13 comments

Fiction Funny

Don’t panic. Don’t panic. As long as the exam questions don’t involve the French and Indian War, or anything from like the 1700-1900s, I’m golden. 

Well here we go…

Name: Jennifer Carver (Do we get points for our name? I hope so, and it seems fair to give points here.) 

 Please read the questions carefully and answer completely for full credit. 

Question 1: Evaluate the extent to which the Seven Years' War (French and Indian War, 1754–1763) marked a turning point in American relations with Great Britain. Further analyze what changed and what stayed the same from the period before the war to the period after it. Cite specific examples from the course readings, as well as additional sources you have utilized throughout the course. 

Funny you should ask this, Professor Davies. You see, while this episode in history is probably extremely important, the episodes of Ted Lasso were far more pivotal this semester, in my opinion. I’m sure the Seven Years’ War established a lot of things. Like, really great things no doubt. The French and the Indians probably had a hearty handshake following that fight. LIke after the soccer matches in the show. And that war, it’s like when Rebecca gets a divorce in Ted Lasso, and things are rotten, but then she’s able to cope with things. I’m sure that’s how things worked out for both sides of that war. Because a divorce can be like a war, right? Am I right? Two sides that can’t seem to find a solution. Then the lawyers get involved. Then there are all those fees. Like in a war. Like! In the Seven Years’ War! I’m not sure the total dollar amount in damages. It very well could have been in the article you gave us to read (that I really did intend to read eventually), “Implications of the Seven Years’ War”. And if I had to wager a guess, it was probably on page 3, because page 1 and 2 were likely backstory information before the real meat of the article. That’s generally how these articles run. Right? But we all know that nobody actually really reads them all the way. A good skim is a good skim, Professor.  

So now to address what stayed the same and what changed, before and after the war. Well, I’d have to say that people never really change. Take my ex, Paul. He said he was at the library studying, but do you know where he really was? Studying Rachel Sanders in her dorm room. Of course I believed him when he said he was studying, but then when Melissa told me she saw them going to a party and leaving from Rachel’s, I confronted the traitor. Wars are full of traitors, and the French and Indian War likely had traitors just as despicable as Paul. And that war lasted seven years. I’m fortunate my relationship with Paul didn’t last that long. I wasted long enough on him. But you know what? I do miss him. Those were three very intense weeks that we dated, Professor Davies. It’s like even when things end, are they really over? Like, did the French people and the Indian people just go back to the way things were? You can’t just forget when someone wrongs you. Maybe the French accidentally keyed the Indian’s cars in the middle of the night because they had a few drinks and it made them feel better. Maybe the French threw eggs at the Indian’s apartment door. Are these war crimes, or means for a restraining order? I think not. 

Question 2: In a well-developed essay, discuss the importance of Jonathan Swift’s “A Modest Proposal”, published in 1729, as it related to the economic state of Ireland. 

Jonathan Swift was way out of line with this entire thing. I mean, even if conditions were bad in Ireland, the solution is not to eat children and sell them. Yeah, I guess it would reduce the number of Catholics in Ireland and stimulate the economy and help with food shortages and all, but I’m really not sure if it’s ethical. I’m a vegetarian, so if I were living in Ireland I would not even eat chicken let alone children. What would all the vegetarians in Ireland in the 1700s do if this were their only option? When I became a vegetarian it was because I love animals so much and couldn’t eat them. I also love children, so I would not have been able to eat them either. Paul was not a vegetarian but I was ok with that because I was so in love with him. I wonder if Rachel is a vegetarian or if she eats meat like Paul. He probably broke up with me because I’m a vegetarian and don’t think he should have ten-cent wings on Fridays at the bar. Those were innocent chickens who lost their wings and can no longer fly because he enjoys them in a sweet and spicy sauce appetizer. But in the sense of economics, as with Ireland, maybe it makes sense. Maybe not everyone can afford to eat fresh fruit and vegetables all the time. I think Ireland also had some potato issues, so there’s that too. Paul loved mashed potatoes. He may even have been Irish. If he didn’t break up with me like literally right before exams I would have had more time to look things over, Professor Davies. But Paul doesn’t care if he ruins my life. Paul only cares about Rachel and her short leather skirts. 

Question 3: What was the Indian Removal Act of 1830? In a well developed essay, explain how it affected Native Americans. How did the Trail of Tears have an impact on the Cherokee and other Native Americans?

