those numbers may tell you the truth, but it’s still a probability. It’s up to you if you want to turn it into a certainty.

Reply

D. Holmes
03:23 Jun 14, 2020

Agreed!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
06:08 Jun 13, 2020

Love it! Great writing. Short story, win. The probability at the end is hard to doubt unless you have met someone who wants to love you the way you want to be loved.

Reply

D. Holmes
03:22 Jun 14, 2020

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anjali Malik
05:21 Jun 13, 2020

Omg , absolutely fantastic dear. Keep it up and we want more stories like this. Such a fine peice of art must be by an amazing personality.

Reply

D. Holmes
03:21 Jun 14, 2020

Thanks so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
04:44 Jun 13, 2020

I was going through different winning stories, as I'm new and I really liked yours. I really like the way you have put your entire effort into this and it shows. You really deserved the win:) Kudos to you!! Do check out my story when free:)

Reply

D. Holmes
02:20 Jun 14, 2020

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Will do!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Talia Vander
04:38 Jun 13, 2020

I love how this story uses the lack of probabilities, running numbers in the character's head, as a way to show universal relationship insecurities that are unanswerable, even with a constant stream of percentages. It's really smart and unlike anything I've ever read before. Congrats on winning the weekly contest, this piece is really sweet! :D

Reply

D. Holmes
02:19 Jun 14, 2020

Thanks so much! Yep, my initial inspiration was how probabilities/statistics guide our decisions and yet in relationships we tend to favor emotion over rationale. I'm glad you enjoyed my story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Faith Chrayon
03:01 Jun 13, 2020

Wow! I love the probability theme! And the ending also gave me goosebumps! Well done! 👏👏👏

Reply

D. Holmes
03:10 Jun 13, 2020

Thank you for reading! I'm glad you liked my take on the prompt!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:51 Jun 13, 2020

I loved it.. short.. cute.. lovely.. something different..

Reply

D. Holmes
02:15 Jun 13, 2020

Thank you for reading! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mari Agbuya
01:37 Jun 13, 2020

This would make for a wonderful short film (although nothing can top this version)!

Reply

D. Holmes
02:14 Jun 13, 2020

Aah, that would be really cool! Thanks for saying so, and I'm glad you enjoyed my story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:27 Jun 13, 2020

Nice easy flow. And tightly held by a singular theme.loved the narration in 1st person.well deserved.

Reply

D. Holmes
02:13 Jun 13, 2020

Thank you for reading! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.