8 comments

General

“I’ll help,” Grace offered, with a baby on her hip and another crawling between her legs. She felt so tired. But Penelope needed her help.

“But you’ve got six kids of your own,” Penelope countered. “I’ll try to find somebody else to watch my Nicky.”

“Don’t be silly,” Grace argued. “A gaggle of 7 kids isn’t any more difficult to watch than a gaggle of 6 children. The more you put together, the more they find ways to entertain themselves.” Except for when they aggravate each other, thought Grace. Sometimes I wish Penelope wanted to watch all six of mine.

“All right, if you’re sure. But I’ll owe you.”

“You won’t owe me anything. I’m happy I can help.” I am happy to help, Grace thought. I’ve been very blessed myself.

“I know, Grace, I know. You’re an angel.”

“Can you send me the recipe for your lasagna?” Darrell asked.

“Nobody makes it as good as you do, Grace.”

“I’ll be happy to share my recipe,” Grace told him, calculating which ingredients she might need and which she already had on hand. She would need to go to the store. And someone, maybe her neighbor, Melissa, would need to come over and sit while her little ones were napping. I could use a good sit-down myself, right about now.

“Why don’t you and Johnny come over for dinner tonight? We’ll make sure he likes it before you start cooking it for him on your own.”

“Johnny’s out of town until this weekend. “I wanted to learn and practice before he gets home.”

“You come over tonight, then. And tomorrow night you can come over and practice.” Two nights in a row crossed Grace’s mind. I’m glad the house is already cleaned up.

“Only if you’re sure, Grace. But I’ll owe you.”

“You won’t owe me anything, Darrell. I’m just glad I can share my lasagna with you. And maybe with Johnny.” They are good friends of ours, Grace mused. And I’m pretty sure they have to deal with a lot of rejection, even though gay marriage is legal now.

“Are you busy today, Grace? I need to get someone to sign off on my project.”

“Not too busy to sign off on your project, Rick.” I will need to go over there to sign in person, or he’ll have to come over here.

“Wait a minute. Didn’t you say your rotator cuff was acting up? I can get Joe to do this.”

“Joe’s not feeling well, Rick. I’ll do it.” It was good that Rick remembered her rotator cuff. He was such a nice guy.

“Are you sure, Grace? I don’t want you to aggravate that shoulder.”

“I’m sure, Rick. Besides, it’ll help take my mind off the pain.” I hope it doesn’t hurt too much to sign his project. And it will take my mind off the pain. I hate being idle.

“OK Grace, but I’ll owe you a big one for this.”

“For a signature? Don’t be silly. You won’t owe me a thing.” Rick would be the one who would actually keep track, and pay her back if he thought he owed her anything. She couldn’t have that. 

“What am I going to do, Grace? I need to get to the doctor, but my Karl has the car.”

“I’ll take you there, Melissa. I’m headed in the same direction.” Grace hoped it wouldn’t count too bad against her that she just told a little white lie. Her errands took her in the other direction, across town from Melissa’s doctor.

“Really, Grace? It’s not too much trouble?”

“No trouble, really. Hop in.”

“I don’t know how to thank you for this, Grace. I’ll owe you one.”

“You don’t owe me anything, Melissa. This is what neighbors do for each other.” Well, half my neighbors would do this. The other half don’t even know my name. My, how times have changed.

“You didn’t meet my neighbors where we used to live. None of them would ever do this.”

“Then I’m glad you moved here, and that you’re my neighbor, now.” Melissa is a sweetie. I am glad she’s my neighbor.

“Can you explain this education program to me, Grace? I’m a little confused.”

“I would be happy to, Norman. Let me just get my manual. It may take a moment.” Let’s see, where did I put that thing?

“Why is that Grace? I thought you always had everything you needed right there at your fingertips. It sure seems that way.”

“Thank you for that compliment, Norman.” Don’t I wish! He’s so nice to believe that about me, though.

