0 comments

Contemporary Sad Teens & Young Adult

The floorboard creaked as I climbed up the stairs. I stopped once I arrived at the third story of my cousin's house. I checked my phone. 4:45. I had fifteen minutes until Amelia gots suspicious, I thought hastily.

I take deep breaths to try and calm my nerves. Then I move down the hallway. I pick up my phone and turn on my flashlight. My pupils shrink at the sudden light, but I blink it off and walk forward. I suddenly stop and press my back into the wall.

Idiot! They might have cameras installed. A thought hisses. I slowly lift the light around the hallway, checking the corners for any surveillance. There’s none. I continue to move towards the door at the end of the corridor. A few pictures and I’ll be done. It will all be over.

My heart pounds and with every step I take and it spreads to the base of my skull then back down to my hematite ring I was fiddling with. One part of me was begging to take it off, walk downstairs and confess to my cousin Amelia that I had been lying to her and Yara! Another part told me that there was no other choice.

It’s the only way! A thought assures me. My eyes meet the cool shine of the metallic door. Just beyond that door contains over ten thousand dollars' worth of gemstones.

Is it really? I second guess the voice, squatting down and looking at keypad. This isn't just her inheritance, it's Amelia’s heritage we're talking about. I question my own thought.

And this is your health we're talking about! Remember what they said, if you do this then no more beatings. No more yelling or bruises. No more hiding. You can be free from them. It shouts and I immediately wince. I try to smooth out the painful pulse on my left hand as the ring feels as though it is overheating.

They did promise that. I agreed with the other thought, tapping the camera icon and trying to get a clear photo.

But…

But what?

It’s not like they’ve promised this before.

What’s that supposed to mean? They meant what they said. They had to!

They didn’t stop the harsh words when I got perfect grades. Memories play as I remembered the words which stung me. The sharpest of them all was…

Disappointment. My breath hitched. That’s what you will be if you don’t do this for them. I covered my ears; the word spun around in my mind.

“Stop it!” I commanded. I gasped and covered my mouth. My eyes danced around the hallway and checked for any other movement. What time is? I thought and glanced at the top of my phone. 

4:50. Just get it done already and head downstairs! It snapped and my hands trembled as I pressed the button. I needed to focus. I noticed that the keypad was larger than normal. I ran my hands underneath the metallic surface and discovered that there was most likely another security measure.

Typing in my search engine the details, I pray the internet would find something useful. I scroll down the sites, my eyes flying up and down with each stroke.

Yes, I found it. I was considering against doing a victory dance. Luck has been avoiding me all my life, but now it seems like it wants me to betray my cousin. My friend. A vibration from my phone nearly made me drop my phone. I didn’t, but I looked at it warily, expecting my parents or Amelia to have messaged me. A cork popped, and all my guilt sprayed me in my face, leaving me with trembling lips.

Yara had texted me. Yara. The person who had gotten into a fistfight to save me from getting bullied earlier today. The girl who had forced Amelia and I to sit down and talk through our problems. The problem being me framing Amelia for something I had done. That had always been the wine stain on our relationship. And Yara helped scrub it out. 

"How's your face? It looked pretty busted last time I saw it," the text read." I chuckled before I shook my head.

“What am I doing?” I whisper, my hoarse voice on the edge of tears.

Your protecting yourself. She would understand. The voice blurted and my hands shook. 

“I, I can’t do this.” I stand up and hover my finger over the delete button. My phone vibrates and I nearly throw it up in the air. It was my mom. My blood ran cold. I answered the call.

“Vila!” She said with cool anger. “Explain to me why you can not do something as simple as taking a few photos!” I winced, feeling shame as I tried to think of an excuse.

“I-I-”

“Stop. With. The. Stuttering. And say it clearly.” She cut me off, and I took a handful of uneven breaths.

“Slow Wi-Fi.” I blurted out. I could feel her glare burning through the phone. “I was sending you the photos when you called.”

“Oh. So it is my fault for your incompetence then?”

“No!” I quickly quiet my voice, “Of course not. It’s my fault. I’m sorry.” Though she was miles away, I could imagine her eye roll. 

“Have you found any other information? Or was it pointless trusting you after all?" Please forgive me, Amelia. I thought as I swallowed the shame of what I’m about to do.

“I also found out what type of security system they have. I’ll send you the link. But that is all of the security they have for the room.” I admit, pressing send with the photos and the link. It was quiet on the line and I heard my message coming through.

“Looks like you are not a total disappointment after all.” She said and a bit of pride flew through my veins. Followed by my guilt. “A driver will pick you up in five minutes. Be there outside. Understand?”

“Yes, Ma’am.” I lowly replied. She ended the call, and I slowly limped down the stairs. I stopped by a bathroom and took a good look my face. Bruised by a bully that Yara had defeated. She had helped me deal with the bullies at school. Would she be able to help me from the ones at home?

Forget about her rescuing you. You just rescued yourself. Remember?

Yeah, no more beatings. 

No more for the rest of your life, It reminds me as I slump out of the bathroom. I head downstairs to the living room and find Amelia on her phone.

“You okay? You were in the bathroom for a while.” She asked, her eyebrow cocked. No, I’m not. I answered in my head.

“I have to go now,” I said, moving towards the coat.

“Oh, so soon.” Disappointment laced her voice, but I ignored it.

“My parents want me back home to talk about school.” I explain, grabbing my coat. “Thanks for having me over and we’ll talk more tomorrow.” I tell her, closing the door and heading to the black limo. I step into the car and look out the window, just wanting silence for my thoughts.

November 13, 2020 21:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.