0 comments

Sad Friendship Fiction

As Sammy stood in the driveway his childhood memories overwhelmed him. It was here that he spent the first twenty years of his life and a place he hasn’t visited for a long time. Sammy realized how quickly life gets away from you and the past left behind.  He tried to visit his mother, Maria, over the years but living in a different state, fulfilling his career and raising a family took precedent over regular visits.  He managed to make one or two trips each year but this would be the first Christmas visit in over twenty years. Sammy and his brother, Franco, decided the visit was critical considering their mom was in her 70’s and all alone now after their dad’s passing. Sammy knew that his childhood past was an inextricable bond to Franco’s past and visiting their mom was important for all of them. The strange car in the driveway and the fresh tire marks in the snow indicated Franco had already arrived. Not much had changed in the old neighbourhood.  His family home, a two-bedroom bungalow, still sat on the corner lot with a side entrance facing the driveway. The same old cedar and spruce trees lined the perimeter of the small property. It wasn’t until recently that Sammy realized he grew up in the low-income part of town and it was clearly evident as he looked at the condition of the homes around him.  The snow-covered walkway to the side entrance was the portal into his past and he was extremely nervous about taking this journey.  

As Sammy rapped on the door and entered he made his presence known by loudly proclaiming his arrival.  

“Hello, hello. Anyone home?”

The smell of homemade spaghetti sauce permeated the air and immediately reminded Sammy of the many Christmas dinners they celebrated together.

“Oh my. Sammy is that you?” Maria excitedly screamed. “Come in, come in. Franco is here too.”

Sammy proceeded timorously into the living room where Franco stood. The two siblings stared at each other momentarily and after a moment of silence gave each other a loving hug. Maria joined them in a three way hug, kissed both of them on the cheeks and began to cry.  

“Oh my boys have finally returned. This is the best Christmas present I have ever received. I missed you both so much.” Maria blubbered as the tears continued to flow.  

After several hours of reminiscing and sharing memories a Christmas Eve dinner was on the agenda.  It was a tradition, while he was growing up, to have Christmas Eve dinner together, go to bed early and wake up to open presents on Christmas morning. This was how Sammy spent every Christmas with his mom, dad and brother but this tradition had not been celebrated this way in over twenty years. After Franco and Sammy started their own lives and moved away, these Christmas get-togethers were not to be.  

The post dinner activities consisted of simple relaxation. Franco dozed off into a deep slumber on the recliner and Maria sat and knitted to pass the time. A beautifully decorated imitation tree stood prominently in the small room. The ornaments and decorations chronicled the life and history of Sammy’s family. Forty or more years of ornaments, each purchased for a special reason, hung delicately for all to see. One particular ornament, a round glass bulb, was bought the year Franco broke his leg and wore a cast over the holiday. The message on the bulb read ‘Merry Christmas and get well soon’.  Sammy was quite impressed with his mom’s fervent actions to preserve these materialistic symbols of their holiday memories. Under the tree was one extremely large present and it seemed out of place for their get together. He wondered what his mom had bought.  Sammy purchased his mom a picture frame and put a photo of his family in it.  He placed his gift next to the large present that dominated the limited space under the tree. As past tradition dictated, they would open the gifts in the morning.  

As Franco snored and Maria quietly knitted, Sammy sat comfortably, looked around the living room and realized time stood still here. The same pictures and nick knacks lined the room.  The same carpet covered the floor and the same paint coloured the walls.  Not much had changed in twenty years.  Sammy remembered their hiding spot where he and Franco would sit in the space between the couch and the front picture window.  This was a sanctuary where they spent hours away from the real world, covering themselves with the large window curtains that hung between the window and the couch.  Sammy reached over, moved the curtain, and exposed something he had forgotten all about. The letters SP and FP, their initials, were still carved in the wooden windowsill.  Sammy was back in time and being overwhelmed with an inundation of Christmas memories but one in particular stood out.

It was like it happened yesterday but in reality was over thirty years ago. On this particular Christmas the popular gift was the Super King Sled and like every other kid, Sammy and Franco wanted one. This item was a six foot aluminum sled with a padded seating area for three or four and a steering mechanism for greater control. It was the Cadillac of sleds and in high demand.  Unfortunately that morning they unwrapped a cheap plastic Slip and Slide toboggan. Sammy remembered the disappointment he and his brother felt. Franco yelled and screamed and locked himself in his room that day. Sammy was mature enough to know there was a reason for this but still too young to understand why. He remembered his mom being very sad that day and tried not to complain. Sadly, when they finally met their friends for some sledding most of them had the Super King Sled. To make things even worse, they were teased about their Slip and Slide toboggan.  This memory stayed with Sammy for many years but it hit him hard with this visit. Over the years he came to realize, it was all a financial thing. His parents couldn’t afford the Super King Sled and they did their best to give the kids a good Christmas. He wished he could go back and thank his parents for doing their best with what they had.

After a good night’s sleep all three were up and ready to exchange gifts. Maria opened the picture frame from Sammy and a jewellery box from Franco.  She then instructed the boys to open the large gift under the tree. They were to share it.  Franco was quick to start removing the wrapping paper as Sammy stood back and watched. With only half the wrapping paper removed, Franco stopped and turned to look at Sammy. Both realized what lay in front of them. A Super King Sled.  

“What the heck is this?” Franco queried. “Where did you get this from?”

“Its an original.” Maria explained. “They don’t make it anymore.”

“They haven’t made this for thirty years.”  Sammy said

“I know.” Maria said. “I found it at a garage sale ten years ago and kept it hoping you two would be here, together, celebrating one last Christmas with me before I die.”

Both boys stood silently looking at each other, looking at their mom and looking at the sled.  

“Mom, I remember that Christmas.” Franco explained. “I was so upset but I never knew how or when to tell you I was sorry for my ungrateful behaviour.  This is unbelievable. I can’t believe you did this.”

Maria explained, “You were both young and I tried my best to make each Christmas memorable. Unfortunately this one was not a good memory. It has bothered me all these years so when I saw the sled I had to buy it and hoped this day would come.”

Sammy just stood and smiled. Both boys had tears in their eyes as they hugged their mom and thanked her continuously.  It was a wonderful day.  

The sun was shining and the snow flakes glistened as they fell from the sky. The men, acting like boys again, pulled the sled behind them as they headed toward the old hill. What used to be a mountain to them now looked like a small mound of snow and ice but it would still serve the same purpose. Sammy sat at the front of the sled with the steering controls and Franco sat behind him just like the old days.  The sled moved slowly down the hill in banal manner coming to a prosaic finish. Even though it was one of the most hum drum, boring rides it was one of the best the brothers ever had.  The tarnished and scratched sled brought them one of the happiest moments in their lives.

That Christmas day with Maria, Sammy and Franco would be their last together. Maria passed away that winter but the brothers promised each other to stay in touch and share family time and memories together.  The sled has been passed on to Sammy’s children and grandchildren over the years. Uncle Franco, as they call him, visits every Christmas and the family always shares the holiday season together.  The sled has had a few repairs and a facelift but makes its appearance every winter.  Family sledding, with the Super King Sled on Christmas Day, continues to be the tradition for this family.  

January 21, 2021 17:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.