0 comments

General

Merry moments it would be, to share the same room with one’s best friend, especially in college where every fresh face sought for peer acceptance.

My best friend, Jenna, had stayed with me for a year and now we are both sophomores. Those times spent together were most horrible moments of my life. When her presence became a torn in the flesh rather than a cloak of comfort.

A year it was, when it all started. Like the soothing relief of the evening breeze, the news of our admission to Burmey international college – one of the best schools in town – brought to us peace and joy, having waited so long to hear from the school. I and Jenna had applied for the same school. Perhaps If I knew what the future held for us, a different school would be a better resort for me.

“I’m happy we’d share a room together,” said Jenna as she offloaded her big black trolleys at one corner of her bedside.

My amber eyes scanned the room like those of a scavenging bird. Perhaps, the smell of damp air coupled with the crampiness of the room made it strange to me. Unlike Jenna whose mantra was “when you’re in Rome, behave like a Roman,” she could blend with anything. “Invisible blender” was the name her attitude earned her during college. A bit bizarre it was for me to quickly adapt.

After about a mid-way run into the session, Burmey became my breath. Straight A’s in most grades, sexiest look magnetizing every feeble male on campus, I soon became the most popular in the school as I was no match to anyone in basketball.

Yes! Basket ball! The cause of our solid ball of friendship being thrown into a holed basket. I was in the Eagles team, Jenna joined the Lions perhaps because all Lionites were rich and famous.

Our first match against one another ended with a furious fight in the room. The Eagles had plucked out the Lions’ eyes by defeating them with five points ahead. Perhaps her rabid anger would have subsided if my sharp beak wasn’t the one that tore the Lions apart with the final goal points at the die minutes.

“You are evil Kate!” she said as she slammed the door. I watched her through the blurred window. A perfect ebony she was with an athletic body. She stumped through the corridor, shouting and shrieking like a night owl.

The following morning, neither the chirping sounds of the quail birds nor the early morning chills woke me but Jenna’s jarring voice wiped sleep off my eyes.

“Open this damn door Kate!” she barked, “or I will tear it open”

She indeed tore it open. She had stormed in like a burst water pipe, smashed the door and headed for her bed without a sound. We both played deaf and dumb throughout that day. We spoke not to each other.

In the hearty story of these two friends was the presence of a manly figure whose name was Douglas. Douglas was a rich spoilt guy I fell for in high school. Douglas was as popular as I was and we both were a perfect match. Just like the insects and the flowers, we were always together. Jenna never liked it. Being the most popular was her thing and having a guy like Douglas would do one thing for sure, fill her rivers of fame beyond measure.

The annual Burmey international competition started with a flick of fire. All the teams had tenacious drills in preparation. One month free trip to New Zealand for five members of the winning team was enticing enough to demand such rigorous exercise. I myself had extra times of practice as I had promised Douglas to win the contest for my team.

The flood of frenzied teams flushed flimsy teams off the board. Even the great Lions could not survive the enormous torrent. Jenna had wept the whole day. Only the Eagles soared to the finals, a face off with the Wildlings of the Mandrick high school. 

Sea of heads filled the Burmey stadium. It was a great sight to behold. The match between the Wildlings and the Eagles. Hardly would a fly miss it but Douglas and Jenna were nowhere to be found. It was like searching for a pin in a mob. A futile search it was.

It was the final round and yet not one point scored by the Eagles. The Wildlings tied our wings having smashed us with ten points ahead in the first two quarters. I was discouraged. Where was Jenna? Where was Douglas? Their shadows were not present. But I had to win. I had to show everyone the stuff I was made of. I had to show Jenna that I was better than her.

The Eagles managed to equalize before the last final quarter and then both teams sought for that final winning throw that would end the game.

The last quarter would be intense and both teams were prepared for it. At the sound of the whistle, I sizzled through the pitch, received a pass and headed for the opponent three-point line. I made a quick and powerful one motion shot and there it was, inside the net. Three points awarded to the Eagles. Noise broke out in hysteria. The Burmeyians shouted more and more:

“Eagle Kate! Eagle Kate! Eagle Kate!”

That was all I needed. Five seconds to the end, I made one final slam-dunk shot at the two-point line. The ball took a parabolic curve with me. Silence, as all eyes followed its path. It dashed through the net. Yes! It was a win for the Burmeyians!. The Eagles did it! I did it!

The match ended. I sprang off to my room like lightning, I needed to share the news with Douglas or Jenna. I flashed through the corridor, jabbed my door open, and there they were. Jenna and Douglas lurked in each others arms on my bed.

At that moments, all my joy of winning was buried in a sinking ship. My breath became still and hot. I shouted

“Douglas! Jenna! How could you?”

Douglas tip-toed out of the room like a scared antelope. I was left with Jenna standing to my face. I grabbed her by the hair, smashed her face against the pillow.

“You old stinking Jenna! A bitch you are. You wanna take all from me. ” I hit the back of her head with my small palm. “I am the best. Better than you. Everyone hates you. You’ll never be loved. You’ll forever be alone bitch!” I stumbled out of the room. Beneath the blossom flowers near my hostel, there I wept bitterly.

A week after, my visa to New Zealand was ready, tucked in the back pockets of my black jean. We were ready to take off. But how could I leave without informing Jenna. She was my friend. I wanted to apologize before I left. I found Jenna at the basket ball pitch practicing. She dodged as she sighted me afar off. 

“Hey Jenna,” I said walking towards her. “I’m really sorry Jenna. I know it might take you time but please forgive me." I moved closer to her. “Just wanna let you know that I’ll be off to New Zealand in less than hour. Bye. ”

To my shocking surprise, Jenna hugged me and I became stiff. Jenna never let things go easily. Was this a trick? She whispered to me,

“I forgive you. I’m supposed to be on that trip you know. Just be careful Kate. ”

She left me standing with mouth left ajar. I was running late. I needed to go through passport verification protocol at the airport.

Chills ran down my spine an hour later when the fair young lady at the airport requested my passport and I couldn’t provide it. 

“It was just here,” I shouted. I tucked out my back pockets for them to see. It was empty. But it was there an hour ago.

The rest of my team including my coach gazed at me with much surprise. Tears gathered in my eyes like a clustered cloud before the rain. My coach walked up to me. She held me and said.

“It’s okay Kate. I’m sorry. But maybe next time. Our plane will soon take off

“No!” I roared. “It was right here in my pocket. ” Tears trickled down my face with staggering steps. Beads of sweats lined the creases on my forehead. An hour ago, I was with Jenna. Oh! Jenna! I stormed back to the pitch in a race to find Jenna. But she was gone. Sources claimed she left school without any notice and no one knew her whereabouts. Just about an hour ago. I bent down on the pitch. My kneels too weak to rise. She must have taken the passport when she hugged me. I was careless, she told me to be careful. I was a fool. I cried out in agony. Just about a minute before the plane took off. I missed my flight. I cried out and muttered Jenna’s name.

“Jenna! Jenna! Jenna!” 


December 03, 2019 20:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.