2 comments

Christian Friendship Kids

Mended

by Amanda Stogsdill

"This call is from Teresa. To accept, press two. You can speak now." An automated female voice directed me.

"Hello?" I waited, licking my lips.

"Hi. How are you?" Teresa asked. Her voice was soft, and a little flat.

“All right,” I replied, “And you?”

"About the same. Stuck inside these four walls. Nothing to do. How's everyone?"

"We had Tyler's party last week. Same water slide as always. Until the kids get bored, that's what it'll be."

Silence. "Wish I was there." Teresa's voice trembled, "Do they ask about me?"

Yes, Tyler does sometimes. I thought. My heart felt squeezed, trying to keep this family together. Blinking furiously, I managed to tell Teresa how well Tyler and his sister were doing in school.

"Time's up." The female voice interrupted midway through. With quick I love you’s, we hung up. The phone felt cold and clammy in my hand. Until next time, I whispered in the silence.

"Aunt Lisa, I made a friend today!" Tyler bounced excitedly through the door, beaming!

"Wonderful! Who?" I appreciated any good news at this moment.

"Walter. His family's moved into the house down the street." Pouring himself a glass of milk, he flopped on the couch, forgetting my "no food in the living room" rule. Gently reminding him, we sat at the worn table. How many meals have we shared? I smiled sadly. How will we cope this Christmas?

"Well, can he?" Tyler's impatience showed on his face.

"Sorry. What was that?" I gave myself a mental shake.

"I asked if Walter could come over this weekend?"

"Maybe. Now, you can help me start supper." As we prepared chicken alfredo with broccoli, I glanced at the clock. "Shouldn't Melissa be home by now?"

"Oh yeah. I forgot, she's studying tonight with Mia. Don't wait up."

Mentally reminding myself to have a talk with Melissa later, we went through our routine—dinner, homework, a chapter, and bed. We were reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. He still likes being read to.

"I'm home!" Melissa slammed the door upon entering. About time, I frowned at the clock—nine thirty!

"Right as Violet becomes a blueberry." Tyler half grinned.

"Do you want to finish on your own?" Shaking his head, he turned on his night light. Kissing him goodnight, I softly closed his door.

"Don't start!" Melissa rolled her eyes, seeing me in the kitchen doorway. "I told Tyler!"

"I know. He only remembered after I'd mentioned you. What were you studying?"

Melissa took leftovers from the microwave. "History." She made a face, "Mia's Mom quizzed us. All those boring dates." Leaving her to her dinner, I checked on Tyler; he was sound asleep.

"Wake up. Time for school. Now!" Waking children is always a struggle, particularly teenagers. With much coaxing, both were dressed and eating breakfast with time to spare. Unlike most families, I try to make time for breakfast, as well as most meals. I believe sitting down to a family meal improves communication between parents and children. Unfortunately, my sister never practiced that, preferring to send them off with Poptarts, if anything at all. complaining about needing more time in the bathroom, Melissa gobbled her cereal and toast, and dashed off. Every morning since coming to live with me, I've had to remind them to grab their schoolbags and books. By the time their bus honked, they were ready to go. Not cheerfully, which was fine by me.

Peace at last! I thought. Doing the washing up, I planned my day. Shopping, laundry, maybe finish that Charles Dickens novel I've been putting off. His stuff is rather lengthy!

With the washing machine humming, I drove to the nearby grocery.

"How's Teresa?" The clerk asked, ringing me up. I replied she was okay. Living in a small town, everyone knows everyone else's business, whether you want them to or not!

"She shouldn't have done those awful things, you know." He continued, "Should have thought about her kids." He sneered.

Biting furiously on my cheek to keep from hurling insults, I grabbed my stuff, and swept out of the store. The people in line were staring, some sympathetically, others with undisguised hostility. Ever since Teresa’s sentencing, the gossips hadn’t stopped wagging their tongues. Many people in church no longer spoke to me. That hurt worse than the false rumors.

Walter's visit went smoothly. When Walter unpacked a new video game, the boys were glued to it for hours. "Can we eat in the living room?" Tyler pleaded. After a firm No, they reluctantly paused their game. After their hastily gobbled dinner, they were back at it, the noise much too loud! "Turn that down!" I admonished several times.

