0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

Zygos is territory on planet tellus (earths’s twin, 800 years behind, evolving). There if you mention the name Hicoq, anyone would say you are referring to a wealthy man of the place. Though he was descended from a humble fisherman’s family, he had by his enterprise started a shipping company for passengers. His boats were strong and reliable and people mostly preferred to travel in them. Hicoq lived in Zygos with his wife and only son Coq. The father had tried to induct the son into the family’s business activity but had failed. The reason: The son sought a martial career. Coq was tall handsome and well-built and at 17 chose to enlist in the Zygos army. After a spell of service he quit the army and sailed to neighbouring Rubi Isle hoping to join RI’s fighting forces.

Reaching RI, Coq resided in style in a big rented house arranged by his close friend Jaq whose family had resettled in RI from Zygos. Jaq was the son of a wealthy citizen. Jaq and Coq would often go riding on horseback or on chariots to pass time.

One day Jaq said “Coq, there is to be a big gathering and feast at my place to celebrate the start of summer next week. You must also come. I’ll introduce you to important people.” Coq agreed.

Coq went to Jaq’s mansion on the appointed day. As he had said Jaq introduced Coq to many VIPs.

Jaq said “Coq, let me introduce you to Xima. She is a beautiful girl. Helps her father who runs different businesses. She is very intelligent. You know I’m engaged to be married or I would have myself proposed to her.”

Jaq made the introduction and Coq fell in love. After that first meeting the two met several times as she was also drawn towards him. At a party hosted by him, Coq proposed to Xima and she accepted.  Coq said “We’ll fix a date for the nuptials when my parents will also join.”

Only a few days later, Coq met Xima and said “I’ve bad news. I’ve told you my dad runs passenger boats. He had travelled with a set of people on one of his boats and it is reported to be missing. I’ve to go home. I’ll be back soon.”

When Coq reached Zygos he was very sorry to see his mother in mourning. On seeing him she said “I’m glad you returned. With your dad gone, I have no one to turn to.”

After he had made enquiries Coq told her “Mama, Dad’s boat collided with another on the high seas. Some people have been rescued and are being brought back. Don’t lose hope.”

As was hoped Hicoq came home. He had been rescued and taken to another shore from where he had found his way home. There was celebration at Hicoq’s home. After a few days at home, Coq said to his mother “Mama, let me return to RI.”

She said “Don’t leave me and go away. We’re together after many years.” She paused and added “I want to see you wedded. I’ve found the girl for you. You must remember Violi with whom you had played as a child. Her father is a jeweller and has amassed money. Violi has been brought up in our tradition and will suit you well. She is beautiful. Your Dad and I look forward to seeing the little ones descended from us.”

Coq was silent remembering his promise to Xima. But he was Mama’s dutiful son and dare not disobey her.

Coq’s mom arranged a family get-together where Violi came with her parents. Coq’s mom was happy to see her son meting Violi and talking to each other. Afterwards when they were alone Coq’s mom said “Coq you met Violi again after years. She will be a very good wife for you. I spoke to her parents and they have agreed for the wedding to be held in a fortnight from now. I’m starting to get ready with the wedding arrangements.”

The wedding took place as scheduled. It was now well past three months since Coq had arrived at home. He felt guilty at not having kept up his word to Xima. But he couldn’t help it. Weeks passed and Coq started feeling that Violi wasn’t suiting him. She had independent views and was high handed. He knew he couldn’t tolerate such behaviour. He complained to his mom and she tried to patch up the differences but to no avail.

Coq told his mom “Mama, let me go to RI for a while. My absence may cause some reform in Violi.”

Coq reached RI and spoke to Xima. He said “Xima, I was forced into a wedding with Violi by my mom whom I couldn’t displease. But I am unhappy with Violi. I’ll take you as my second wife.”

Xima said “I won’t be your second wife.”

“There is an alternative. I’ll divorce Violi and then marry you.”

“I refuse to have anything to do with you as you haven’t kept your word.”

“You can’t refuse. I’ll find a solution by appealing to judge cum mediator Velcro.”

“That won’t change the situation.”

Nevertheless Coq approached Velcro. A word about Velcro. He was a young man well versed in law and very intelligent and was an appointee of the king to the high post. But he was a double dealing character: Hear this story: A judge, before a case commenced one morning, declared he had an announcement to make: “Last night plaintiff came and gave me 2000 in our currency to decide in his favour. This morning the respondent met me and gave me 2500 to decide the case in his favour. I now return 500 to respondent and will proceed to judge the case on merits.” Velcro belonged to this breed of public functionaries who only know how to help themselves!

Velcro summoned Coq and Xima before him to hear the case.

Coq deposed: “It is true I promised to wed Xima. But I am a dutiful son and in obeying my mother had to marry Violi. I told Xima that I would take her as my second wife but she didn’t agree. I next said I would divorce Violi and then marry Xima, but she wouldn’t accept that proposal as well. How can she withdraw now when we had solemnly mutually agreed to marry?”

Xima said “I now say that I don’t want to have anything to do with Coq.”

Velcro said “The case is very complicated. I would need time to understand Xima’s stand. I have to discuss with her. Case is adjourned.”

After a few days Velcro summoned Coq and said “I’ve spoken extensively to Xima and can understand her view. There is no witness to her having agreed to marry you. It is only your word. I have to decide in her favour. Forget her.”

As Coq stood disappointed Velcro said “I had come to know Xima well and she has accepted to marry me. It will take place shortly. A word of advice to you: Divorce from Violi is quite useless. One gets married for lack of judgment then gets divorced for lack of patience. And finally one remarries for lack of memory. Remember these words. Patch up with Violi.”

In his anger Coq said “Your marriage will be due to lack of judgment. You will learn.”

Velcro laughed and said “Wish me well. That is why we invite multiple guests so that their combined well wishes will make the couple endure the marriage!”

END

July 05, 2022 02:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.