0 comments

Fiction Friendship Romance

The constant clump of feet against stone, the buzz of hundreds of voices, the din of cars beeping, the wailing of sirens, and the rush of cars passing filled the air. Countless smells were swept all over, carried by occasional gusts of cool wind. Thousands of colorful lights flickered on, shining in the growing twilight. Paper scraps, deformed plastic bags, and dry leaves skittered down the pavement. 

Abri bounced up and down on the balls of her feet, her eyes fixed on the red hand stopping her from crossing the road. She glanced at her watch impatiently. 7:04. 

She was already ten minutes later than usual. She exhaled heavily, watching the rainbow of cars flash by. She glanced at the sky. It would be dark before too long. Why had she waited? Did she really think Jacob would have shown up? He couldn’t have. He was gone, miles away from New York. 

She shook her head quickly and redirected her gaze. The light across the road flashed to the white walk symbol. Two cars pulled to a stop before the painted lines.

Abri glanced both ways then jogged across the road. Now on the sidewalk she slowed to a brisk stride. Her eyes followed the shop signs. A breakfast café, windows dark and reflecting the light of the street lamps. She smiled sadly and slowed to a walk, remembering a certain meal there with Lisa. Three months ago. Lisa was gone too. She was alone in a city full of people.

Abri pressed her lips together and hurried on. A bright pink makeup store. Three tall apartment buildings with dirty bricks and white trim. 

The looming clouds quietly rumbled above the city noise. Abri glanced up at the blackening sky. Her pace quickened. The smell of rain began to overpower any other smell. Several drops fell from the sky, greeting the ground with wet smacks. Abri brushed a raindrop off her cheek. The rain sped up, creating an overpowering patter which turned into a hiss of constant downpour. 

Abri ran. Thunder rumbled louder now. Umbrellas were opened and raised. People ran for cover. Each car that passed had window wipers rhythmically swiping vainly at the liquid. Every step was greeted by a splash. 

She was beginning to feel the icy water soaking into her socks through her black Converse shoes. A yellow taxi whizzed by sending a wave of puddle spraying onto the sidewalk. Abri dodged a short lady carrying a blue umbrella.

A group of people were hurrying down the street opposite the direction she was running. She slowed and entered a chaos of ducking, weaving, and squeezing between strangers. Once clear of the group, Abri released a sigh and shook her head. Her soaked ponytail slapped against her cheek. 

She jogged on, breathing heavily. She glanced sideways at the diner, all those people. Abri paused, and watched the many couples sitting together. Warm, dry, and happy. If only Jacob could be here. Abri shivered and refocused on the street ahead of her. She would have to cross another road soon. 

Then the white walk symbol changed to the blinking red hand. 15... Abri sprinted, her blue capris sticking to her legs. 14...13... She narrowly dodged a man with a black hat. 12...11...10... A police car sped by, lights flashing and sirens wailing. 9...8... Out of her peripheral vision she saw a figure leaning against the wall. 7...6...

She reached the corner... just as a huge man dashed around it right towards her. There was an audible crack as the two runners collided and toppled over the curb, smacking into hard asphalt. For a moment, Abri panicked. It was dark. She couldn’t breathe. The man sat up, still on her legs. A car honked and screeched out of the way. Abri shrieked. The man jumped up and dashed off. Two arms reached around her and pulled her back to the sidewalk, just as another car zoomed by. 

Abri sat on the curb gasping. She felt blood trickle down her cheek. She doubled over, a sob escaping the shaky hand she pressed over her lips. Someone knelt beside her and put a rough hand on her shoulder. She stiffened. It was a man.

“Hey, are you alright?” The voice was gentle and...familiar. 

She turned to face him, mouth open slightly. She stared for a moment, blinking water from her eyes.

“Jacob?” Her voice was breathless and tight.

The man’s eyes widened. “Abri!”

“W-what are you doing here?” Abri managed to gasp. This couldn’t be Jacob. He was supposed to be in Washington. But it was.

Jacob smiled. “I finished the aviation course early and caught a flight back. I knew you were here somewhere.”

Abri shook her head, trying not to cry. “What?”

“I was waiting for you.”

“You were?”

“Yes, and it’s a good thing I was.” He grinned. 

She laughed breathlessly and burst into tears. Jacob wrapped his arms around her, holding her tight. They sat like that on the curb on the road. Soaking wet, but hardly minding. Abri’s tears faded away. Jacob finally let go.

“We should go,” He murmured.

She nodded, “Do you want to go to Jerome’s for dinner?”

“Of course.” He stood up and offered her a hand. She took it and he pulled her to her feet. Leaning against him and with his arm around her shoulders, Abri let herself be led across the road and down the dark street. They were quiet for a few blocks, then Jacob spoke.

“You were later than usual. Why?”

Abri smiled, “I was waiting for you.”

“For me?” 

She giggled. “Yes! I don’t know why. I thought you might have come.”

He shook his head incredulously and chuckled. “Really? What a coincidence.”

She nodded. Another block was passed in silence.

“Jacob,” Abri whispered.

“Yes?” He looked down at her.

Abri wanted to say everything. How much she had missed him, how thankful she was he had come, and how much she didn’t want him to leave. But it was impossible to put into words.

“Thank you,” was all she whispered.

March 24, 2023 20:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.