"Why?" Mom let me have it up as loud as I wanted." Tyler shot back.

"My house, my rules!" I answered, frowning. Walter complied, much to Tyler's annoyance.

"Why don't you listen to your aunt?" Walter asked that night.

"She's not my Mom!" Tyler replied, "Weird rules."

"Why do you live with her?" Tyler had been afraid of that question.

"Just do." He replied quickly, not meeting Walter's eyes. After that, the weekend continued peacefully.

****

"Kids, your Mom's calling." With the phone to my ear, I waited for the usual prompts. "This is a call from Teresa. To accept, press two. Do you accept?"

After accepting, Teresa and Tyler talked about baseball tryouts and his new friend Walter. "He came over once, and brought Super Mario!" Tyler beamed, then continued, "No, I don't have one, we used his."

Next, it was Melissa's turn. Unlike her brother, her conversation was abrupt, even cold. Answering with one-word sentences, their conversation was over in under five minutes. Both said goodbye, and Teresa's call ended.

"I didn't tell Mom that Walter asked about her. Was that wrong?" Tyler inquired at bedtime.

I thought carefully before answering. "It's up to you. Walter or Teresa don't have to know everything!" Finishing our chapter, I softly left his room.

In bed that night, my heart was heavy. Am I doing the right thing? Should they keep their Mom's secret? People were bound to gossip, Walter would hear about it, eventually.

"Lord, I don't know what to do. Only you know. I'm just trying to raise Teresa's kids. It's difficult and painful." Ending my prayer, I sank into a deep sleep.

That week began like any other. Morning routine (with coaxing), and the school rush. I had choir practice once a week, Tyler wanted to sign up for tryouts. Homework, dinner, followed by bedtime. I was exhausted; I'd forgotten how much work is involved in raising kids!

By Thursday, we were all ready for the weekend! Melissa's behavior was still very challenging, disobeying me every chance she got. She was constantly mouthing off with "Why should I? You're not my mother!" I was pretty tired of that line.

Be patient. I reminded myself. You've only had them two months. They're traumatized! Even I knew Tyler would act out sooner or later.

Sunday arrived, warm and bright. "Time to go!" I called, "And, Melissa, you are going." Church was difficult for her; Teresa had never attended regularly. Melissa's loyalty was to be expected, but church could be beneficial; they could make some friends, and learn about Jesus, too.

I was grateful for the small circle of friends whose support I still needed. "Hey, Melissa." Donna smiled, "How are you?" She was in our youth group, and sometimes stopped to talk. Melissa merely nodded, her silence speaking volumes!

Afterward, we returned home, so the kids could speak with Teresa. Only Tyler wanted to talk. Finishing, he disappeared to his room.

****** The only part Tyler understood was how Mom had gotten into trouble with the police, and was now living in a place where "people needed to learn a lesson." That was something an adult had said once, not knowing he'd overheard. How long did she have to stay there? Would he ever see her again? His stomach felt queasy at that unpleasant thought.

***** Lockers slammed, kids rushed by in a clump of sweaty bodies. Mia and Melissa managed to snatch a spot away from all the noise. "Can you come over?" Mia begged during their break.

Melissa shrugged, "Maybe. I doubt it." Her aunt had a curfew.

“Come on. You know who will probably show.” Mia flashed a teasing smile. Again, Melissa shrugged.

** "Where's your Mom?" Walter's persistence was getting to Tyler. "You never talk about her. Is she dead?"

He shook his head. Standing in the lunch line, Tyler only wanted to change the subject. "She's not around, okay? Have you signed up for the team yet?" Walter shook his head bewildered. What was that remark about his Mom supposed to mean?

Tyler hated keeping this secret; he just wasn't sure how Walter would react once he knew. Some kids had ridiculed Tyler in the beginning. "Your Mom's gone, not coming back!" They'd jeered.

***** "You're not Mom!" Melissa stormed out in a rage, slamming the door so hard the glass pane rattled in its frame. There we were, another Thursday evening. She'd wanted to visit Mia, I'd put my foot down. That had started Melissa complaining about my house rules, and how she'd had it better with her mother.

