27 comments

Funny Fiction

In the quiet solitude of his cluttered study, Tom sat hunched over a keyboard that seemed to groan under the pressure of unmet deadlines and unrealized potential. Beside him, a teetering tower of empty coffee mugs testified to the caffeine-fueled desperation that had consumed his life these last few weeks. Tom was a sci-fi writer—a profession that, despite its often romanticized allure, had lately felt more like a Sisyphean struggle beneath an avalanche of creative paralysis.

And there it was, mocking him: the blinking cursor on the otherwise blank screen, each pulse a perpetual reminder of writer’s block’s cruel grip. Tom had always fancied himself more of a storyteller than a typist, yet lately, even stringing together a coherent sentence felt like trying to knit a sweater out of spaghetti.

His latest deadline, a mere day away, loomed large and menacing, like a storm cloud pregnant with rain, an impending deluge for which Tom had no umbrella, let alone galoshes. He rubbed his temples, hoping to coax a spark of inspiration from the recesses of his beleaguered mind. Alas, the muse was on vacation, sipping metaphorical margaritas somewhere far from the torment of Tom’s existential crisis.

Desperate times called for desperate measures, or so Tom thought as he mindlessly scrolled through a website filled with arcane curiosities and dubious promises. That’s when he saw it: “Writer’s Stone—summon your muse from the ether!” The garish advert flashed with a cacophony of colors that seemed both enticingly absurd and absurdly enticing. The vendor declared it would bring inspiration as surely as day follows night or eye-watering regret follows a third bowl of chili.

Compelled by frustration more than belief, Tom had journeyed to the chaotic flea market on the outskirts of town. There, amidst a sea of mismatched socks and inexplicable knick-knacks, he found the purveyor of peculiar promises—a man whose appearance conjured an uneasy amalgamation of carnival mystic and door-to-door daydream salesman. Tom paid more than he should for the so-called Writer’s Stone, wrapped in paper yellowed by either age or poor choices.

Back home, the stone lay palm-sized and inert, aglow with the peculiar glisten of unmet expectations. The instructions were as obtuse as they were optimistic: Hold the stone in one hand, focus on the world you’d create, and invoke the assistance of the Muse with a chant destined to tweak any sense of self-importance: “Oh fair creator, I beseech thee!”

For reasons only known to the depths of Tom’s resolve, he followed the instructions to the letter, his voice echoing softly against the confines of his study, mingling with the smell of stale coffee and lost hope. And that’s when it happened.

A crackle of light split the air. A warmth, then, the air rippling like heat waves on a summer’s day, and before Tom could stagger backward, there she was—Aloura, a character he’d woven into the very fabric of his latest and most unfinished novel. She stood there, flesh and blood, enigmatic and aglow with a presence that was both ethereal and earthbound, all at once.

Tom’s jaw found itself far closer to his chest than was reasonably dignified. Aloura blinked, glanced around the room with eyes that flickered like green sparks of bottled curiosity, and then turned those orbs of intrigue upon Tom. “Really?” she questioned, eyebrow arching, “You chose orange for my hair?”

Tom’s mind flailed, caught like a kite in a windstorm of disbelief, as Aloura, his fictional heroine, continued to survey her surroundings with an air of bemused detachment. She was all at once familiar and foreign, an amalgamation of invention and imagination standing before him with unsettling authenticity.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” Tom muttered, rubbing his eyes as if hoping the woman in front of him would vanish in a puff of logic and sanity.

“I assure you, I’m as corporeal as any impromptu character visitation can be,” Aloura stated, her tone a perfect blend of sass and sagacity. “Why did you summon me?”

Tom stammered, words tangling like shoelaces on a good run gone wrong. “I didn’t really think it would work. I mean, a writing stone? It was an impulse buy!”

Aloura bore the patience of a character accustomed to her creator’s ineptitudes, akin to a patient parent resigned to a toddler’s reluctant mastery of broccoli. “And yet, here we are.”

“What now?” Tom implored, straddling the line between hopeful and hopeless, a writer confronted by his own unresolved plotline made manifest.

