A BEST LAID PLAN

Written in response to: Start your story with the line “I’ve got a plan”. ... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

“I’ve got a plan” shouted Sadie. Before I give you details I must tell you about Hades.

Hades is the underworld where dwell the souls of those who died on earth. Dear Reader! You know that souls are transported across the river Styx by boatman Charon to the underworld. Souls don’t die, remain in the prime of life, don’t age, and once transported to Hades I suppose they could continue their machinations.

I have now to narrate a story from the past. A young woman of easy virtue by name Sadie Thompson was on an ocean liner en route to a land to which she needed to migrate. On the ship, along with other passengers were the missionary couple the Davidsons. I will refer to them as Dave and Kate. The ship is quarantined at an island. Sadie goes about her usual activity seducing people and crew. Dave and Kate watch with great concern her sinning ways. Spurred by his wife Dave strives to reform Sadie. He does it in various ways even threatening to expose her calling to the authorities of the possible host country. After days the quarantine is lifted and the ship proceeds to destination. On the day the ship docks, Dave commits suicide. Sadie says before leaving the ship “You men are all the same.......Pigs!” Dave has atoned for his sinning with the sinner! After their time on earth Kate and Sadie also reach Hades.

I will now continue the story from here: Dave, Kate and Sadie are together in Hades. Sadie considers Dave as a fraud who has used her to satisfy his libido concealing his primary aim which was to reform her. She feels she has a score to settle with Dave and has thought up a plan. That was what had made her shout she had a plan at the start. She asks in all apparent innocence “Is there a possibility that we would get back life if we can reverse ford the Styx in which case my plan will work? “

He says “I’m not sure.”

“Suppose I manage to trick Charon the boatsman to get the 3 of us back in human form?”

Dave said “Do it if you can. I don’t mind.”

Charon interrupts his onerous duties to have lunch and some rest that day. Finishing his food he relaxes near his boat which is anchored at a quay on the Styx. Sadie walks near him and tempts him. She knows how to be sensuous and bold and in moments he has a good time with her. Soon he lies in a deep sleep. The boat is now under her control. She signals to Dave who helps her to heave the sleep- dazed Charon out of the boat. Kate joins in and the boat sets out to cross the Styx in the reverse direction – an unusual and surprising trip! Once they are ashore, they anchor the boat to a quay and leave. They had now become normal human beings and could be seen: They were now totally nude!

Kate shouts “Sadie it’s alright with me and him. I insist you find some clothing for yourself. We seem to be on a beach spotted with trees. Turn around and walk away. Cover yourself fast with leaves at least.”

That done they hail a fishing craft which takes them along as they claim they had been shipwrecked. Clothes are given to the 3 ‘rescued’. Soon they are dropped on the lonely island of RuRu. A saint there welcomes them and provides them food and water. He says “I’ve a small one roomed hut with a kitchen. You could stay there.”

The three occupy the hut which they find comfortable. Night fell and now came the problem of one man having to sleep with two women though one of them was his wife!

 Kate said “Dave you sleep by my side. Sadie will sleep on the other side of me. The electric light will be on all the time.”

 I would have liked Sadie to continue the narration but as you read further you will find it won’t be possible. Let me continue to write about the happenings.

Sadie was determined to teach Dave a lesson for having preached to her besides having had a good time with her.  She said within herself “I’m quite experienced and can say he was good in bed. Kate is older than me. But I was more experienced with the ways of men and I am sure I had given him a good time. The time for revenge has now come.”

She heard him snoring. He would snore after he had been with her! But Kate was awake. Expecting Sadie could be awake Kate said “Sadie do you think we would live happily in RuRu?”

Sadie didn’t answer and pretended to be fast asleep, and even started snoring. In moments she mumbled loudly “No. Not again Dave. Kate, Kate is here beside us.”

That did it! With a low wail Kate was up and was moving.  Suddenly Sadie heard Kate ranting “Dave you rascal! You said you were true to me but you bedded this whore. I now know what you were doing with her while you said you were preaching. You deserve to die. I’ve this knife from the kitchen. It’s good enough. You’re a fraud. Die!”

Dave screamed as he said “You have stabbed me. My blood is flowing out.”

He shouted “Kate you also don’t deserve to live.”

He was tall and well-built and was trying to strangle Kate. She somehow managed to get out of his grasp and shouted “I must kill you Sadie. You led him to lay you.”

Sadie shouted the first thing that came to her: “I didn’t tempt him. It was he who said you were no good in bed.”

Kate said “The gumption of the rascal!”

Kate seized a tool used to hammer ingredients while cooking and smashed it on Sadie’s head. Sadie collapsed almost silently with a mere groan.

Dave was watching the developments. He again caught Kate in his grip and choked the life out of her. In moments Dave also fell dead.

All three souls were now back on Charon’s boat. The boatman laughed and said “You thought you could escape from Hades! I’m now taking you once more across the Styx. You shall dwell there forever.”

Had Sadie’s plan succeeded? Had Sadie settled the score with Dave? 

END

 NOTE: I have derived the characters of my story from the story MISS THOMPSON by Somerset Maugham.

*

October 30, 2022 05:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.