Battle of the Sexes

Submitted into Contest #249 in response to: Write a story about a tennis match between two rivals.... view prompt

62 comments

Drama Historical Fiction Speculative

Battle of the Sexes


So does this mean it has finally been settled? Once and for all? Considering the debate has been raging since... well, since the beginning of time really! Who believes Adam fully forgave Eve for offering that piece of fruit? Even if they managed to populate the world nearly single-handed afterwards don't you think he harbored a little resentment for making him work so hard to feed all those hungry mouths? Must have been some bad blood brewing below the surface. Something somehow needling him knowing she had fallen for that sly, sleek serpent talk thereby banning them from the perfect garden where they had it made in the shade?

And they were only the first in a long line of couples putting on moves, vying for the upper hand, battling for bragging rights and who knows what else:

Jezebel's nemeses was Israel's prophet, Elijah, whom she wanted to kill after he showed up all the prophets of her false Baal gods. His Almighty God produced fire to consume the water-logged offering. Her gods failed. Yet the beautiful queen was the one finally going to the dogs, so to speak.

Samson and Delilah lived an unfortunate classic story of betrayal. That haircut cost both their lives.

Henry VIII held his six wives' fates in his hand - divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived. Talk about hard to live with!

There have been cases beginning with the death of a rival as in David and Bethsheba, or ending in the death of one partner like OJ and Nicole.

Or consider fictional shaky love stories like Scarlet and Rhett or more modern day Ross and Rachel.

Even 'I Love Lucy', the classic television series, ended in divorce for the stars, Desi and Lucy.

So the battle of the sexes has raged on...

But it was supposedly settled in 1973, right? That is what this match-up was billed as. The event was hyped all summer and concluded on September 20th in front of 30,472 in-house attendees and an estimated 90 million television viewers. It has to be true with that many witnesses!

A somewhat braggart, over-the-hill, past his prime, self-professed male chauvinist pig challenged a younger, in her prime, top of her game woman libber to play him for a $100,000 purse. Winner take all.

Oh, he strutted about with a cocky attitude. Maybe had the right since he had already challenged and beaten another top contender only a few months before. For that one he trained extensively and won easily. Interestingly dubbed the 'Mother's Day Massacre', he became over confident so lived the good life all summer sure he could repeat the feat.

But he may have underestimated his opponent's resolve. She spent the summer racking up even more wins for herself making her name well known in the circuit as the one to beat.

The match commenced with a burst of showmanship. Wearing a jacket emblazoned with 'Sugar Daddy' he stormed the humongous spaceship shaped arena in a rickshaw surrounded by a bevy of beauties. Likewise, she graced a glittery golden litter borne by bare-chested muscled he-men. The gauntlet thrown. Let the games begin.

He toyed with her. Didn't even bother to remove his warm-up jacket the first several plays. He should have been more serious. There was no love between these two. No matter how backhanded he tried to be she was on top of her ball. Served him right.

Her approach spun him one way then the other. She painted the baseline then came right back at him with a passing shot. He would slice away at a half volley and only manage to drop a shot. She could serve up an ace any time and smash his volley to pieces. His ground stroke went broke so sent an easy lob into her court where she could take it inside in or inside out. Add a little topspin and she had the advantage. She held one point away from game.

There were some junk balls and some jamming on both sides. An occasional let or fault which only proved they were human. After all, he was old enough to join AARP and she was still making a name for herself. There may be room for friendship when the deal is done but for now there were still a few deuces to go. This was no walk in the park, no picnic on the lawn. This was real.

A nasty rumor was brewing that he intended to throw in the towel all along to clear up some bad gambling debts. Supposedly some meeting had gone down with Mafia types a few weeks before. Rumors waft around sometimes with no substance to them but he did like to play in Vegas a bit in the years following this spectacle...

Oh, sorry, back to the action. The rally looped on with top spins and back spins, backhands and forehands. Shots to the alley and baseline. Kick serves, cannonballs and deep shots. The upset was set up. Breaking point after breaking point. She pulled ahead.