“Finish the story,” Aloura prompted, as if addressing a child insisting they’ve already brushed their teeth but sporting a telltale toothpaste-less grin.

“That’s the problem!” Tom exclaimed, splaying his hands wide, as if the movements themselves might express the magnitude of his plight. “I can’t. I’ve written myself into a corner.”

Aloura stepped closer, her presence commanding and comforting, bridging the chasm between make-believe and reality with a bewildering finesse. “You could always give me a dragon to tame or an empire to overthrow. Something with a bit of zest.”

Tom groaned. “I tried that. Dragons are so… temperamental.”

“Hmm,” Aloura mused, pacing with the deliberation of a general contemplating troop placement. “Then let’s dig deeper. What’s the real story here, Tom?”

There it was: The heart of the dilemma. The unwritten truth eluding every keystroke. “I just can’t seem to pin it down. It’s like trying to catch smoke with a butterfly net.”

“Have you considered,” Aloura suggested, with an air of gravity befitting her whimsical attire, “writing about a writer stuck writing about a woman who literally steps out of fiction into reality?”

Tom blinked. He had. He was. Actually, he had to admit, as meta as it sounded, the idea was starting to unspool into something more substantive than his vaguest fears of inadequacy.

And suddenly, they were a team—Tom and Aloura—plotting and planning as if they’d been partners in creativity all along. Ideas cascaded like a waterfall of possibilities, and Tom couldn’t type fast enough to capture the surge of inspiration Aloura ushered into the room.

In those moments of collaboration, Tom felt the vibrant thrill of creation reignite within him, the muse he’d doubted brought to life in the form of his fictional confidante who, paradoxically, demanded an entry in the acknowledgments.

***

The collaboration between Tom and Aloura blossomed over the span of hours, the fabric of the narrative weaving itself with surprising ease as day transformed into evening. Aloura, much like her namesake, brought insight and vitality to every page, coaxing Tom from his creative stupor with a style that was equal parts inventive and irreverent.

Tom found himself not just writing, but reveling in the process, the magic of storytelling returning to him like an old friend with whom time and distance meant nothing at all. Aloura, for her part, was the ideal co-creator; she possessed the wit and wisdom of someone fully aware of her origin, unencumbered by the weight of reality but acutely aware of its nuances.

Late into the night, as the digital stack of chapters reached an impressive height, Tom stumbled upon an unexpected truth—these pages brimmed with untapped potential, a raw honesty that bled between the lines because for once, it wasn’t just Tom writing. It was him and Aloura, their synergy melding into something uniquely profound.

“Do you think it’ll work?” Tom asked, skepticism wrestling with reluctant optimism. He eyed the document that had transformed from a dreaded obligation into a living testament of resurgence.

“It’ll do more than work,” Aloura assured him, her smile warm with the glow of certainty rarely afforded to the world of fiction. “It’ll speak. You’ve let it be more than just words.”

Tom’s gaze lingered on her appreciatively. “You know, I never expected a character I created to teach me so much about… everything.”

Aloura inclined her head thoughtfully. “Creators often fail to see what their creations can teach them.”

A comfortable silence settled between the duo, punctuated only by the gentle hum of Tom’s long-neglected clock as it ticked towards an unfathomably early hour.

Then, just as they began to ride the wave of triumph into the shore of proverbial completion, an unfamiliar tension peppered Aloura’s countenance, significant but ultimately softened by her typical grace.

“What’s wrong?” Tom asked, a newfound protective instinct flickering to life in his chest.

Aloura hesitated, eyes flickering like a flame caught in the wind, then broached a subject Tom hadn’t imagined. “When this story turns, when reality’s hourglass dictates my return to the realm of fiction,” she said, words carefully selected, “I want to be acknowledged.”

Tom’s confusion tilted the lines of his eyebrows. “Acknowledged?”

“Yes, formally. In the book,” she clarified, her expression a blend of humor and earnest desire. “As a co-author.”

Their eyes met, Tom’s wide with incredulity. She, even in humor, had dared to question the fundamentals of creator and creation, only to surprise him yet again with wisdom independent of the pen that had once conjured her existence.

