0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Friendship



Delvin Carter was sweating as he made his way through the crowds. His perspiration was due to more than the summer heat. He hated crowds. Bad things happened when large groups of people gathered. Delvin had learned that the hard way.

No matter how many times I say I’m not doing this again, he thought, here I am again.

A young woman gripped his hand.

“This is going to be so much fun,” she said. “I can’t wait for the fireworks.”

Delvin forced a smile and said, “I’m sure it will be great, Lacy.”

Lacy leaned in and kissed Delvin’s cheek, and his smile became genuine.

“I’m going to get a beer and some water,” he said. “Do you want anything?”

“Just get me whatever you are having. I saw Bradley and Gina near the fountain.”

She pointed toward the white fountain. Delvin saw the large purple and gold umbrella that Bradley always brought to these events.

“It is embarrassing to sit under that thing,” Delvin said. “He knows I’m a Bulldog fan.”

Lacy laughed.

“You know that’s exactly why he does it.”

Delvin shook his head. 

“Next year, he will be sitting under our red and black umbrella.”

He kissed her quickly and slapped her butt as she walked away.

Delvin watched her depart before heading to the drink stand.

He ran his hand through his hair. The motion was less to fix his hair and more to subtly to see if his hands were shaking. 

There was a slight tremble, but nothing close to what he had experienced a few years ago. Lacy knew of some of his anxieties, but he had not told her everything. Delvin did not want to burden her with his problems. His therapist had said that speaking to Lacy more would help, but Delvin was hesitant. Lacy had done much to keep Delvin’s mental health in check. But he feared revealing too much.

There will be time for that.


Delvin handed Lacy a cup of beer and a bottle of water. He then pulled another bottle of water from his pocket before he sat down in the grass. 

Bradley motioned to a folding canvas chair.

“Devlin, we have more than enough chairs.”

After taking a sip of beer, Bradley said, “It is punishment enough to sit under this abomination. I won't further defile myself by putting my ass in a tiger’s mouth.”

Bradley, Gina, and Lacy roared with laughter. 

Bradley recovered and then said, “Your loyalty is admirable if misplaced.”

Delvin flipped him off, and Bradley responded by blowing him a kiss. Delvin laughed and held his beer up in salute. Bradley did the same, and they fell to talking about the upcoming concert. 

As the sun sunk lower in the sky, Delvin grew more anxious. 

Bradley took notice but did not want to draw attention to Delvin. Bradley slipped his phone from his pocket and sent Delvin a text. 

‘Are you feeling ok?’

Delvin saw his phone screen light up and glanced at the device. Seeing the message, Delvin nodded once.

Bradley felt a little better seeing Delvin’s response. Had Delvin shrugged, Bradley would have known that Delvin was not okay. Neither Lacy nor Gina had noticed the brief exchange as they continued their conversion without interruption.

“Delvin,” Bradley said, “are you guys going home after this?”

Delvin looked at Lacy, who had focused on him as well.

“We had planned to,” Delvin said as he focused on Bradley. “Why do you ask?”

Bradley pulled out a large plastic jug filled with a red liquid.

Lacy clapped her hands while Gina rolled her eyes. 

Delvin shook his head. 

“Let me guess,” he said. “You got a room.”

Bradley smiled.

“I hope you got a room with two beds.”

Bradley nodded.

“I did.”

Gina sighed.

“I remember talking about getting a room, but I did not know it would be a necessity because you were bringing Red Death.

Bradley said nothing. He simply began to pour the liquid into his cup.

Delvin shook his head, tossed the remains of his beer onto the grass, and handed the cup to Bradley.

“I submit to the inevitable.”

Gina rolled her eyes.

She looked for support from Lacy, but Lacy had already started on her first cup of Red Death.

“Damn,” Gina said. “I will stick to beer because someone will have to be sober enough to carry all this stuff and get us to the hotel.”

“Thanks, Gina,” Bradley said as he took a long sip.


Devlin stood cheering with the crowd as the tribute band played a litany of classic rock songs. The ground vibrated with the rhythm of the music coming from the massive speaker system. At one time, that motion would have triggered a negative reaction. But now, it merely reminded him of a troubled time in his life. Lacy leaned against Devlin as the effects of the Red Death began to take its toll on her. Gina had gone to find a restroom, and Bradley stood in front of his chair, tapping his foot to the music. Devlin finished the last of his drink and, thanks to Lacy, half walked, half stumbled to the water bottle he had left in the cupholder in his chair’s armrest. Devlin carefully placed Lacy in his chair. Her head slumped forward, and she began to lightly snore.

Devlin swallowed half of the water and released a sigh.

He looked at Bradley and said, “Thanks for inviting us.”

Bradley nodded.

“I’m glad you came. I was worried that you would say no.”

Devlin looked down at the ground for a moment.

When he looked back up, he said, “I almost did. It was Lacy who insisted we come.”

He looked at Lacy’s sleeping form and smiled.

“She is the best thing that has happened to me in a long time. She might be the best thing that has ever happened to me.”

Bradley nodded.

“Well, no matter how it happened, I’m just glad you two came. Considering the issues you have, it took courage for you to show up.”

Devlin ran his hand through his hair.

“I can’t live like a hermit. Life will go on whether I participate or not. I might as well join the party while I can, right?”

Bradley smiled.

“Tha party is not the same without you, Devlin.”

Before Devlin could reply, Gina walked over to them.

“We have to go right now.”

Bradley and Devlin looked at each other.

Bradley asked, “What’s wrong?”

Gina crossed one leg over the other and said, “I have to pee like a racehorse, and the line for the bathroom is forever long. We need to go to the hotel.”

Devlin began to laugh.

“You should have gone before we left.”

Gina glared at him.

“Screw you, Devlin. I am about to wet my pants, and you are making jokes.”

Bradley stood up and said, “Okay, let's find you a bathroom or at least a dark corner.” 

He turned to Devlin.

“Do you mind watching our stuff till we get back?”

Devlin nodded.

“Of course. Lacy is passed out anyway.”

“Thank you,” Gina said as she bounced up and down. “Can we go now?”

Bradley took her arm and led her away.

“We’ll be back,” he called over his shoulder. 

Devlin watched them leave, then focused on the band again. He thought back on the day. Everything that took place should have triggered every issue that he had. But that had not happened. 

He knew that his reactions had been dulled significantly by the alcohol he had consumed. But he did not care. He had a great time, and he had his girlfriend to thank for that. Devlin walked over to Lacy and kissed her on the forehead. She mumbled something, then went back to sleep. Devlin sat down next to her and watched as the band finished its song.











September 18, 2023 01:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.