Heart pounding, I watched her stride off down the dark street. Hating confrontations, I prayed she'd return safely. A few minutes later, I called Mia's, she was definitely there. "Thank you, God!" I whispered.

****

*****

"If God is kind, why did he put Mom in that awful place?" Tyler asked after church.

Sighing, I explained how Teresa made some bad decisions in her life, but not to blame God for them. "He loves her, too." I said.

"Does she love him?" Tyler asked, gazing at me. I shook my head sadly. "She doesn't have faith." We sat silently for a while; he looked thoughtful, as if sorting everything out.

*****

"Why didn't you tell me?" Walter demanded. He and Tyler were facing each other on the deserted baseball field.

Tyler gulped, then swallowed, a giant long swallow. He knew exactly what Walter meant. "I'm sorry," Tyler whispered, turning away, "Some kids were mean when they found out. I thought you'd be mean, too."

"No. And, in case you're wondering, I won't tell." Saying this, he turned on his heel, and marched off, baseball glove jammed in his jacket pocket. Tyler was rooted to the spot, eyes on Walter's vanishing figure. Will he speak to me again? Tyler wondered. Heart heavy with guilt, he returned home.

During dinner, I noticed Walter was more subdued than usual. Whenever I brought up the subject, he said he was fine, just exhausted from baseball tryouts.

Melissa, on the other hand, was still testing me. She'd be fine for a minute, then play up the next. Weekends continued to be our biggest battles. She and Mia were constantly "needing money to go somewhere." I had nothing against her, I was aware she hung out with the wrong friends.

It wasn't until the next morning Tyler's silence was explained. "Hello. This is Tyler's teacher. Could you come to the school immediately?"

Concerned, I entered the teacher's office, wondering what this was about.

"Tyler and a classmate were fighting today," His teacher began, "It appeared to be about his mother."

"Oh." I said, heart sinking, "What will happen to them?"

"We made the boys apologize to each other. Walter broke them up." She added. I smiled, glad he was a friend who understood. Both would be suspended tomorrow. Thanking her, Walter and I went home.

"What happened?" I asked that night.

"A boy said Mom was a loser, and should stay where she belongs." He said, not meeting my eyes. "Walter knows, too. The same boy mentioned it to him."

"I am sorry!" I now understood the reason for his quietness. Then, I told him many of my friends had stopped speaking to me.

"I think he's still angry I didn't tell him myself." He continued.

"Don't let this ruin your friendship," I took his hand, "Don't let the sun go down on your anger." I said, wondering if he'd understand. Sighing, Tyler said he'd think about it.

When Tyler returned to school, I reminded him again about not remaining angry. "I know." He muttered, but I could see he was taking in my advice.

I was pleasantly surprised when I hadn't heard from his school the entire day. Must be a good one! I thought. Collecting him, his teacher gave me a positive update. He and the boy he’d fought with were civil to one another. Walter wasn't mentioned on the ride home, either.

Melissa had gone camping with Donna’s teen group. Only Donna could talk to her. Melissa had enjoyed it; she and some of the girls sometimes studied together. With Mia, of course.

Two weeks after Tyler's suspension, I received good news—he and Walter were speaking again. Not quite best friends terms, but it was a start. "He's trying out for baseball too." Tyler announced. With the tryouts approaching, Tyler became obsessed with pitching and catching.

Church friends continued to be a comfort to me. Melissa and Tyler still weren't participating in Sunday school, but I was okay with that. I prayed they'd make friends soon. Our choir had begun rehearsing. Melissa was still on the fence about it, but Donna was slowly encouraging her to just come to a rehearsal.

"This is a call from Teresa. Do you accept?" That familiar female voice. "Hello, Teresa."

"Hi," Teresa's voice was emotionless, as if resigned to her fate, "How's things?"

"Fine. Church is going well. Our choir rehearsals are slowly coming together, Melissa is considering joining! Oh, Tyler wants to talk."

"Hi, Mom. Guess what? I made the baseball team. Walter's pitcher. Can I see you?"

Teresa's smile and enthusiastic reply could be heard and felt down the line, "I'd love that!"

The End

September 14, 2024 00:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Mary Bendickson
00:47 Sep 16, 2024

Making adjustments.

Reply

Amanda Stogsdill
22:49 Sep 16, 2024

Thanks for that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.