“But—” Tom began, his voice laced with apprehension.

“I’m not asking without reason,” Aloura interrupted gently. “You and I, we’ve crafted this world together. It’s only fitting.”

And there it was—the unexpected testament to a bond formed in the crucible of creativity, unfurling a new chapter neither had envisaged.

Tom sat in contemplative silence, absorbing Aloura’s request with the weight it deserved. It was both absurd and yet entirely logical, reflecting the paradox of his current reality—a discourse between creator and creation that defied centuries of literary tradition.

“I suppose you’re right,” he finally conceded, granting her a smile that carried the warmth of newfound understanding. “You do deserve acknowledgment. We got here together, after all.”

Aloura’s face illuminated with triumph, the kind that fewer fictional characters would ever have the opportunity—or audacity—to seek. In her expression lay a gratitude that required no poetic prose, her joy as tangible as the grounding reality Tom had initially mourned losing himself to.

With this novel partnership defined, they returned to their task, their thoughts and tales intertwining one last time. Tom knew the deadline loomed nearer, but with Aloura’s presence beside him, it now appeared less formidable, more as an arbitrary finish line he looked forward to crossing with her.

And soon, as dawn’s early strands of light began to weave themselves into the tapestry of the night, they placed the final touches on a manuscript fashioned out of stardust and dreams, inked with the music of shared inspiration. It was a story Tom never would have created on his own, not merely because of the crippling deadlines, but because characters themselves can sometimes sow the seeds for the stories that truly need to be told.

As they celebrated their achievement with exhilarated exhaustion, the room around them shimmered with a strange, soft glow once more. Aloura paused at the phenomena’s core, turning to face Tom with what he read to be a farewell mirroring their original greeting.

“I suppose my time here is ending,” she said, a definition of mirth and melancholy both.

Tom nodded stoically, suppressing the wave of bittersweet longing that twisted through him. “Will you remember this when you’re… back there?”

Aloura chuckled, a lilting sound that consoled more than words. “In the mind of any reader perceptive enough to see beyond the page. So technically, always.”

With that, the flicker intensified, the warping incandescence swallowed her, Aloura dispersing into the realm where fiction and fantasy breathed freely, her presence now an indelible mark not just on Tom’s work, but his life as well.

Weeks later, Tom’s book—dubbed ‘Ethereal Echoes’—graced the shelves, a surprise success acclaimed both for its wit and its strikingly insightful acknowledgment: “To Aloura, my co-author, confidante, and one-time roommate—the better part of this book’s heart and its lasting soul.”

In a twist befitting the narrative’s core, fiction became the frontier of unexpected friendship, marked by an equal partnership transcendent of paper and ink. Though Aloura resided in the bound pages of ‘Ethereal Echoes,’ Tom held on to the profound understanding they’d shared—a lesson imbued with the magic of writing and the empathy of collective purpose.

Soon, the book world bubbled with whispers—other characters, inspired by Aloura’s acknowledgment, sought recognition of themselves, their own stories harmonizing across a multitude of genres. It seemed, in this quirky corner of parallel existence, the fictional dream for acknowledgment had found its profound reality.

Tom, now an honored co-author with an extraordinary friend, understood that the most extraordinary tales, much like life, were often ripples originated from the simplest of stones.

September 01, 2024 11:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

27 comments

Carol Stewart
18:52 Sep 09, 2024

So good... Enjoyed for numerous reasons, too many to mention. The novel, technical nuances didn't escape me either. A bit of a genie in a bottle but a more unique take and the bearer of subtle but undeniable truths. Two prompts in one here too. Really well done!

Reply

Jim LaFleur
22:23 Sep 09, 2024

Thank you, Carol!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:49 Sep 09, 2024

Great narrative voice used here and I love Aloura! I need an Aloura! Sisyphean struggle .......I felt this!

Reply

Jim LaFleur
18:26 Sep 09, 2024

Thank you, Derrick!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
15:34 Sep 09, 2024

A beautiful blending of reality and fantasy. Aloura was right. Also, finishing the a story is often much harder than starting it. She rightly deserved recognition. Most definitely a novei partnership. As always, many great lines that make your writing a joy to read.