She could taste the victory. Envisioning her establishment as a progressive force within her chosen sport she remembered her creation of WTA over the past summer and the success of getting equal pay with the male athletes in major professional events. Undeniably, she was a force to be reckoned with on or off the playing venue.

Twenty-nine-year-old, five time Wimbledon winner, Billy Jean King, won the much touted tennis match 6-4, 6-3, 6-3 and- following a celebratory victorious toss of King's racket- a sweaty, tired, defeated, fifty-five-year-old, Bobby Riggs, former men's champion of the sport, hopped the net and supposedly whispered “I underestimated you” into her ear.

King went on building her legendary tennis career with numerous Grand Slam championships and became an active activist in the blossoming women's rights movement. Riggs retired to Las Vegas as a tennis pro making wagers on whatever wandered his way. A later investigation questioned circumstantial evidence that the show was rigged but tennis experts remain split as to whether or not the Battle to end all Battles was thrown by Riggs or if he was simply bested by a better and younger player. Therefore, perhaps the most watched ever tennis match held in the Houston Astrodome more than fifty years ago ultimately did not settle the age old question.

Alas, the battle of the sexes still rages on. But what an enticing game it is!


.




May 07, 2024 23:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

62 comments

Irene Duchess
17:11 May 08, 2024

No idea how to play tennis, but enjoyed this story a lot. Love the Bible tie-in too.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:37 May 08, 2024

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Annie Persson
16:26 May 08, 2024

This was really funny and I loved how you related it back to the Bible. Well done! :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:37 May 08, 2024

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
10:57 May 08, 2024

A great battle, well told.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
11:56 May 08, 2024

Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Renate Buchner
08:10 May 08, 2024

You didn't go into great depth about the game, but enough to give me a good idea of what was going on. Well told, Mary.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
11:55 May 08, 2024

I watch my grandson play tennis and can barely keep up with the scoring so didn't want to let my ignorance show too much.😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
06:05 May 08, 2024

Hi Mary, this was a great solid story! I really enjoyed reading this one. It was a little on the short side, but not all stories need to be long. You did a great job putting this tale together, and I loved it! :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
11:51 May 08, 2024

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurie Spellman
02:36 May 08, 2024

I loved this story. What a great choice and well told.🎾🎾🎾

Reply

Mary Bendickson
02:51 May 08, 2024

Thanks! And thanks for the rackets.😆🎾

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:54 May 08, 2024

I'm so glad you didn't bog the story down with a hit by hit account of the whole game and lots of 'love' spread around.. (I didn't believe this was the sort of action suggested by the prompt) You transformed it into a story with a moral. May the best woman win. Of course she did! 'Love'd it. I'm sure you took poetic license for the sake of the battle, but . . . When Samson actually died he took heaps of Philistines down with him (Probably not Jezebel) and his hair had grown back. The moving of the two pillars and the house fell down story....

Reply

Mary Bendickson
02:36 May 08, 2024

I did not go back and reread Samson and Delila. Thought I remembered well enough. Figured she must have died with the multitudes of Philistines. The story about Jezebel and Elijah was correct and yes she was eaten by dogs. Were there two Jezebels? Elijah was not a romantic interest but she did despise him. The dog episode happened after Elijah was gone. Not arguing, you know your stuff too well. Just going by what I found. Some remembered from Bible stories, some not so much. Thanks for liking and fact checking.😁

Reply

09:30 May 08, 2024

Thats ok. It wasn't a criticism. Just had to include a few facts. Interesting stories. You are correct. Jezebel wanted to kill Elijah and all the prophets. She killed heaps of them. Only one evil Jezebel. Just as well, as she did enough damage. Stayed around a bit too long. As for her getting eaten by dogs, Jezebel died after being thrown out of the upper window, as ordered by Jehu. He wanted her to be buried (daughter of a king and all that) but when they went to collect her body, there wasn't left much to bury.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
00:04 May 08, 2024

Brilliant take on the prompt, Mary. Absolutely brilliant.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
02:23 May 08, 2024

Well, thank you so much! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.