“And when it’s not right beside you, you come back lickety-split, like the Flash, with whatever it is you need to reference.” I don’t think I’ve ever been a lickety-split kind of person. It took me 10 years to earn that nice little Lion’s Club award. Two to do most of the work, three more to finish up, and another five to bother sending in the paperwork.

“I’m having some trouble with my rotator cuff, Norman. It’s slowing me down right now.”

“What did the doctor say about that? You did go to the doctor, didn’t you?” The doctor said I could come in two weeks from now and get an X-Ray. Meanwhile, he gave me these stupid pills - stupid because they jumble up my brain and make it hard to think, and stupid because they don’t help a lot.

“I did see the doctor, Norman. I have a follow-up scheduled in two weeks. Now let me go get that manual. I’ll be right back.”

“Don’t rush on my account, Grace. I’ll be here when you get back. And thanks again.” You’re always big on thanks and short on asking for help, Norman. I don’t mind at all.

“Here it is, on page 66 of the manual. After you hold the workshop your mentors are supposed to sign off, confirming you did it and offering their suggestions. What they thought you did well, and where you might improve.” 

“Thank you so much, Grace.”

“It’s no problem, Norman.” It’s right there on page 66, and in the Table of Contents, Norman. I’m surprised you couldn’t find that yourself. Grace sat back and shook a finger in her own face. Stop that right now, Grace McGillicuddy. There’s bound to be a good reason. And you really don’t mind helping him out.

“How did that happen, I wonder? I’m missing page 66. Thank you, Grace. I owe you big time.”

“You don’t owe me anything, Norman. You’d do the same for me, or for anyone who asked.” See? There was a good reason for him to ask. And he would help me, or anyone who asked.

Grace McGillicuddy, devoted wife, mother, grandmother, sister, aunt, and friend. An angel who helped anyone, any time, if they just asked. 1937 -

Disclaimer: All characters in this story are imaginary, even if loosely based on real people.

June 30, 2020 19:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Amith Shaju
06:31 Jul 06, 2020

Nice and sweet. Grace's thoughts were really interesting. By the way, do you have two accounts?

Reply

Ken Coomes
19:12 Jul 12, 2020

Thanks, Joseph. Yes, unfortunately I ended up with two accounts somehow. I have spoken to one of the Reedsy co-founders, and he told me they are not set up (yet) to allow deleting an account.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
12:52 Jul 12, 2020

Hello! This is so sweet. I can totally relate to Grace's character! Mind checking out my new story and giving your views on it? Also, do you have two accounts because I'm pretty sure it wasn't this account's comment on my last story! Please tell me, I'm creeped out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Neya Q
00:32 Jul 09, 2020

What a beautiful telling! I agree with Sayani, Grace's thoughts really added to the story and made it interesting. Perhaps if you were to expand this, you could talk about either Grace realizing that she's letting herself be pushed around, or her needing help/etc. and how the people around her react (making the story either happy or sad). Thank you for sharing!

Reply

Ken Coomes
19:35 Jul 09, 2020

Thanks, Romneya. I'll think about expanding; currently, I'm working on several writing projects, including an expansion of another of my Reedsy stories and a new mystery novel inspired by yet another story on Reedsy and the comments it garnered. Heading to your story next.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Enoch
22:42 Jul 08, 2020

I liked the story, however, I think Grace would have been a tad more relatable if she had more inner conflict.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sayani Sarkar
17:46 Jul 03, 2020

I think Grace's thoughts everytime she offers to help or does help adds alot more to the story than one would realise. Add to that , all the ways she's helped people brings out her character without having to explicitly do so. I like that as well. The person could easily be a next door neighbour. We all know someone like that in our lives .

Reply

Ken Coomes
18:05 Jul 03, 2020

Thank you, Sayani. I struggled with the best way to show the inner soul of an always helper (based on someone I know, glad to know that you feel we all know someone like that in our lives.) I'm headed to your story next.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.