The Indian Removal Act was an underhanded and dirty way to get rid of people that were once very important to America and then BAM! Just send them on their way as if they weren’t already planning Thanksgiving Dinner with their families, complete with matching shirts. And we all know the Indians were very important for Thanksgiving Dinner. So maybe now Paul will be having Thanksgiving Dinner with Rachel instead. But will I cry a Trail of Tears about it? Will I lay awake at night texting and posting my poems about him on Instagram? Maybe. Does it impact him like things impacted the Cherokee and other Native Americans? Why isn’t Paul crying a Trail of Tears over me? He told me I was the first girl who really “got him” and appreciated him the way he should be. But do we know a good thing when we have it or are we quick to just “relocate” people for other people. Know who should be crying a trail of tears? It’s Paul. Because he will be sorry he lost me. Just like America was sorry they lost the Native Americans. And then they tried to get them back. They didn’t call campus security every time one showed up unexpectedly. But everything will be just fine. My therapist said everything will be just fine! Maybe the Native Americans have closure now after everything that transpired. And I’ll have closure just. Like. Them. 

Click here to Submit Answers. Grades will be posted three days after the last scheduled exam date. Best of luck! 

November 10, 2023 23:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Michał Przywara
22:29 Nov 15, 2023

Ha! Well, if you can't succeed you might as well fail awesomely :) We can clearly see recent events have been rather distracting for Jennifer, so maybe her lack of preparation is understandable. Then again, given her familiarity with the material, maybe there was never any hope. On the other hand, given this is a history test, maybe she's hit on something truly insightful: “Well, I’d have to say that people never really change.” We do seem to keep repeating the same cycles over and over, no? “but I’m really not sure if it’s ethical.” :...

Reply

Nina H
02:06 Nov 16, 2023

To “fail awesomely” may be poor heartbroken Jennifer’s fate here!! “Pray to the curve” indeed!! I’m happy you found her little insightful moments amidst the car keying and door egging confessions! You’ve a keen eye for those things, Michał! Since it’s only the midterm, I have hope her heart will heal by finals 😂 Thanks for reading!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
17:36 Nov 14, 2023

Haha this was a lot of fun, Nina! Very creative structure. Thanks for sharing

Reply

Nina H
00:00 Nov 15, 2023

I wasn’t sure how to structure it exactly and then just went with what you see! It was a fun write! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
14:39 Nov 13, 2023

Oh this is a fun read. Points for linking ‘current’ events to historical events and finding the similarities. Does this show A grade thinking? Hmmm not sure. Haha

Reply

Nina H
16:07 Nov 13, 2023

Technically she even cited a source! Well, sort of… This could have been one of your character’s essays left in her husbands car!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
05:28 Nov 13, 2023

Jennifer Carver does get points for her name, and darn Rachel! Stealing her Paul from her. Though maybe she was better off without him, and Im sure he deserved the eggs ;) 'Are these war crimes, or means for a restraining order? ' Thanks!

Reply

Nina H
16:09 Nov 13, 2023

Lol! Yes, sounds like she’s better off moving on from Paul! Maybe she can find someone else to wear matching holiday shirts with now!!! Thanks for reading, Marty!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kailani B.
18:54 Nov 12, 2023

I think students who can creatively answer questions should definitely get extra points!

Reply

Nina H
20:37 Nov 12, 2023

Definitely! 😂 and she *did* tie in her heartbreak to major historical events soooo….!! Thanks for reading!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
15:35 Nov 11, 2023

I see the prompts sunk in this week! Looks like you managed not one but two stories 🎉🎉 I'm sure you see a lot of exams like this in middle school 😂 poor girl though. A break up before midterms has got to be rough. Certainly worthy of skipping a few reading assignments and binge watching Ted Lasso (amazing show, btw). If anything the MC should get some credit for making some thoughtful connections between the historical wars and the war-like experience of going through a break up. A fun little satire, thanks for a light morning read to star...

Reply

Nina H
17:13 Nov 11, 2023

Yes, this was a late game entry! And you really would be surprised what kids will write and turn in!!! I think that’s where my inspiration came from for sure!!! I’m glad it worked trying to answer the question somewhat but then bringing it back to her own life. The part about Swift’s “modest proposal” actually happened to an extent when I was in college. A girl in my seminar class rose atop a mighty soapbox proclaiming we should not eat babies. She didn’t understand it was satire. 😂 I died in my chair that day. 🤣

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
23:16 Nov 11, 2023

I remember doing peer reviews in high school and looking at some of my classmates like.... WTF is this? 😂 I can only imagine what middle school kids are writing.. Oh nooooo, poor girl missed the satire train, whoops 🤭 Glad you cleared out some of those cobwebs and got out two fun stories this week! Hope this weeks writing goes smoothly (for you and me both!)🤞

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.