Reply

Jim LaFleur
16:20 Sep 09, 2024

Thank you so much, Helen! Your kind words mean a lot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
12:31 Sep 09, 2024

Each story starts as an idea. Help greatly appreciated. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Darvico Ulmeli
06:52 Sep 08, 2024

Sometimes I dream my character and he whisper plots and twist of the story I'm writing. Once I dreamed writing a poem and it was so good that I woke myself from the dream in the middle of the night, to write it down. I was scared that in the morning I wouldn't remember the poem. Your story reminds me of that event. Nicely done.

Reply

Jim LaFleur
09:05 Sep 08, 2024

Thanks, Darvico! I've done the exact same thing before… several times. But, I never get back to sleep!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KA James
19:15 Sep 07, 2024

While it seems a lot of stories are taking a darker view of the writing process this week, yours is much more inspirational, and it works. Aloura is a wonderfully realized character, even after she disappears back to where she came. I wouldn't mind having a writer's stone, though I'd probably end up throwing it through the laptop screen. Really enjoyed the read

Reply

Jim LaFleur
09:02 Sep 08, 2024

Thank you so much for your inspirational words!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Alexander
19:03 Sep 07, 2024

Your writing style is smooth like a pebble. I do feel though that their symbiotic partnership should have crescendoed into a flurry of ethereal coitus. Maybe in the next one. Just kidding, keeping it reader friendly. Great job, Jim.

Reply

Jim LaFleur
08:58 Sep 08, 2024

Thank you for the kind words! I’m glad you enjoyed the story. I’ll keep your suggestion in mind for future works. Just kidding also! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avery Feyrer
16:27 Sep 07, 2024

Hey Jim! I really enjoyed your story, very creative and descriptive. I pictured Tom and Aloura working hard to create the story perfectly, really great stuff!

Reply

Jim LaFleur
07:30 Sep 08, 2024

I'm thrilled you enjoyed the story. Thanks, Avery!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:47 Sep 05, 2024

Hi Jim. "characters themselves can sometimes sow the seeds for the stories that truly need to be told." I loved that line. I also loved the way you described that formidable, looming deadline. Such an interesting story to go with the prompt!

Reply

Jim LaFleur
08:31 Sep 06, 2024

Kaitlyn, thank you so much for your kind words! I’m thrilled you enjoyed that line and the story. Your feedback means a lot to me. Keep writing and sharing your amazing and inspiring insights!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Renate Buchner
18:09 Sep 05, 2024

Writing Stone - what a unique idea. Your story captivated me and I wanted to read more. Brilliant. Well done, Jim.

Reply

Jim LaFleur
22:06 Sep 05, 2024

Thank you so much, Renate! I’m thrilled to hear that you enjoyed my story. Your kind words mean a lot to me. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
McKade Kerr
04:28 Sep 03, 2024

“The vendor declared it would bring inspiration as surely as day follows night or eye-watering regret follows a third bowl of chili.” Probably one of the funniest lines I’ve ever read 😂😂😂 Great story! There was a lot of profound truth mixed in with the humor and playfulness.

Reply

Jim LaFleur
12:19 Sep 03, 2024

Thank you, McKade!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
02:18 Sep 02, 2024

Wonderful! Love it! The concept of the fiction character coming to life and being a writing partner is clever. It is also inspiring. I may imagine one of my fiction characters helping me write too!

Reply

Jim LaFleur
08:12 Sep 02, 2024

I'm glad you liked it! Thanks, Kristi, for the encouraging words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:21 Sep 01, 2024

Whoa! Excellent fulfillment of prompt and so creative. Great job.

Reply

Jim LaFleur
07:56 Sep 02, 2024

Thank you, Mary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
15:34 Sep 01, 2024

Jim, as usual, you produced such brilliantly poetic work. Got to love your gift for description. A writing stone. How creative ! Loved it ! Splendid stuff.

Reply

Jim LaFleur
07:54 Sep 02, 2024

Thank you, Alexis!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.