1 comment

Contemporary Fiction Funny

"Are you hungry?" Ruth heard. She muttered a response, inaudibly. Mysteriously, she had gone to sleep last night in her own bed in her own humble pad. Crying herself to sleep, she had been broken-hearted. Ruth had phoned her big sister, the well-respected senior witching in her family.

Ruth had told big sissie her tale of woe. The debonair Old Wizard Blizzard had dumped her, ghosted her, and traded her in for firm young flesh. Humiliating. In the dark reaches of last night, her older sister, Prunella Positive Prue, had mumbled her own swearing and incantations. Yes, Ruth had been magically transported to Prue's place. She could be a new woman, it was a new day.

"Are you hungry?" Ruth listened to Prunella asking again.

"Not really. What in any witch's name are you cooking now? That aroma is totally unique. "

You see, Prunella Positive Prue was an early bird, bright and annoyingly chirpy, exploring her own creativity in advancing recipes.

"I am still broken-hearted," Ruth claimed dramatically, in this awakening dawn of a brand new day, somewhere over there. Prunella's vast cauldron was bubbling away. Ruth took the offered coffee. Prunella just said, "Oh, he was only a male. Divine energy loves males, someone needs to. He's a rat."

"I shall never recover." Ruth was making a welter of this failed romance.

"You won't be broken-hearted for long. We come from tough stock, you and I." Her big sister was full of good cheer. From her giant cooking pot, she produced her new experimental dish. "This can be our dinner tonight, Halloween special. Smelly soccer socks souffle. With shades of Maradona's toupee. It's going to be a fave, from Madrid to Dubai, ole! Oh, Happy Halloween, magic is in the air. Potions and charms, despite our flabby arms."

Ruth did smile. Prunella's poetic verse did have some merits. Too true, she did come from tough stock. Old Wizard Blizzard had joined the rats of life, a hazard for any female. But Ruth was still not hungry for this off-putting souffle, so she changed the subject.

"Yes, it is indeedy Halloween. There's a witches' dance party on tonight. Do you want to come along as my plus one? Bring that souffle, supper will be a real sensation." Ruth did come from very tough stock, Prunella's optimism was rubbing off. Maybe she could meet the ONE! Tonight was their night.

Prunella Positive Prue looked hesitant. She liked her witchbody being at home in her comfort zone. Still, the sorority had to stick together. They had good family values, after all. Anything was better than Ruth sniveling all day over that rat of a wizard. Men! If they called themselves that. Old Wizard Blizzard would get his, if Prunella caught up with him.

Ruth convinced Prunella to join her on their broomstick ride to the Halloween Dance Party. It was a massive celebration for all the covens in the land. Prunella did a bit of her own grumbling, she thought such raves played dreadfully trash music, way too loud. So she took her ear plugs, and strapped herself in for sisterly solidarity. Her platter of smelly soccer socks souffle was still rather pungent, but it might appeal to the common masses of magical witches and wizards.

Everyone knows dancing makes its own enchantment. The silvery moon was high, the potions and love philters would be in full sway. The music was always too loud, blasting away.

And so, the two sisterly witches of an indeterminate age set off, best black frocks on display. As they were zooming on their brooms, they flew across the face of the smiling moon. Prunella could not resist. As they were flying over Houston, she waved and yelled, "Howdy, NASA. I do not need rocket fuel, why do you?"

To the observers at NASA, witches that Halloween night were mere blips on the radar. No one at Houston said nothing, they were not quite game.

Three miles away from the midnight Dance Party for all witches in that nation, Ruth caught sight of Old Wizard Blizzard, flying in front of them. He too was heading to the Halloween Rave. She and Prunella took off after him, rat.

"Rat!" shrieked Prunella Positive Prue. "I am after you. No one messes with my sisters. I shall turn you into an ant. I'm only the best witch in the land, coward!" True to form, the terrified wizard sped up, leading Prunella and Ruth on a merry flight.

He was flying along, wizards can do that. The two tough witching sisters chased him all the way to Purgatory, past hills and valleys, over rivers and lakes. The trio of magical characters flew low in this mystic grey dimension of in between. Weary souls reached for Prunella's broom, yearning for her magic to rescue them, appearing in her spiritual eyes.

Prunella did catch up to OId Wizard Blizzard. His handsome face turned ashen. Prunella raised her powerful, flabby arms, and cursed the rat to be an ant, dwelling in the mists for ever more. She was the eldest sister, from an enchanting family of very tough stock.

'Family first!" Prunella said, as the two witches steered the brooms, trying to ignore the creepy grey spiders clinging to their frocks. All perfectly normal, a day and night of Halloween.

The witches' dance party was the one they would recall, in years to follow. Ruth quickly cast off her supposedly broken heart, dancing and jiving till dawn. Surprisingly, mysteriously, Prunella's supper recipe dish for smelly soccer socks souffle was the big sensation.

Magic was in the air that special Halloween night. At last, relieved she had healed her sister's broken heart, Prunella Positive Prue grabbed her platter and wearily boarded her broom.

Another awakening dawn. A brand new day. Both the slightly senior sisters had received wedding proposals at that fateful dance party for witching. Intrigued, Ruth asked Prunella if she was going to marry her new beau. He was now a huge fan of souffle and anything else she might invent in that vast, bubbling cauldron. Prunella was always the innovative one in their family, a leader of scary women.

"Nah, I am not into holy nuptials. I do not fraternize with the enemy ever again. I keep to myself."

"Oh, said Ruth, "We are all sisters under the skin. No dramas. Great dance party."

At home, Prunella Positive Prue was still bright and chirpy. Ruth went off to her sister's spare room. Old Wizard Blizzard had got his.. Revenge was sweet, he would always be an ant in Purgatory, liable to be squashed.

It was a tale of a night of magic. Hocus, Pocus, did Prunella focus!

October 19, 2023 17:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mary Bendickson
00:39 Oct 22, 2023

Toil and boil, double trouble.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.